Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Groundhopping Lifers

2»

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Nice one, Oggy – you have certainly paid your dues, and more.

Yes, Maidstone (London Road) was 13 January 1979, FA Cup third round replay, after 1-1 draw at The Valley and the infamous Hales and Flanagan punch-up and sendings-off.

More than 10,500 were packed into the shabby non-league ground on a Wednesday night. Atmosphere was crackling, febrile, after the sensation that had occurred the previous Saturday. Killer and Flash were suspended, of course. I recall one of our lads shinning up to the stand roof, methodically ripping off sheets of corrugated iron and hurling them into the back gardens beyond.

When we reminisced about that game on here before, another Lifer said he saw a Charlton lad before the game walk up to an innocent pedestrian, nick his hat, and throw it into the Medway!

D'you remember that near the end, the floodlights failed? Game appeared to be abandoned; we all trooped out to the street – then then lights came on again and we all trooped back in! We won – just – 2-1, with goals from David Campbell and the estimable Martin Robinson, a very skilful and effective player, rather forgotten now.

So, through to the fourth round – and we lost 1-0 to Bristol Rovers at Eastville, where three months earlier I had watched us draw 5-5 in the league.

Mad and glorious days!
  • Yes, of course. In fact when you input your grounds you can choose, visited for football reasons, visited for non-football reasons or both.
  • Stig said:

Yes, of course. In fact when you input your grounds you can choose, visited for football reasons, visited for non-football reasons or both.

Shame there isn't a box to tick for grounds that you've actually played at - I could then tick The Valley!

• This app is really worth it for anyone interested, only a couple of quid.