Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Weight Loss Routine in the Gym

Comments

• P.s sorry for hijacking but wanted to dismiss some myths.
  • what's a gym?

I'm with you on that one Mr Large. ;)
  • T_C_E said:

what's a gym?

TCE, you missed 2 days of exercising, must try harder.
  • T_C_E said:

what's a gym?

TCE, you missed 2 days of exercising, must try harder.
    I dont know about you, but these watches sure have a way of making me feel guilty on a rest day! ;)
  • what's a gym?

A bloke who opens and closes his hand whilst resting it on his forehead going "nick, nick".
  • what's a gym?

• I wonder if Rothko is thinking.....'has my post been modded?'
  • Short intervals is the key, mainly with weights.
    Try the big three (bench press, squats, deadlifts) lifting a weight that starts to feel uncomfortable after 10/15 reps then when you’re done set the timer on your phone for 45 seconds and go again.
    Hours of mindless cycling is a myth.
    Try the big three (bench press, squats, deadlifts) lifting a weight that starts to feel uncomfortable after 10/15 reps then when you’re done set the timer on your phone for 45 seconds and go again.

If cardio is your thing though, running is the one but keep it short and sweet, 20 to 30 minutes at a good pace rather than 1 hour of slow jogging.

If cardio is your thing though, running is the one but keep it short and sweet, 20 to 30 minutes at a good pace rather than 1 hour of slow jogging.
    Not sure that's true tbh - slow running at say 60-70% of max heart rate will keep you in the fat burning zone.
  • Sponsored links:

Not sure that's true tbh - slow running at say 60-70% of max heart rate will keep you in the fat burning zone.
    The Fat burning zone is not an exact science and as such does not aid in burning more calories than working harder for a shorter period of time - in reality you'll get somewhat similar results in terms of calorie burning.

However if you do 20-30 minutes it becomes tolerable whereas for most an hour is boring as hell.

If Sally exercises at 65 percent of her maximum heart rate, she burns 150 calories in 30 minutes.
    Of those, 50 percent (or 75 calories) will come from fat.

If she increases her intensity to 85 percent of her maximum heart rate, she burns 210 calories. Only 40.5 percent of those come from fat, but that totals 85 fat calories--10 more than she would burn at the lower intensity.

So even though your body uses a higher percentage of calories from fat at the lower intensity, it still uses more overall fat at higher intensities because the total number of calories you burn is higher.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Short intervals is the key, mainly with weights.

The Fat burning zone is not an exact science and as such does not aid in burning more calories than working harder for a shorter period of time - in reality you'll get somewhat similar results in terms of calorie burning.

However if you do 20-30 minutes it becomes tolerable whereas for most an hour is boring as hell.

If Sally exercises at 65 percent of her maximum heart rate, she burns 150 calories in 30 minutes.
    Of those, 50 percent (or 75 calories) will come from fat.

If she increases her intensity to 85 percent of her maximum heart rate, she burns 210 calories. Only 40.5 percent of those come from fat, but that totals 85 fat calories--10 more than she would burn at the lower intensity.

So even though your body uses a higher percentage of calories from fat at the lower intensity, it still uses more overall fat at higher intensities because the total number of calories you burn is higher.
    Guess it's a question of stamina and boredom threshold then...
  • edited November 2017

Short intervals is the key, mainly with weights.

High intense burns fat.
    Low or medium intensity burns energy and muscle.

However everyone is different no right or wrong answer, all trial and error.
  • milo said:

These are a few things that worked for me:

Engage in high intensity interval eating: this is where you chew your food really quickly for thirty seconds and then chew really slowly for thirty seconds. Repeat until the whole meal is completed.

Intermittent sporadic fasting: similar to intermittent fasting, however, you do not eat between the hours of 9am and 9pm and then between the hours of 9pm and 9am starve yourself.

Shivering is a great way to lose weight and cold exposure converts white fat to healthy brown fat. Wear as little clothes as possible to take advantage of this, work naked if possible. If you do have to wear clothes make sure they are really tight around your stomach area so you can fit less food in.

