Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who has been to an Ashes game?

2»

Comments

• edited November 2017
    One of my major gripes is that I (used to) go to days at The Oval and Lords v the likes of Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe, whereas they cant even make me a priority for the Ashes in the ballot now. When I saw huge swathes of yellow in the Compton/Edrich stands for the Ashes where I would normally go, then I told them to stuff it and refuse to go to any now.The way I figure it is their loss.
  • edited November 2017
    Went by myself to day 3 of the Boxing Day test at the MCG in 2010. Realised that I had a ticket for a 'dry area' so found myself standing next to the bar all day, watching and drinking, drinking, drinking. Was legless by the end of the day.
  • Went to the ashes in Aus after we failed to qualify for the world cup in 94. I`ve got the original 1st barmy army t shirt in my mums loft.

The test we won in Adelaide was up there with the best and funniest few days of my life. Drinking on the hill all day with some of the best banter imaginable with the convicts, it even went off on the bank holiday and they changed the beer from HEAVY to LIGHT at one stage while thing calmed down.

There were four of us and we were spotted a few times with our Charlton union jack on SKY.

If you have never been it is a fantastic experience and i pray i get to do it again.

• been to every Oval ashes test from 72
  • Been lucky enough to go to a few over the years.

Oval 1985 was the first and most memorable - Robinson went early then Gooch and Gower (my childhood hero) batted all day, really putting them to the sword.

Had prime seats in the top tier of the Pavillion right behind the bowler's arm
  • First one for me wasn't Ashes....1980 Centenary Test at Lords. Got something like 70 autographs over 3 days.

First Ashes was at Trent Bridge in 1985. I saw Arnold Sidebottom begin his Test "career" with 4 wides.

Last one was Lords 1993 when Michael Slater slaughtered England. I knew things were bad when Phil Tufnell was fielding cover-point.....

In between, saw bits of the Headingley and Lords games in 1989. England were awful and Australia were superb.

Since then I haven't been interested in going because of the ticket prices. Much prefer county cricket.

Saw England thrash Australia in 1979 World Cup at Lords and at the one-dryer in 1989 when the bird ran on naked. Nice bum and bush to be fair.
  • Sooner catch me foreskin in me fly again.......

You want to have a word with your Rabbi.
  • edited November 2017
    Been to a few at Lords, the Oval, Trent Bridge and Edgebaston and Headingly over the years.

First was the second test at Lords in 1981. Also went to two days of the third test at Headingley where Botham scored 149 n/o after following on and Willis got 8/43.

Edit: When they show the TV highlights of Bothams innings at Headingley, they always show a boundary where some good looking young South Londoner, gathers the ball at the ropes and throws it with great speed and accuracy at an oncoming Terry Alderman who was not best pleased.
  • Sponsored links:

• Egbaston last time it was over here (2015), match only lasted 2.5/3 days, one of the best sporting occasions I have ever been to, Mitchell Johnson got huge pelters (not nasty ones) from the crowd but took off his "Baggy Green" & bowed in acknowlegemnt of iminent defeat to the crowd, ground on the 2nd day as noisy as any noisy football match, absolutly smashed them, Birmingham was buzzing Thursday night.
  • Feeling both envious and a bit ashamed to say I haven’t.....I really must put that to rights before too long!
  • Was at the Oval on the day we won. Can't remember the year but was around 2004 I think.
  • Done a few here and off to Australia in a couple of weeks to do some over there.
  • Twice. Both at the oval, firstly in 2001 and then the final day of the last Ashes. Highly recommend it.
  • Think the most enjoyable day I’ve had against the convicts was the ODI at Lords just before the Ashes in 2005. We managed to get tickets for the 1st row of the top tier of the Grandstand, debenture seats that had been returned. Cracking game, ended up a rare draw. Think McGrath had us 50-5ish then Geraint Jones and Paul Collingwood I think hauled us back from the brink of defeat.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Think the most enjoyable day I’ve had against the convicts was the ODI at Lords just before the Ashes in 2005. We managed to get tickets for the 1st row of the top tier of the Grandstand, debenture seats that had been returned. Cracking game, ended up a rare draw. Think McGrath had us 50-5ish then Geraint Jones and Paul Collingwood I think hauled us back from the brink of defeat.

