Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Pulis sacked

Comments

• bobmunro said:

...oh and pretty sure Pulis will get the Wales job with Giggs assisting. Or the other way around...

Knowing Pulis as I do he is not the type who is likely to be happy to 'assist'.
    Sorry, I didn't make it clear, I wouldn't suggest it would be on a long term basis but as someone to act as a mentor to Giggs for the first 6 months or so. Or, and much more likely, until another Premier League manager gets binned and Pulis is back in the frame.
  • Owners sell their best players and then blame the manager when form drops.

Have WBA sold anyone decent? I can't think of anyone decent that they've let go, other than Fletcher who chose to go to Stoke

It can be argued that they haven't spent much though, in comparison to some of the other mid table teams
  • All joking aside - Curbs would be a great fit at a club like West Brom. As I've mentioned more than a few times, I grew up in the West Midlands, and I would say the Albion are a very Charlton like club. If I'd ever go so tired of the travel to the Valley and switched to a more local team I'd have gone with West Brom.
  • Owners sell their best players and then blame the manager when form drops.

Have WBA sold anyone decent? I can't think of anyone decent that they've let go, other than Fletcher who chose to go to Stoke

It can be argued that they haven't spent much though, in comparison to some of the other mid table teams
    You are right. Actually, it was the opposite this off-season. Didn't they bring in a few good players?
  • All joking aside - Curbs would be a great fit at a club like West Brom. As I've mentioned more than a few times, I grew up in the West Midlands, and I would say the Albion are a very Charlton like club. If I'd ever go so tired of the travel to the Valley and switched to a more local team I'd have gone with West Brom.

My Grandpa was a West Brom fan, and weirdly took me to my first Charlton game - we beat them 1-0 through a Rob Lee goal.

Always had a soft spot for them.
  • They had big offers for Jonny Evans which they resisted.
  • Apparently the two names the Welsh FA were interested in after Coleman left were Pulis or Giggs, so I could defiantly see Pulis taking over there.

Re Chris Coleman it does seem like he jumped at the first offer, rather than wait a few weeks and been in the frame for a number of Premier League jobs.

So could I. Pullis is very good at setting teams up without a forward.
    Perhaps he should come to us then.
  • In PL this season WBA have

an average of 37% possession - the lowest
    187 passes in opposition half per game - the lowest
    378 long balls this season - the 2nd most
    9 goals this season - only three teams have scored less
    103 shots at goal - only two sides have had fewer attempts

The type of football to bring the fans back in droves!

Pullis did also spend £34m on three players pre season which is a lot more than a number of sides above them in the table.

• edited November 2017

Greenie said:

PaddyP17 said:

The financial implications of relegation from the Premier League - even with parachute payments and such - is MASSIVE. The scramble to avoid the bottom three is getting ever more desperate and so chairmen are very concerned with short-term solutions.

The gap is widening, too, between Championship and the Prem, and indeed between League One and the Championship. Look at Wolves! Look at how much they spent on Ruben Neves!

There are a few really worrying things about this in general - foremost is that I genuinely fear Charlton (even under a competent regime) might never get to the top flight again. Also, the footballing economy is a HUGE bust waiting to happen.

This, a lot.
    I used to think this but I'm now not so sure there will be a correction. We've been waiting for one of the smaller club's that's overspent in the Premier League to go belly up for probably 15-20 years now. Yes, a couple have been in trouble financially like Pompey, Palace, Leeds, etc. but there always seems someone prepared to take over and pump even more money in. I can't remember the last pro-club to actually go out of business and fold, Rushden & Diamonds(?), and I just can't see one of the bigger boys going under at all.

It's a crazy industry no doubt but I can only see the gap between the haves and have nots getting wider.
    Mainly because the EFL don't have the kahunas & let them take the easy way out. Let the clubs go into administration, give them a token points deduction (which may force relegation) and then the clubs get an injection of capital, pay their creditors 10p in the £ and then within a couple of years spend millions getting promoted. AKA Southampton.
  • One thing that WBA should thank Pullis for is getting £12m for Saido Berahino. He is, allegedly, a forward but hasn't scored in his last 36 appearances - since the 26th February 2016!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017
    I think Pardew will get the gig, big Sam would keep them up, it’s what he is famed for
  • edited November 2017

In PL this season WBA have

an average of 37% possession - the lowest
    187 passes in opposition half per game - the lowest
    378 long balls this season - the 2nd most
    9 goals this season - only three teams have scored less
    103 shots at goal - only two sides have had fewer attempts

The type of football to bring the fans back in droves!

Pullis did also spend £34m on three players pre season which is a lot more than a number of sides above them in the table.

