Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Amazon Echo

Seeing as Winterval is just around the corner I'm wondering what to get for the missus for Christmas.

Fed up with buying her bits and bobs she doesn't want so I was thinking of going for an Amazon Echo and an Echo dot - just because they are cool, we'd use it and I have literally no idea what else to get her.

Who on here has one and what geekery do you use it for? I'm thinking or ramping up home automation a bit in 2018 and I think the new Echo comes with a hub built in (or am I confused) so any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• I worked with a bloke who actually bought his wife a vacuum cleaner for Christmas and seemed bemused that she didn't talk to him for a week. This sounds like it has similar prospects. If you don't know what she wants for Christmas you haven't been listening for the last twelve months.
  • cafcfan said:

I worked with a bloke who actually bought his wife a vacuum cleaner for Christmas and seemed bemused that she didn't talk to him for a week. This sounds like it has similar prospects. If you don't know what she wants for Christmas you haven't been listening for the last twelve months.

I have been listening - I just bought it when she started hinting. Now I'm left with no more hints. I've got more smellies than Boots, she doesn't really wear jewellry, I daren't buy clothes so it's stuff for the house or nothing.

• cafcfan said:

I worked with a bloke who actually bought his wife a vacuum cleaner for Christmas and seemed bemused that she didn't talk to him for a week. This sounds like it has similar prospects. If you don't know what she wants for Christmas you haven't been listening for the last twelve months.

How come it’s ok for them to get you DIY tools? But unacceptable for you to buy domestic items for them?
  • I worked with a bloke who told me he'd got his missus a set of (cheap) pots and pans for Christmas.

I warned him but would he listen...
  • I was once told: "If it comes with a plug, it's not a present"
  • IdleHans said:

I was once told: "If it comes with a plug, it's not a present"

Send all iPads/iPhones/HD TV’s or Bluetooth speakers you may receive to me.
  • I have the Amaxon Echo and a dot. The Echo is good for music...Any track/album you want if you join Amazon music. And all the radio station accessed from TuneIn. News updates on request. Timer for cooking or whatever. I've automated some lights to turn on on command. And the tv (this needs another hub - Harmony). And answers questions too.
    I think it's fun and I'm sure all the family will find reasons to use it.
    But you might be in deep water buying for the misses Xmas pressie as it will be used by all. Get her an iron as she will get more use out of that. ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

cafcfan said:

I have been listening - I just bought it when she started hinting. Now I'm left with no more hints. I've got more smellies than Boots, she doesn't really wear jewellry, I daren't buy clothes so it's stuff for the house or nothing.

Would you trust yourself getting a decent handbag or purse, say? I just don't want you featuring on the Disappeared Members thread any time soon. (And there's not much space left under @sillav nitram's patio with the substantial remains of his erstwhile neighbour.)
  • cafcfan said:

Swisdom said:

cafcfan said:

Would you trust yourself getting a decent handbag or purse, say? I just don't want you featuring on the Disappeared Members thread any time soon. (And there's not much space left under @sillav nitram's patio with the substantial remains of his erstwhile neighbour.)
    Recently got a new bag so not needing another

In the past few years I’ve tried the following;
    Very nice watch - still in its box
    Tiffany ring - still in its box
    Tiffany pen - in its box
    Ring from The Maldives that she “loved” - you guessed it, in its box
    Hand made leather handbag from a market on New York. - never used

That’s a couple of grand that looks pretty and lives in a chest of drawers. At least get to use the Amazon Exho

Either my taste is shocking or she’s a fussy moo

Wish me luck it’s her 40th next year !

• Swisdom - why don’t you buy your misses a box ;0)