Drink lots of water: it takes one kcal of energy to raise one litre of water by one degree centigrade. Your pee is at a temperature of 37 degrees (body temp), if you drink a litre of tap water at 20 degrees, you burn 17 kcal getting it up to body temperature. If you drink ice water at zero degrees a litre will burn 37 degrees. This can be increased still further by drinking liquid nitrogen.

Also, carrying bottles of water around burns calories with the additional weight – make sure you urinate back into the empty bottles you drank from so that your rucksack weighs the same on the way back from work as the way there.

Metabolic travelling: On the way to work get off of the bus one stop early and walk, each day get off the an extra stop earlier. Keep doing this until you have the whole journey to walk - then start getting on the bus in the opposite direction going one stop in the wrong direction. Add an extra stop each day until you spend as much time travelling as you are working. For advanced trainers replace walking with running and bus journeys with getting the train.

NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Whatever you are doing do it standing up, typing, reading, drinking, defecating, even sleeping. Set the countdown timer on your phone and every four minutes go for a walk around the building, factory, site, office or wherever you work, do star jumps as you walk. Always use the stairs, if you are forced to get in a lift bounce up and down until you reach your desired floor.

Brilliant. Thanks Milo, that started my day with a chuckle (unfortunately on the train).
  • edited November 2017

milo said:

These are a few things that worked for me:

Engage in high intensity interval eating: this is where you chew your food really quickly for thirty seconds and then chew really slowly for thirty seconds. Repeat until the whole meal is completed.

Intermittent sporadic fasting: similar to intermittent fasting, however, you do not eat between the hours of 9am and 9pm and then between the hours of 9pm and 9am starve yourself.

Shivering is a great way to lose weight and cold exposure converts white fat to healthy brown fat. Wear as little clothes as possible to take advantage of this, work naked if possible. If you do have to wear clothes make sure they are really tight around your stomach area so you can fit less food in.

Drink lots of water: it takes one kcal of energy to raise one litre of water by one degree centigrade. Your pee is at a temperature of 37 degrees (body temp), if you drink a litre of tap water at 20 degrees, you burn 17 kcal getting it up to body temperature. If you drink ice water at zero degrees a litre will burn 37 degrees. This can be increased still further by drinking liquid nitrogen.

Also, carrying bottles of water around burns calories with the additional weight – make sure you urinate back into the empty bottles you drank from so that your rucksack weighs the same on the way back from work as the way there.

Metabolic travelling: On the way to work get off of the bus one stop early and walk, each day get off the an extra stop earlier. Keep doing this until you have the whole journey to walk - then start getting on the bus in the opposite direction going one stop in the wrong direction. Add an extra stop each day until you spend as much time travelling as you are working. For advanced trainers replace walking with running and bus journeys with getting the train.

NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Whatever you are doing do it standing up, typing, reading, drinking, defecating, even sleeping. Set the countdown timer on your phone and every four minutes go for a walk around the building, factory, site, office or wherever you work, do star jumps as you walk. Always use the stairs, if you are forced to get in a lift bounce up and down until you reach your desired floor.

Brilliant. Thanks Milo, that started my day with a chuckle (unfortunately on the train).

I hope you weren't seated on the train – you won’t get the behind you want by just sitting on it.

When travelling I always try to stand whilst doing bicep curls with my briefcase. At every station I do plyometric jumps in the doorway leaping on and off of the carriage from the platform.

Remember looking is an exercise too, stare out the window at things in the distance to burn additional calories. Heavy breathing is also an exercise. Combine the two for a mini workout by staring intensely at the person sitting opposite whilst really breathing heavily.

And remember fitness is not a destination it’s a way of life

I'm sure different methods work for different people. You way really worked for me when I was training hard a few years ago. However my mother has recently lost 2.5 stone by just walking loads and eating better.

Whatever you do, out twice as much effort in the kitchen as you do in the gym/workout (something I fail at miserably).
  • shine166 said:
    Stopped eating sweet, crisps and drinking coke 2 weeks ago and have lost a stone already, literally without changing anything else. About to sign up to a kickboxing class to get the next lot moved and to hopefully work on depression/anxiety issues without keeping on taking the meds that were turning me into a bit of a zombie !

