Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One-off commemorative strip for Back to The Valley match

Comments

• Options
    £75 does seem a tad steep. I'm assuming there'll be more than a few left over and be repackaged as Royal Wedding kits in the Spring.
  • Options
    I think it’s nicer than the ‘proper’ home shirt.

£75 is ridiculous though
  • Options

As a reminder how long do we get Hummel for?

Probably one of the few things that our owners have done well at doing!! - They've designed two amazing home kits

I think it's 4 or 5 years
  • Options
    WSS said:

They would have been better off (literally and from a PR sense) making 2,500 and charging £25.

But you wouldn't get a nice shiny box with misspelt words on if they did that!
  • Options
    I thought someone was making a joke when they said £75, should have known better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks alright but £75 ffs! You could just wait until the sponsor peels off your current home shirt (approx. 20 washes), then you have a non branded back at the valley shirt anyway. What's the point of this if only 500 people can buy it? Strange.
  • Options
    It's a limited edition, one off shirt in a presentation box so I would expect is to cost more than the £45 for the normal home shirt.

And it is a good shirt.

£60 would seem, to this non-shirt buying person, a reasonable price point.

£75 a step too far even if the short run means it was bound to cost a bit more to manufacture.

But a bit like the £95 dinner price that people thought meant the tickets wouldn't sell they will sell because there are 500 people who either collect shirts, want the newest shirt or just aren't price sensitive.
  • Options
    @AddickUpNorth said he'd buy the first 50 and give them away to anyone who can look after his cats when he goes on all his holidays
  • Options

It's a limited edition, one off shirt in a presentation box so I would expect is to cost more than the £45 for the normal home shirt.

And it is a good shirt.

£75 a step too far even if the short run means it was bound to cost a bit more to manufacture.

But a bit like the £95 dinner price that people thought meant the tickets wouldn't sell they will sell because there are 500 people who either collect shirts, want the newest shirt or just aren't price sensitive.

Of course it will sell out. It would if they charged £150 a pop. Just think it would be better to let all supporters have the opportunity to get their hands on one, if they want.

By all means have special boxes, certificates, unique numbers for the collectors, but a couple of thousand at a reasonable price wouldn't have hurt surely? They cost about a fiver to make each (over estimate?) tbf!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Why does anyone think it will sell out? We don't sell more than a couple of thousand home replica shirts every year, do we?

Absolute bonkers pricing but not surprised in the slightest
  • Options
    Personally I wont be buying one, but I dont think £75 is that excessive for a limited edition shirt.
  • Options
    Priced for the West London target market that Katrien was keen to break into
  • Options

Priced for the West London target market that Katrien was keen to break into

But surely £75 is even too much for your black cabbie ... even with the meter still running!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And it is a good shirt.

£45 is way too expensive in the first place, particularly for a third tier club, so I wouldn't use that as a yard stick. And sure, they will sell 500, cos that's a tiny amount. I don't know the economics well enough to comment, but I would much rather they made more and sold them for less.

This is a shirt that's a replica of a shirt that many of us already own, which is odd. And it's supposed to be for the fans - the very people who paid a LOT of their own money, and put in time, effort and a fucking political coup to get the club into a position to return to the ground in the first place!

To buy the three shirts the club have released this year, which I would love to own in my collection, would cost me £160. That's insane, let alone for the shirts of a club that has continually disappointed, nay, broken my heart over the last 5-10 years.

Replica shirts are a source of promotion. It's akin to wearing a Waitrose bag on my head. Yet our 'weird' relationships with football clubs make us proud to advertise them. I feel like a fool for paying through the nose for the right to show people I support the brand, and I feel like Katriene and co. would be laughing at me for spending £75 on a shirt to celebrate the work my fellow fans were responsible for.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    At first I thought it was Louis Walsh in the top photo! Before I realised it was his brother, Colin.

