Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup Draw

Comments

• Tim Vickery is an excellent pundit

He used to do an excellent column on the BBC Website every week (?) about South American Football

For some reason though they got rid of ALL the columns bar McNulty which included Vickery's
    He's a permanent presence on BBC 5 Live's World Football Weekly podcast, worth a regular listen for him alone
  • They will still be on the plane home after the quarter finals. Great at qualifying, crap at knock out.

Quarter finals would be a decent tournament after the last few years.
  • Tim Vickery is an excellent pundit

Should be involved in more high profile TV coverage.
    Completely agree.

He lives in Rio which probably explains why he's not on the BBC for the Premier League or England Internationals. However don't see why he isn't a more high profile pundit at World Cups
  • edited December 2017

Some good timings there, two 7pm games on weeknights (Tunisia and Belgium) and 1pm on a Sunday (Panama).

Perfect for me 1pm game falls on my day off Mondays :) - Edit 1pm is the Sunday, my bad haha
  • ENGLAND GAMES:

Monday 18th June, Volgograd (vs. Tunisia) - 4pm
    Sunday 24th June, Nizhny Novgorod (vs. Panama) - 1pm
    Thursday 28th June, Kaliningrad (vs. Belgium) - 7pm

I've added the KO times as per the BBC website so UK time
    It's Belgium v Panama that's at 4pm on 18th June, our game is at 7pm.
    Cheers just noticed my error

Its stupid because should the Group go to form then both England and Belgium should have six points by the final game (when the two sides face each other) - Group H will finish before ours so basically it could be a situation where both England and Belgium TRY to lose if they dont like their opponents for the 2nd Round!!
  • Really good draw for England. Belgium obviously have this insane Golden Generation, but they've long struggled to play as a team and you'd have to fancy your tactical wits coming up against Roberto Martinez.

I haven't seen them recently, but Tunisia are meant to be a decent side, but nothing more. A bunch of their players play in the domestic league there.

And Panama are not very good. Plucky underdogs and all that, but the type of team England need to beat to do anything of any significance in the tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• Already planning the BBQ and piss up on June 24th
  • PaddyP17 said:

Russia 100% have a fixed draw there surely? That looks suspiciously easy.

Yeah mate I don't now how closely you follow events in Russia but I wouldn't go around accusing them of anything they obviously didn't do because they are a fine and not at all corrupt nation and they have my utmost respect.
  • SDAddick said:

Really good draw for England. Belgium obviously have this insane Golden Generation, but they've long struggled to play as a team and you'd have to fancy your tactical wits coming up against Roberto Martinez.

I haven't seen them recently, but Tunisia are meant to be a decent side, but nothing more. A bunch of their players play in the domestic league there.

And Panama are not very good. Plucky underdogs and all that, but the type of team England need to beat to do anything of any significance in the tournament.

Belgium are no different to England in the 00s... They've got a great 'keeper | Defence | Midfield but they're suspect when it comes to their Striker and dont play together as a unit more like a bunch of individuals

Looking at the Tunisia team they've got four players who play in Europe; the rest either play in Tunisia or the Middle East

Tim Vickey says that the Panama players are mainly in their 30s and wont do a Costa Rica
  • So if England win the group they play the runners up of which group?
  • edited December 2017

Group A Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
    Group B Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
    Group C France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
    Group D Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
    Group E Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
    Group F Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
    Group G Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
    Group H Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

My first thought was "poor Iceland," but having had a second thought, being in a group with teams better at attacking than defending actually might suit them nicely. They beat Croatia to top spot in the group, and beat them in Reykjavik so they shouldn't fear them. Nigeria aren't anything too special. And this Argentina side struggled to qualify, though under Sampaoli I expect them to improve as time goes on. But they're quite unbalanced, and the 3-4-3 exposes the fact that they don't really have wingbacks (or decent fullbacks) and they're very "meh" in midfield.

Japan | Senegal | Colombia | Poland
  • SDAddick said:

Group A Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
    Group B Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
    Group C France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
    Group D Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
    Group E Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
    Group F Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
    Group G Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
    Group H Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

My first thought was "poor Iceland," but having had a second thought, being in a group with teams better at attacking than defending actually might suit them nicely. They beat Croatia to top spot in the group, and beat them in Reykjavik so they shouldn't fear them. Nigeria aren't anything too special. And this Argentina side struggled to qualify, though under Sampaoli I expect them to improve as time goes on. But they're quite unbalances, and the 3-4-3 exposes the fact that they don't really have wingbacks (or decent fullbacks) and they're very "meh" in midfield.
    Frustrating isnt it... You face a team in Qualifying and then get them in the World Cup!!

Thats something else that shouldnt be allowed to happen in the Group Stages if it can be helped
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently we've played Belgium and Tunisia on 24-occasions... we've lost once

And if they finish runners up? Where do you get the info from?
  • SDAddick said:

Really good draw for England. Belgium obviously have this insane Golden Generation, but they've long struggled to play as a team and you'd have to fancy your tactical wits coming up against Roberto Martinez.

Belgium are no different to England in the 00s... They've got a great 'keeper | Defence | Midfield but they're suspect when it comes to their Striker and dont play together as a unit more like a bunch of individuals

Looking at the Tunisia team they've got four players who play in Europe; the rest either play in Tunisia or the Middle East

Tim Vickey says that the Panama players are mainly in their 30s and wont do a Costa Rica
    No they have nowhere near the quality of player that Costa Rica did.

I was kind of alluding to the English golden generation when talking about Belgium. They do have some absolutely world class players obviously, and I think they have more of them than England did by far. But you're absolutely right, it's playing as a team and linking midfield to attack where they struggle. And Lukaku, as we're seeing with United but as we've seen with Belgium for years, needs space to run in behind. If you deny him that, he is very ineffective.

Whoever wins that Group... I worked it out on Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup#Bracket
  • Such is my interest in it, I'd actually forgotten the draw was today.

Even England should qualify from that group, however I also expected them to beat Iceland!

Whoever wins that Group... I worked it out on Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup#Bracket
    Cheers.

Group G winner v Group H runner up
    Group H winner v Group G runner up
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

No they have nowhere near the quality of player that Costa Rica did.

I was kind of alluding to the English golden generation when talking about Belgium. They do have some absolutely world class players obviously, and I think they have more of them than England did by far. But you're absolutely right, it's playing as a team and linking midfield to attack where they struggle. And Lukaku, as we're seeing with United but as we've seen with Belgium for years, needs space to run in behind. If you deny him that, he is very ineffective.
    Think we are better off facing Belgium than say Poland as they will just defend where Belgium will attack and we can then counter with our pace (Sterling/Walker/Rose/Rashford)