I went to that too - it was a tie, not a draw!
  • I have been to several. I have been to a Test Match every year since my Dad took me to the Oval in 1976 to see Tony Greig's England play the mighty West Indies, Michael Holding, Viv Richards and all. Although, I have to admit, a lot of them have been lost in the blur of both time and booze. I tend to imbibe quite heavily at Test matches. For anyone who hasn't been to one, imagine that unlike football, you're allowed to drink while watching the game. And it's a seven-hour game. Usually with several Bloody Marys before the start and several beers afterwards.

Because of this, I have found myself getting into a few scrapes at Ashes matches. Those that I can remember include:

2005 Oval - sneaking past security and finding myself in the England changing rooms after the match, only to be spotted by Paul Collingwood and Ashley Giles who suggested we shouldn't have been there. (Collingwood wasn't happy. But Giles couldn't keep a straight face when we apologised to "his majesty").

2009 Oval - got in the bus after the game. Didn't realise it was the Australian team bus until the players started clambering in. Then had to wait until they were all in before we could get off (only one door).

1981 Oval - final day. Jumped the fence during the last over (you could do that in those days). Decided to run on the pitch as Dennis Lillee started his run up to bowl his final ball. Didn't quite time it properly, because I reached Rod Marsh as the ball passed the batsman and landed in his gloves. (He is quite good at swearing, you know).

If you have never been to a Test Match, do so. I thoroughly recommend it. Only, make sure you take some binoculars. Specifically these ones, which I bought for the Edgbaston day-night Test this Summer. Very, very useful.

• I was lucky enough to go to Lord's twice as a very good mate of mine worked there for years as a chef and he managed to get me tickets.

Incidentally he was also a chef at Stamford bridge in the Ken Bates era until he got sacked for punching a palace fan (fellow chef ( and locking him in a freezer.
    Aubrey is his name a life long Charlton fan known by quite a few on here.
  • Been to loads over here since emigrating in 1997.

Funniest was the SCG New Year Test in 1999, I took the missus down there for a weekend and we watched Day 1 of the Test.

Australia were bowled out for 320 odd on the day, England had Aussies 50-3 with new ball, Mark Waugh hit a gorgeous 120, Steve Waugh got clean bowled by Peter Such for 96 and then in the last over of the day DARREN GOUGH TOOK A FUCKING HAT-TRICK including two clean bowled.

The roar when Goughie took the hat-trick was mind blowing, never heard anything like it before or since.

As we're leaving the ground I said to my missus, "What did you make of that? Enjoy it?"

"Not really," she said, "It was a bit boring wasn't it?"

Priceless.

I was at that test with the Gough hat-trick. I didn't go to all five days as I wanted to do some sightseeing as I had travelled 11,000 miles. That was one of the days I did not go.

We were at the previous test in Melbourne. I did the same again and only went to a couple of days. On this occasion we went on this day, it was day four. Anyway, on the morning of the game I had booked to go on a penguin parade(don't ask!) my friend had not booked, was keen to go but at break after two sessions the aussies were three down and my mate was worried about going as he thought that he might miss a victory. I said to him there was no way we'd knock the aussies last seven wickets in a session so he decided to go.

We're then watching the penguins wandering around the sand dunes then we find out we won! My mate was not a happy chappie.
  • Sponsored links:

Funniest was the SCG New Year Test in 1999, I took the missus down there for a weekend and we watched Day 1 of the Test.

Australia were bowled out for 320 odd on the day, England had Aussies 50-3 with new ball, Mark Waugh hit a gorgeous 120, Steve Waugh got clean bowled by Peter Such for 96 and then in the last over of the day DARREN GOUGH TOOK A FUCKING HAT-TRICK including two clean bowled.

The roar when Goughie took the hat-trick was mind blowing, never heard anything like it before or since.

As we're leaving the ground I said to my missus, "What did you make of that? Enjoy it?"

Priceless.

I was at that test with the Gough hat-trick. I didn't go to all five days as I wanted to do some sightseeing as I had travelled 11,000 miles. That was one of the days I did not go.

We were at the previous test in Melbourne. I did the same again and only went to a couple of days. On this occasion we went on this day, it was day four. Anyway, on the morning of the game I had booked to go on a penguin parade(don't ask!) my friend had not booked, was keen to go but at break after two sessions the aussies were three down and my mate was worried about going as he thought that he might miss a victory. I said to him there was no way we'd knock the aussies last seven wickets in a session so he decided to go.

