Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scunthorpe v Charlton 2017 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

How bad was Marshall's miss? If we'd gone 1-0 up, I suspect we'd have got more as they chased the game. We desperately need a clinical finisher in January.

Bad. Again. He was clean through, as he was against MK Dons, and let the keeper pounce on him with a poor touch.

Though all around he was very poor today. His crossing was anywhere from erratic to awful. And he's now missed a fair few chances. Nothing terrible that can't be undone with a couple goals, and after such a long layoff it's completely reasonable that it takes a while to get back up to speed. But I think he's gotten off a little easy given the stick Ben Reeves has gotten (not wrongly). Both were out for a long time and both are making their way back to form and full fitness.
    there's a reason Marshall has spent his time knocking around the lower leagues. He's not very good. He's 32 now, nothing's going to change.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

How bad was Marshall's miss? If we'd gone 1-0 up, I suspect we'd have got more as they chased the game. We desperately need a clinical finisher in January.

Bad. Again. He was clean through, as he was against MK Dons, and let the keeper pounce on him with a poor touch.

Though all around he was very poor today. His crossing was anywhere from erratic to awful. And he's now missed a fair few chances. Nothing terrible that can't be undone with a couple goals, and after such a long layoff it's completely reasonable that it takes a while to get back up to speed. But I think he's gotten off a little easy given the stick Ben Reeves has gotten (not wrongly). Both were out for a long time and both are making their way back to form and full fitness.
    there's a reason Marshall has spent his time knocking around the lower leagues. He's not very good. He's 32 now, nothing's going to change.
    tbf you haven't seen him play. He looked the best player tues night & our best attacking threat seeing as Fosu is out.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

E=mc2 said:

Leuth said:

He was clean through and gave himself a tough angle with a bad touch
    Back to us losing those two wonder goals! I'm sure when Holmes scored those type goal for us was the difference when just managing to beat the shitty sides. You and masicat are the real tossers all mouth behind your keyboards. Go sit down put them rose coloured spectacles on and drink some tea. You pair of K Robinsons arsewipes lol :D Zzzzzzzzzzz
    Are you...are you standing up for StigThundercock's absurd outburst in the match thread?

I think you'll find quite a lot of K Robinson arsewipes here in very short order
    Well, there goes ambition! Twice I wrote this now. So bored now - Btw, Do you collect stamps?
  • Options

Wasn't there today & only caught the 2nd half via the match thread so can't really comment on the game, but just to say the decision to let Novak go & not effectively replace him is only matched by Teresa Mays decision to hold a snap election earlier this year as the dumbest thing to do when you don't have to.

We now just have to win on tues night & then again against Portsmouth. Anything less & then we'll soon be out of the play-off places & just in time for RD&KR not to sanction any new players in January.

December is looking like THE month.

Peterborough lost to Rochdale today, hopefully they'll be easier opponents.

• Options

Two well matched sides of which we were slightly the better until two pretty much unsaveable wonder strikes broke the deadlock. There was no realistic way back after that, although it highlighted the lack of options on the bench we all know about, but 3 of our best attackers were injured which doesn't help either.

Sometimes you just have to accept the result.

First defeat in 9 but no doubt the usual members will be on here having been itching over the last few weeks for a chance to start bashing the club and their scapegoat of choice.

It's the Charlton Life Post Defeat Match Thread, probably best check your sense of proportion at the door.

Quite right mate - this is no time to be looking at the bigger picture.
    That's only permitted if we win, right?
  • Options

Disappointed result and barely any other results went are way.

Two injures and the squad looked significantly weaker. Hopefully, reeves will be fit soon.

Shrewsbury, Peterborough and Rotherham lost and Fleetwood and Oxford only drew.
    Apart from that barely any other results went our way.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Two injures and the squad looked significantly weaker. Hopefully, reeves will be fit soon.

I am more worried about Blackburn than Shrewsbury, Portsmouth than the other two teams you have named
  • Options

Next five: Portsmouth (h), Bristol Rovers (a), Blackburn (h), Southend (a), Wigan (a). That's tough; Blackburn an Wigan above us, Pompey on the rise (one behind us) and Bristol Rovers and Southend are both away.

You forgot Posh on Tuesday night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

Disagree with that - i think he will be a major player for us this year. Looks a real threat. Regularly beat his man - on the outside - and got good crosses in tuesday night - didnt see him today and know he is carrying a knock and ideally wouldn't have played today.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Next five: Portsmouth (h), Bristol Rovers (a), Blackburn (h), Southend (a), Wigan (a). That's tough; Blackburn an Wigan above us, Pompey on the rise (one behind us) and Bristol Rovers and Southend are both away.

You forgot Posh on Tuesday night
    it's all wrong we don't have bristol rovers away either
  • Options

Scunny have only conceded 6 goals in 10 home games and have now won 6 on the trot.
    We lost to 2 wonder strikes, our first league defeat since mid September.
    The fact that we have one decent forward at the club, is very unlikely to be Robinson's fault, although some of our fans appear to think that it was his choice. Unbelieveable Jeff.

What doesnt help is the fact that Robinson only plays one up top... Not saying its his fault for that case yet reckon that Roland has been told of this

Because of that it reminds me of the time when Roland said that he doesnt like to sign players who dont play and are constantly knocking on the door wanting to know why and reckon this is one of the reasons why he didnt allow Robinson to go and sign another Striker - Unfortunately the Belgian fuck-wit still hasn't learnt from his mistakes and doesnt understand that suspensions and injuries will happen meaning that we need someone to be knocking on the door
    So we agree that the most likely reason we have one decent forward, is down to the owner and not Robinson.
  • Options

After a decent unbeaten run an away defeat to the division's most in form side is not the end of the world.

