Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Kings Cross Fire-30 years today.

The fire which killed 31 people & left over 100 casualties happened on 18th November 1987, a channel 5 documentary shown last Thursday includes interviews with some of the survivors & emergency service workers who were at the scene that night.The programme will be repeated on Sunday at 22.00,i found it a very moving & enlightening documentary & it shows how things have changed since that day.
http://www.channel5.com/show/the-kings-cross-fire-6-hours-that-shocked-britain/

Comments

• Wow, 30 years ago. I was drinking in a pub between Euston and Kings Cross that evening and remember the commotion but was unaware of the scale of the disaster.
  • Wasn't one body never identified?
  • Addickted said:

Wasn't one body never identified?

The person was identified about 16 years after the fire,it is covered in the documentary.
  • I will be at the memorial at 11am ( i work as an engineer at Kings Cross)
  • That was one of the biggest incidents that I ever attended in my 30years in the fire brigade.
    Hard to believe it was 30 years ago I can remember it vividly.
  • A shocking and sad incident. I was in University Halls then quite nearby, I could so easily have been passing through the station myself, for some reason we decided to stay in that evening
  • I remember a senior fire guy who went down to assess the emergency - came up to order more fire-fighters on scene, and then selflessly went back down to assist with evacuation and lost his life.
    Terrible tragedy.
  • Friends dad was a fireman at the scene and it still haunts him to this day, he actually had to quit as a firefighter because of the effects it had on him.
  • I remember a senior fire guy who went down to assess the emergency - came up to order more fire-fighters on scene, and then selflessly went back down to assist with evacuation and lost his life.
    Terrible tragedy.

Station officer Colin Townsley RIP