We're then watching the penguins wandering around the sand dunes then we find out we won! My mate was not a happy chappie.
    I was at those two tests. The party at the Stamford Plaza with the team afterwards was Epic!
  • edited November 2017
    Day 4 at Durham when we retained them back in 2013 and Broad had a field day. My one and only live cricket match - not quite sure how to beat that! Would love to go to some of the next series in Aus...
  • edited November 2017

Been to loads over here since emigrating in 1997.

Priceless.

Seems i make it at least 5 Addicks at the Sydney test.. did anyone of you wear a Charlton shirt, i do vagauley remember seeing someone in one..

not being into cricket at the time I was in Sydney for that test and decided not to spend the money on a ticket. All my mates bought tickets for the whole test. whilst i missed the best day, i did realise what I had missed and one of my friends had worn a cap to protect his face from the sun then turned it backwards and stared at the sun all day. The next day he awoke to find sub burn blisters on his face and I had his ticket for the rest of the test!! (he is Palace which may explain it!)

Great intro to cricket although my memories are less of the cricket and more of the general fun had, helped by the fact that the Brits very quickly found a way to get 4 pints for the price of 1 each time they went to the bar from the dozy barman.

"Shane Warne is an Aussie, he wears a baggy cap and when he saw the bookies cash he said "I'm having that". He shared it out with Waugh and they went and had some beers and when the SCG found out they covered up for years" was the song of choice as i recall.

Also hazy memories of heading to the bar after the last day with everyone up on the bar and tables dancing, epic days.

Been lucky enough to go Lords and The Oval a couple of times since, mainly on work jollys.

Priceless.

Seems i make it at least 5 Addicks at the Sydney test.. did anyone of you wear a Charlton shirt, i do vagauley remember seeing someone in one..

not being into cricket at the time I was in Sydney for that test and decided not to spend the money on a ticket. All my mates bought tickets for the whole test. whilst i missed the best day, i did realise what I had missed and one of my friends had worn a cap to protect his face from the sun then turned it backwards and stared at the sun all day. The next day he awoke to find sub burn blisters on his face and I had his ticket for the rest of the test!! (he is Palace which may explain it!)

Great intro to cricket although my memories are less of the cricket and more of the general fun had, helped by the fact that the Brits very quickly found a way to get 4 pints for the price of 1 each time they went to the bar from the dozy barman.

"Shane Warne is an Aussie, he wears a baggy cap and when he saw the bookies cash he said "I'm having that". He shared it out with Waugh and they went and had some beers and when the SCG found out they covered up for years" was the song of choice as i recall.

Also hazy memories of heading to the bar after the last day with everyone up on the bar and tables dancing, epic days.

Been lucky enough to go Lords and The Oval a couple of times since, mainly on work jollys.
    You got the song the wrong way round... Mark Waugh shared it out with Warney....and it was ACB not SCG!

I would have worn a Charlton shirt on at least one day...

Happy days!
  • Been to two at Lords 1975 and 1985 I think.
    75 was a bank holiday Monday when the streaker ran on the pitch. Vague memories of John Edrich scoring 170 odd and a young Graham Gooch bowling in the nets. You had to get there early and queue round the ground to get in in those days.
    Don't remember much about 85 as by then drink was being taken. Might have been the time I saw Kevin Dickenson (our left back at the time) in the crowd although it could have been the next year against the Windies.
    Had tickets for a Sunday at the Oval in the late 90's but the game must have finished in three days.
  • Been to a number if test matches but never an ashes test. Seen England Aus in a one dayer but that doesn't count.

The dream is a full tour down under. And to watch England play in every test playing nation.

this this this this this
    Get yourself over to NZ in Spring. Need someone to go with.
  • I've been on five tours down under (90/91, 92, 94/95, 98/99, 2002/03), and seen 11 tests in Australia (won just 2), plus a World Cup tournament all the way to the final, but not anymore!
  • Been to 3 - all at Lords - never seen us win - like many others recollections of play after lunch are hazy - love cricket and going to a test match is a great way to spent a day

Much prefer the Oval (not because of my losing streak at Lords) - Oval has much better atmosphere and is nowhere near as stuck up in terms of attendees - I feel like an outsider at Lords, especially as I dress as a normal person and not in those ridiculous eggs and bacon blazers, ties, hats etc etc !!!
  • Have lived in Sydney, Melbourne and now Perth and have been to matches in each ground over the years. Have been a WACA member for about 6 years too
    Although I grew up in Charlton I have never experienced one in the UK, used to go to Kent matches but never internationals