Did the same re sweets etc, also white bread,pasta,rice etc. Back in the gym, started back jogging, ive lost 2 stone in 8 weeks 👊
  • 2 years into training hard now, Good heavy weight routines are the way forward 3/4 times a week with one very high intensity cardio or circuit training 2 days rest also important as well as quality sleep.. Stay away from sugar at all costs and avoid Bread and heavy carbs (if possible) Works for me at 45 I’m in the shape of my life.
    also training with a friend or PT is very motivational and keeps you committed and on point
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Stopped eating sweet, crisps and drinking coke 2 weeks ago and have lost a stone already, literally without changing anything else. About to sign up to a kickboxing class to get the next lot moved and to hopefully work on depression/anxiety issues without keeping on taking the meds that were turning me into a bit of a zombie !

Did the same re sweets etc, also white bread,pasta,rice etc. Back in the gym, started back jogging, ive lost 2 stone in 8 weeks 👊
    Smashing it 👌, yeah any rice or pasta is now brown too... plus limited my coffee to 1 a day has cut out more sugar too. 
    I cut out all that crap quite a while ago, but still drink 4/5 cups of coffee a day, I just have it black without sugar, coffee really helps with intermittent fasting, as it's a hunger suppressant.

For anyone looking to get serious in the gym and lose body fat and add muscle, two amazing YouTube channels are Athlean-X and Gravity Transformation, they've both literally changed my life!
  • It doesn’t matter what’s a myth. It doesn’t matter what someone says is the key. 

The only thing that matters is what works for you. Is that cycling? Is that purely diet based? Is that running or HIIT? Depends on you. 

What you choose to do may see short term and instant results, or maybe to be realistic it will take longer to shift the weight. Whatever. 

To me, the most important thing is to look at all the advice, watch videos and learn bits and bobs - and figure out what will help you. The biggest issue isn’t the science of how body fat works, it’s what you'll stick to. 

• JiMMy 85 said:
    It doesn’t matter what’s a myth. It doesn’t matter what someone says is the key. 

The only thing that matters is what works for you. Is that cycling? Is that purely diet based? Is that running or HIIT? Depends on you. 

What you choose to do may see short term and instant results, or maybe to be realistic it will take longer to shift the weight. Whatever. 

To me, the most important thing is to look at all the advice, watch videos and learn bits and bobs - and figure out what will help you. The biggest issue isn’t the science of how body fat works, it’s what you'll stick to. 

Agree with this.  Pick something and pick to it.  Dependent upon your body size, metabolism, genes, background and upbringing, diet will play a role.  It really does depend on who you are and your individual circumstances.  As an example, richyB said he will avoid bread and I know that it’s a big issue for a lot of people.  Luckily, I’ve never had a problem with it.  I have 8 slices a day and it’s just not an issue.  Crazy how different people are impacted by certain things 
  • 8 slices ?????
  • Dazzler, if Sally is not fit and increases her heart rate to 85%, she will be blowing out of her arse after a couple of minutes.
  • Dazzler, if Sally is not fit and increases her heart rate to 85%, she will be blowing out of her arse after a couple of minutes.
    Send me her picture mate 
  • shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Smashing it 👌, yeah any rice or pasta is now brown too... plus limited my coffee to 1 a day has cut out more sugar too. 
    I cut out all that crap quite a while ago, but still drink 4/5 cups of coffee a day, I just have it black without sugar, coffee really helps with intermittent fasting, as it's a hunger suppressant.

For anyone looking to get serious in the gym and lose body fat and add muscle, two amazing YouTube channels are Athlean-X and Gravity Transformation, they've both literally changed my life!
    Too much coffee only adds to my anxiety (caffeine high is that same kinda feeling, increased heart etc) and I need it white with sugar so not great really for me personally. 
  • 8 slices ?????
    I know mate.  2 sandwiches in the morning for breakfast, 2 sandwiches for lunch.  
  • shine166 said:

Did the same last year after I finished my final year of uni. Lost 2 stone in a couple months. Stopping snacking is the key to losing weight!