Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017 shortlist revealed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42078693

Elise Christie - Short Track Speed Skating; Sir Mo Farah - Athletics, Chris Froome - Cycling, Lewis Hamilton - F1, Anthony Joshua - Boxing, Harry Kane - Footballm Johanna Konta - Tennis, Jonnie Peacock - Para-athletics, Adam Peaty - Swimming, Jonathan Rea - Motorcycling, Anya Shrubsole - Cricket, Bianca Walkden - Taekwondo

Should be quite open this year

Comments

• edited November 2017
    No personality blah blah blah

Never heard of most of them blah blah blah

Murray is boring, Hamilton a tax dodger, Mo a cheat, waste of time blah blah blah

Used to be good programme, meaningless now wobble wibble
  • Harry Kane - why?

All its gonna do is guarantee tens of thousands of Spurs fans will vote. The year Giggs won it was a joke and the same could happen again.

Froome or Hamilton for me.

Joshua possibly, and I am lacking boxing knowledge, but how many fights has he won this year and what's the standard of fighter he has been beating?
  • Harry Kane - why?

All its gonna do is guarantee tens of thousands of Spurs fans will vote. The year Giggs won it was a joke and the same could happen again.

Froome or Hamilton for me.

Joshua possibly, and I am lacking boxing knowledge, but how many fights has he won this year and what's the standard of fighter he has been beating?

AJ is a nailed on certainty.
  • AJ for me. Fight against Wlad was really exciting. Most recent fight wasn't.
  • Used to be a nice little program on the last Wednesday of November. It was then Sports Review of the Year with a couple of awards at the end. You voted for who you wanted and not who the BBC decided ticked their boxes. You cut out a coupon in the Radio Times and sent it in. Now you have to phone a premium phone line. Now it's just a noisy overblown egofest.
  • Froome would be my choice but I'm guessing that Joshua will win it.
  • Harry Kane in 2017 has 40 club goals and 7 international goals, that's up there with the best players in the world at the moment
  • Wot about Lewis?
    Got to be , surely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Froome for me
  • Leuth said:

Wot about Lewis?
    Got to be , surely.

Fails both the 'sports' and the 'personality' criteria
    4 time F1 World Champion would suggest otherwise.

And one of the most articulate sportsmen we have. Can see what elements would rub on some I suppose.

Of the contenders who does have a personality that qualifies?
  • only joshua and hamilton can win this and joshua will probably romp home. 3rd could be tight with the irish vote making it close between rea and froome
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42078693

Elise Christie - Short Track Speed Skating; Sir Mo Farah - Athletics, Chris Froome - Cycling, Lewis Hamilton - F1, Anthony Joshua - Boxing, Harry Kane - Footballm Johanna Konta - Tennis, Jonnie Peacock - Para-athletics, Adam Peaty - Swimming, Jonathan Rea - Motorcycling, Anya Shrubsole - Cricket, Bianca Walkden - Taekwondo

What... No RD?
  • Between AJ & Hamilton, think I'd go Hamilton just.
  • JamesSeed said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42078693

Nailed on Froome. Ironically he doesn't really have much of a personality.
    Should be but he won’t get it.
  • Has to be Froome, will be a travesty if it isn't.

Winning his 4th Tour and La Veulta in the same year is amazing, it puts him in such an elite group in cycling.

I also think he's a great understated leader in the cycling world which it really needs at the moment. He's also refused to back Brailsford, and other dodgy characters in the depressing things which have come out surrounding Wiggins TDF win in 2012 which I think says alot about his character, morals and principles.

I think the cycling world will look back on Chris Froome and see him as one of the true greats of the sport, both on and off the bike (and he's still got a few years in him for sure!).

Fully agreed.
  • AJ nailed on

Wouldn't be my choice but don't think it'll even be close
  • Sponsored links:

• Has to be Froome, will be a travesty if it isn't.

Winning his 4th Tour and La Veulta in the same year is amazing, it puts him in such an elite group in cycling.

I also think he's a great understated leader in the cycling world which it really needs at the moment. He's also refused to back Brailsford, and other dodgy characters in the depressing things which have come out surrounding Wiggins TDF win in 2012 which I think says alot about his character, morals and principles.

I think the cycling world will look back on Chris Froome and see him as one of the true greats of the sport, both on and off the bike (and he's still got a few years in him for sure!).

Froome is definitely a great, and his reaction to the scandals, and his thoughts at the time about what happened stand him in high regard,

His lack of Britishness does concern me though, virtually none of his life has been spent in this country.
  • It has to be AJ or for me one of the bravest bastards in any sport, Johnny Rea.
  • Can't believe everyone so far is ignoring Mo !
  • Can't believe everyone so far is ignoring Mo !

He's a cheat apparently...
  • This used to be a great programme, but it's meaningless now. Most of them don't have a personality and some of them I've never even heard of. Those that I have heard of are either tax dodgers or cheats. It really is a waste of time in my opinion.

Hilarious!
  • I couldn’t stand the bloke but there is only one who should be on it and who should’ve won it

Jermaine Defoe for making Bradley Lowry’s life a bit more bearable and giving him real love and happiness for the remainder of his little life

RIP little big man

I now won’t have a word said against Defoe I apologise for the names I called him

You and me both - a real role model and forgiven a thousand times over.
  • AJ all day long
  • Dissapointed no nomination for Defoe,

Its not best sportsperson of the year or who has won the most, its who has stood.out the most, he has gone above and beyond.

This year he went out of his way on more than one occassion for Bradley Lowry thats a true Sports Personality and I cant belive he is not even nominated.