Who's No.1? United when Fellaini comes on?
  • Greenie said:

PaddyP17 said:

The financial implications of relegation from the Premier League - even with parachute payments and such - is MASSIVE. The scramble to avoid the bottom three is getting ever more desperate and so chairmen are very concerned with short-term solutions.

The gap is widening, too, between Championship and the Prem, and indeed between League One and the Championship. Look at Wolves! Look at how much they spent on Ruben Neves!

There are a few really worrying things about this in general - foremost is that I genuinely fear Charlton (even under a competent regime) might never get to the top flight again. Also, the footballing economy is a HUGE bust waiting to happen.

This, a lot.
    I used to think this but I'm now not so sure there will be a correction. We've been waiting for one of the smaller club's that's overspent in the Premier League to go belly up for probably 15-20 years now. Yes, a couple have been in trouble financially like Pompey, Palace, Leeds, etc. but there always seems someone prepared to take over and pump even more money in. I can't remember the last pro-club to actually go out of business and fold, Rushden & Diamonds(?), and I just can't see one of the bigger boys going under at all.

It's a crazy industry no doubt but I can only see the gap between the haves and have nots getting wider.
    Mainly because the EFL don't have the kahunas & let them take the easy way out. Let the clubs go into administration, give them a token points deduction (which may force relegation) and then the clubs get an injection of capital, pay their creditors 10p in the £ and then within a couple of years spend millions getting promoted. AKA Southampton.
    That is as true as it is disgraceful Golfie. When there is no consequence of overspending, clubs will never stop doing it.
  • Greenie said:

PaddyP17 said:

This, a lot.

That is as true as it is disgraceful Golfie. When there is no consequence of overspending, clubs will never stop doing it.
    Except, in Southampton's case, this very old meme isn't true. "Not only did the new owner save the club, but he also paid the debts in full, as opposed to many new owners who only pay a few pennies in the pound for debts owed, leaving many small business and public authorities out of pocket... Importantly, Liebherr cleared the debts to the bank, tax authorities and trade creditors as part of the acquisition, replacing them with a £20 million shareholder loan"

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/southampton-saints-alive.html
  • edited November 2017
    Palace creditors got 5p in the pound.

Seven years later they spent £32m on Benteke.
  • With Pulis West Brom were never going down. Now they could be in trouble.
  • Greenie said:

PaddyP17 said:

This, a lot.

Except, in Southampton's case, this very old meme isn't true. "Not only did the new owner save the club, but he also paid the debts in full, as opposed to many new owners who only pay a few pennies in the pound for debts owed, leaving many small business and public authorities out of pocket... Importantly, Liebherr cleared the debts to the bank, tax authorities and trade creditors as part of the acquisition, replacing them with a £20 million shareholder loan"

I think you’ll find that trade debtors didn’t include Aviva that, effectively, built the club a free £30m stadium.
  • dizzee said:

With Pulis West Brom were never going down. Now they could be in trouble.

They'd won 2 league games in 21 I think, relegation form.
  • dizzee said:

With Pulis West Brom were never going down. Now they could be in trouble.

They'd won 2 league games in 21 I think, relegation form.
    Not with all the shite teams in the prem this year.

He’d be better than the dancing fool
    Oh No, this clown looks like he could be in work again soon

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42121688
  • Sponsored links:

• At least we will see less of him on Sky.

He’d be better than the dancing fool
    Oh No, this clown looks like he could be in work again soon

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42121688
    Usually has a positive impact when he first arrives. Painful for Palace fans if he keeps the Baggies up at their expense. We can then enjoy the implosion next season when he starts putting it about with his players' wives.
  • The Pards Effect has already happened with Baggies one up at Spurs.
  • Very tough job at West Brom - they are a bang average side and it will be very tough to move the needle in mid-season.

His only advantage is that there is some absolute crap in that division this year in the form of Palace, Everton, Swansea, West Ham, Saints, Newcastle and Stoke...

Pulis got results by playing 'his' way and it must be doubtful that they will be able to do much at all if they try and play football under Pardew given their crap squad.

Frankly, I reckon that he'd be a mug to take the job but I am sure he'll take it on the basis that he will negotiate himself a nice little earner no matter what happens.
  • Greenie said:

PaddyP17 said:

This, a lot.

Irritating use of the word ‘meme’ aside, that’s really interesting, thanks for posting.
  • Alan Pardew has been confirmed as West Brom boss... least it gets him off the SKY pundit team!!
  • Bung your money on WBA to go down now.
  • Playing the Nigels this weekend, so I hope the new manager bounce comes into play, before the inevitable shitshow
  • Spot the difference

One on the left shits out of its mouth instead of its arse