Quote from the article:
    Museum Trustee Ben Hayes was involved in the fan consultation process. He said: “When Hummel visited the museum we were able to give them their first site of an original back to the Valley shirt. They immediately asked to borrow it and we were delighted to agree. Having now seen the shirt they have produced it’s clear that they have more than fulfilled their brief of creating a fresh, modern shirt that also reflects the history of that day.”
    Expected better of you, Henners ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    YTS1978 said:

And it is a good shirt.

Of course it will sell out. It would if they charged £150 a pop. Just think it would be better to let all supporters have the opportunity to get their hands on one, if they want.

By all means have special boxes, certificates, unique numbers for the collectors, but a couple of thousand at a reasonable price wouldn't have hurt surely? They cost about a fiver to make each (over estimate?) tbf!
    I agree that 500 boxes and a 1000 or 2000 ordinary shirts would have been better as the the bigger run should have lowered the unit cost.

I do disagree with the "it costs £5" Maybe that is the cost of the shirt at the factory door in China (I assume they are made in China) but shipping costs, point of sale costs, 20% VAT all eat into the £75

Seen on facebook someone claiming £75 x 500 = the club making £37,500 profit but even a trainee economist like @fiish or @cantersaddick would know that was wrong.

And it will be Hummel and Elite making the money with the club getting a slice either as a percentage or as a one-off payment.
  • Options
    Agree with a couple of the above posts - this shouldn't be an exclusive shirt, at a stupid price, it should have been discounted and available to everyone. With a free shirt to anyone who still has their ticket stub
  • Options

At first I thought it was Louis Walsh in the top photo! Before I realised it was his brother, Colin.

Quote from the article:
    Museum Trustee Ben Hayes was involved in the fan consultation process. He said: “When Hummel visited the museum we were able to give them their first site of an original back to the Valley shirt. They immediately asked to borrow it and we were delighted to agree. Having now seen the shirt they have produced it’s clear that they have more than fulfilled their brief of creating a fresh, modern shirt that also reflects the history of that day.”
    Expected better of you, Henners ;)

@Rufus_Ambition, like any writer I blame the sub-editors.

(I checked my original copy though and it was my bad my mistake.
  • Options
    real fans have still got one in the loft somewhere, no idea where mine is...
  • Options

And it is a good shirt.

But using that logic Henry why don't they throw in a nice signed photo/print of Colin Walsh scoring and make it £150?

If they wanted to make something for the fans they would have produced many more than 500. If it was for those that want to have a memento of the game then they should have made enough for everyone. Making 500 and making it unreasonably expensive makes it look like it's nothing more than a money making exercise - fleecing fans!

Releasing it for sale at 5pm, and announcing it, makes it look like the club suspect that they will sell out (of certain sizes if not completely). This, in my view, undermines the great PR of Hummel making t-shirts available in the summer for £15 for kids that looked a little like a proper shirt. Those t-shirts, which I don't expect to have sold in the many thousands, gave the impression that the club and Hummel were looking out for the fans (or the parents) that couldn't afford proper replicas.

This 'stunt' undoes a lot of that good view in my view - and even if they all sell it only raises £37,500 (before manufacturing and shipping costs and VAT) - a fraction of what the club have, reportedly, spent on PR Agencies. This must, just must, be seen as an own goal. If they'd made 1,000 and sold them for £50 a pop that would almost certainly have made more money but I agree with WSS, they could have made thousands and sold them for £25 - what a great way to show the fans that the club want them to feel at the centre of the celebrations.

This isn't a dig at you Henry but I think the club got this wrong and it would have been so easy to get it right.
    No offence taken. I think it is too much and could have been done a lot better but I can see why a short run shirt would be more expensive.
  • Options
    Real fans had a long sleeved version of the 1992 shirt and donated it to the museum
  • Options

Why does anyone think it will sell out? We don't sell more than a couple of thousand home replica shirts every year, do we?

Absolute bonkers pricing but not surprised in the slightest

Reminds me of a bad episode of The Apprentice.