Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name the new pitches at the Training Ground after war heroes

124»

Comments

• Options
    BDL said:

One should be named after Pierre Bolangi to make sure that we don't forget him and what happened to him

good shout
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Pitch Perfect
    Pitch Fork
    Pitch Black
    Pitch Tar
  • Options
    1.Thomas
    2.Gordon
    3.Henry
    4. Percy

Choo choo
  • Options
    Agree Pierre Bolangi should be remembered... Did he have a memorial garden at the training ground?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Pretty sure Rufus bowyer and Newton aren't the greatest ever role models! Should we throw in Jamie Stuart as well?

Could make some extra money and ask McDonalds to sponsor the Bowyer pitch maybe?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Agree Pierre Bolangi should be remembered... Did he have a memorial garden at the training ground?

@Fanny Fanackapan used to tend to it, not sure what has happened to it since.
  • Options
    BDL said:

McBobbin said:

I believe KM ordered it be dug up as part of the training ground works. She gave fanny a matter of days to recover plants. I don't know if there is any plans to create a new one on a new part of the site. I hope so. But then I don't know if there is anyone willing to out in the years of hard work that fanny & co did.
  • Options

BDL said:

McBobbin said:

I believe KM ordered it be dug up as part of the training ground works. She gave fanny a matter of days to recover plants. I don't know if there is any plans to create a new one on a new part of the site. I hope so. But then I don't know if there is anyone willing to out in the years of hard work that fanny & co did.
    Wow
  • Options
    Mallard, Flying Scotsman, Orient Express, Eurostar.

Proper train pitches. Proper Charlton.
  • Options

BDL said:

McBobbin said:

I'd never heard that before. That sounds awful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

I've given this some more considered thought. Here is who I really think the pitches should be named after.

Jim McKenzie: One of Henry's war heroes. Just fifteen years old when the club was founded, he was the first club secretary. It would have been McKenzie that organised the fledgling club's first fixtures and the following year sorted out our entry to the Lewisham League that marked the start of a breathtaking series of championships. Naming a pitch after Jim McKenzie should be a reminder that our club truly was founded for the people by the people.

Arthur Bryan: Arthur Byan was first and foremost a supporter of the club, though he was at one stage vice president. The fish and chip suppers that he supplied and his antics waving fish laden poles gave the club it's first and most enduring nickname. Naming one of the pitches after Arthur Bryan should act as a reminder to all of the centrality of supporters in shaping our club's heritage.

Albert Mills: "Mosky" Mills made just two league appearances for Charlton. This might not sound that impressive until you consider that he also played in the club's first ever match some sixteen years earlier. It is not known just how many matches he played for The Addicks but the fact that in his fifteenth season he played 20 matches in The Southern League suggests that the number would probably have been well into the hundreds. Naming a pitch after Albert Mills should act as a reminder that our club's greatness was built on consistency and loyalty.

Alfred Kingsley: "Scotty" Kingsley quite possibly saved the club twice. The first time, immediately after World War I, when it was Kingsley's suggestion that the club start up again. Secondly, when he agreed against his own personal wishes, to be transferred to Fulham so that the transfer fee could be used to pay a £1,000 building bill. If that wasn't enough, it is also said that Kingsley was one of a small group who decided upon The Valley as the club's location. Naming a pitch after Alfred Kingsley should serve as a reminder that we only have a club, thanks to the sacrifices of great people.

Great call. Without them there would possibly be no Charlton Athletic now, and it keeps our past history alive. They were prominent members of those grand originals who started our club. Compliments to Stig in digging up that information.
  • Options
    BDL said:

One should be named after Pierre Bolangi to make sure that we don't forget him and what happened to him

Or the Pierre Bolangi pitches 1, 2, 3, 4. As I doubt many people would actually use the names for pitches.
  • Options
    sm said:

I suspect our owners would pick war heroes from the wrong side.

I think most Belgians would find that quite offensive given what happened to them in both World Wars.
  • Options

BDL said:

Or the Pierre Bolangi pitches 1, 2, 3, 4. As I doubt many people would actually use the names for pitches.
    spot on
  • Options
    I don't know if I missed it, but did anything ever come of this?
  • Options
    In a weird turn of events they decided to just dig some trenches and leave it at that.
  • Options
    A. A pitch over the river kwai.
    B. A pitch too far.
  • Options

BDL said:

McBobbin said:

Was this true?

• Options
    1905 said:

BDL said:

McBobbin said:

Was this true?

I was with Mrs F when we were told the official reopening had been delayed for a couple of months, I later that day repeated what I was told to a member of staff and the reply was "if it ever happens, with this idiot of an owner"
    That was September 2014 and the lies had already started, as far as I'm aware the memorial garden has never been reinstated, although I can't clarify this as I've never been invited to SL since. Everyone knows I was actually asked to leave by security when attending an upbeats walk under the guise of "no dogs allowed" despite there already being dogs on site. It was eventually sorted out on the day by the Trust...... An over zealous security man? Maybe, but I have my own opinion on that.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Roland has published his list of names for training pitches at Sparras and he has listened to the fanbase!

1.Goebbels
    2.Himmler
    3.Goring
    4.Bormann
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a regular attendee at home under-23 games at Sparrows Lane i can confirm the memorial garden has not been reinstated & no work has taken place anywhere near the area of the garden.
  • Options
    clive said:

As a regular attendee at home under-23 games at Sparrows Lane i can confirm the memorial garden has not been reinstated & no work has taken place anywhere near the area of the garden.

Thanks @clive for confirming that, so no groundwork has taken place on or near to where the gardens were originally placed?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

clive said:

Thanks @clive for confirming that, so no groundwork has taken place on or near to where the gardens were originally placed?
    That's correct,there is little evidence that anything was ever on that area,it is just a shortcut for players,staff & spectators to get to the pitches.
  • Options
    yet another thing to add to the list against this ownership. and a pretty shitty thing at that.
  • Options
    Surely pitch 2 should be Pitch 2%
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

1905 said:

BDL said:

McBobbin said:

Was this true?

I was with Mrs F when we were told the official reopening had been delayed for a couple of months, I later that day repeated what I was told to a member of staff and the reply was "if it ever happens, with this idiot of an owner"
    That was September 2014 and the lies had already started, as far as I'm aware the memorial garden has never been reinstated, although I can't clarify this as I've never been invited to SL since. Everyone knows I was actually asked to leave by security when attending an upbeats walk under the guise of "no dogs allowed" despite there already being dogs on site. It was eventually sorted out on the day by the Trust...... An over zealous security man? Maybe, but I have my own opinion on that.
    Thanks for this - I am speechless!

• Options
    1905 said:

T_C_E said:

1905 said:

BDL said:

McBobbin said:

Was this true?

Thanks for this - I am speechless!

Sadly, I’m not
  • Options
    The memorial garden was a sweet space, lovingly created and tended by solid members of the Charlton supporting community, for free in their own time and at their own expense. It was a lovely little place appreciated by all.

Now, who is the person that was barking out orders and instructions regarding Sparrows Lane development, and was supposed to be on top of things and as a loyal Charlton employee caring about a humble bit of heritage and respect?