I am not that disappointed about the result, more the lack of depth to our squad when trying to chase a game.

I would much prefer Aribo to start on Tuesday and play 3 in midfield rather than Da Silva play left wing and Holmes in the middle.
  • Options

Wasn't there today & only caught the 2nd half via the match thread so can't really comment on the game, but just to say the decision to let Novak go & not effectively replace him is only matched by Teresa Mays decision to hold a snap election earlier this year as the dumbest thing to do when you don't have to.

We now just have to win on tues night & then again against Portsmouth. Anything less & then we'll soon be out of the play-off places & just in time for RD&KR not to sanction any new players in January.

December is looking like THE month.

Novak walked out on deadline day refusing to play for us, according to Robinson.
  • Options

I am more worried about Blackburn than Shrewsbury, Portsmouth than the other two teams you have named
    I thought Wigan & Blackburn would win automatic promotion before the season started (like many no doubt) and I haven't changed my mind.
  • Options

After a decent unbeaten run an away defeat to the division's most in form side is not the end of the world.

It is for some.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

tbf you haven't seen him play. He looked the best player tues night & our best attacking threat seeing as Fosu is out.
    but he's missed two one on one's in those games so I've read and I don't have to be there to know that if he regularly tucked such chances away he'd have been playing at a higher level than Bradford and Barnet.
  • Options

Scunny have only conceded 6 goals in 10 home games and have now won 6 on the trot.
    The fact that we have one decent forward at the club, is very unlikely to be Robinson's fault, although some of our fans appear to think that it was his choice. Unbelieveable Jeff.

What doesnt help is the fact that Robinson only plays one up top... Not saying its his fault for that case yet reckon that Roland has been told of this

Because of that it reminds me of the time when Roland said that he doesnt like to sign players who dont play and are constantly knocking on the door wanting to know why and reckon this is one of the reasons why he didnt allow Robinson to go and sign another Striker - Unfortunately the Belgian fuck-wit still hasn't learnt from his mistakes and doesnt understand that suspensions and injuries will happen meaning that we need someone to be knocking on the door
    So we agree that the most likely reason we have one decent forward, is down to the owner and not Robinson.
    I still think Robinson has to take some of the blame for seemingly not being open to options from abroad. Again, we could all list on one hand the number of strikers who might even possibly slightly maybe be available who would be good enough for us. The window ended with us hoping Matty Taylor fell down the pecking order at Bristol or on the completely unrealistic hope that Wigan would sell Will Grigg.

Robinson did a lot of good business this summer, and he deserves a lot of credit for that. And he's stated that overseas scouting is down to the "Network," so maybe that's where the blame should lie in the end anyway. But we can't keep hoping to pick up players who will come to us and who are good enough for our ambitions for reasonable prices if we continue to shop exclusively in this country. We must cast a further net. What's going to change in January, we're going to put forward a 5mil bid for Will Grigg? That would be silly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

SDAddick said:

Disagree with that - i think he will be a major player for us this year. Looks a real threat. Regularly beat his man - on the outside - and got good crosses in tuesday night - didnt see him today and know he is carrying a knock and ideally wouldn't have played today.
    any idea when Best is signing?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

SDAddick said:

He’s 30. Probably one of the best players in this league last season and is just coming back from a bad injury. Given time he will be an asset to us.

Unless he is charltionised of course!
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

SDAddick said:

Probably today.

.....not sure which today that is though......
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    We might make the playoffs but without someone up top who can put away the chances there is no way we will get promoted.

Today sounded like a pretty even game but we were undone by two quality strikes.
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

SDAddick said:

nope - signing him obviously hasn't gone as smoothly as expected.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I still think Robinson has to take some of the blame for seemingly not being open to options from abroad. Again, we could all list on one hand the number of strikers who might even possibly slightly maybe be available who would be good enough for us. The window ended with us hoping Matty Taylor fell down the pecking order at Bristol or on the completely unrealistic hope that Wigan would sell Will Grigg.

Robinson did a lot of good business this summer, and he deserves a lot of credit for that. And he's stated that overseas scouting is down to the "Network," so maybe that's where the blame should lie in the end anyway. But we can't keep hoping to pick up players who will come to us and who are good enough for our ambitions for reasonable prices if we continue to shop exclusively in this country. We must cast a further net. What's going to change in January, we're going to put forward a 5mil bid for Will Grigg? That would be silly.
    It seemed a large amount of the transfer window was spent overpersuing grigg and Reeves...
    obviously reeves was signed, but to rely on signing Grigg and spending so much time hoping a deal would be done meant focus was taken away from signing a striker- very reminiscent of the summer Phil Parkinson spent waiting and waiting to sign Paul Benson who only scored 10 goals for Charlton (ironically a season that draws parallels with this so far , not just being a point different after 18games)
  • Options
    Watched on iFollowed. Wasn't that impressed with us going forward, far too often our player tried to run through a group of Scunthorpe players and lost the ball. We missed the chances we created, unlucky with Magennis hitting the post and another good chance missed by Marshall. We know we need good alternatives up front, while Marshall is probably still getting match fit.

Another day Magennis' chance goes on or Holmes does for us what Morris did for them.

KAG and RHF aren't good enough as options from the bench. Unfortunate to have Clarke, Fosu and Reeves all out but those two are supposed to be strikers. They don't offer the threat we need. The answer for this season isn't in our academy.

Still think we look like a play-off team but that could change for better or worse depending how the January window goes.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Just seen the goals - the 2nd was an absolute belter. Amos hasn’t covered himself in glory on the first, only 2 in the wall and way too far over to his left hand side - but a cracking strike nonetheless.