Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which school were you at?

Comments

• Options
    Did you start to try to hide stuff under the rice to test him? I would have.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

@cabbles my son went to UKC but graduated the year you joined, you had a close shave :wink: and @AddickinSW16 I was captain of Conway Road School Football team in 1961/2 , did they still play in green shirts with white sleeves in your day?

@RedChaser , this thread has got me feeling all nostalgic about my school days. I ended up looking at Plumstead Stories online and saw lots of photos of Conway Road school. I'm wondering if that school was different to mine. Mine was on Gallosson Road, just of Conway Road and heading towards Plumstead High Street, but I have no recollection of another school in the immediate area other than Bannockburn and St. Patrick's. Where was your school?
    It's the same one you went to mate wine was the school blazer Conway Castle the badge, apart from St Pats Griffin Road and Bannockburn Plumstead High Street there was Gallions Mount up by Winns Common where we used to play our home games. Wednesday afternoon football practice was by coach at Camdale Rd next to the cemetery, long since a paddock for horses.

edit; forgot to mention Earl Rise school near Anne St the other side of Griffin Road towards Woolwich and Brewery Road.
    Great stuff! If you're interested, do check out Plumstead Stories online. They have lots of photos of the school from the 1930s onward. What year did you leave? I had a teacher there who had been teaching at the school since the '60s.

Also, Steve Sutherland @Suthers , who many on here will know, I believe is a former Conway boy. I believe.
    I would have been there through infants and juniors from 1955 to 1962 what was the teacher's name?
    Ah, I think she started in '63. Her name was Margaret Gilbert.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

@cabbles my son went to UKC but graduated the year you joined, you had a close shave :wink: and @AddickinSW16 I was captain of Conway Road School Football team in 1961/2 , did they still play in green shirts with white sleeves in your day?

@RedChaser , this thread has got me feeling all nostalgic about my school days. I ended up looking at Plumstead Stories online and saw lots of photos of Conway Road school. I'm wondering if that school was different to mine. Mine was on Gallosson Road, just of Conway Road and heading towards Plumstead High Street, but I have no recollection of another school in the immediate area other than Bannockburn and St. Patrick's. Where was your school?
    It's the same one you went to mate wine was the school blazer Conway Castle the badge, apart from St Pats Griffin Road and Bannockburn Plumstead High Street there was Gallions Mount up by Winns Common where we used to play our home games. Wednesday afternoon football practice was by coach at Camdale Rd next to the cemetery, long since a paddock for horses.

edit; forgot to mention Earl Rise school near Anne St the other side of Griffin Road towards Woolwich and Brewery Road.
    Great stuff! If you're interested, do check out Plumstead Stories online. They have lots of photos of the school from the 1930s onward. What year did you leave? I had a teacher there who had been teaching at the school since the '60s.

Also, Steve Sutherland @Suthers , who many on here will know, I believe is a former Conway boy. I believe.
    I would have been there through infants and juniors from 1955 to 1962 what was the teacher's name?
    Doesn't ring a bell just missed her but she would have known some of my old teachers; Mr Mockeridge his wife Miss Weeks, Tom Lovatt, Mr Reeves and head Mrs Skelton.
  • Options

St Gregorys Catholic comp school, Tunbridge Wells
    1998-2003 possibly not sure on dates
    lol i was a proper sh*tbag

My eldest started there last week. Don't suppose you know Richard Coates, or the brothers Ben & Luke (can't remember their surnames)
    I am not too sure i am afraid, Doesn't ring a bell. Good luck to your eldest
    Cheers JB
  • Options
    Roan. 1970-77
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

This thread was started way back in 2007 and some of you have told us at least 3 times which schools you went to.

I've an excuse, I struggle to remember what i did this morning.

Bloomfield school. ;)
  • Options

Roan. 1970-77

I was at Chis & Sid for exactly those years. Presumably you were there at the same time as David Campbell?
  • Options

Did you start to try to hide stuff under the rice to test him? I would have.

All the time. We were students and massive chancers.

He would be shouting 'more rice, more rice. Have you got anything under your rice'. But he didn't have the confidence to challenge you when he could see you were hiding stuff. He just got more red faced
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Roan. 1970-77

I was at Chis & Sid for exactly those years.
    Oh no, not another one. A little before my time. I was a bit of a football loner, let alone Charlton, though later discovered @Airman Brown was around. Got the class let off Latin homework once because I was the only one going to see us play WHU in midweek league cup tie. Thanks to teacher Mr Mason, who was a Hammer.

(Apologies if this is a repeated story from about ten years ago - can't be bothered to trawl back through thread...)
  • Options
    Wingfield Primary (Ferrier Estate), 85-91. Most of the kids supported either Liverpool or Millwall back then, felt like I was the only Charlton fan in the whole school!

And then, like a lot of the kids from the Ferrier, Thomas Tallis, 91-98. Met a few other Charlton fans there including the (now) famous Seb Lewis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Roan. 1970-77

I was at Chis & Sid for exactly those years. Presumably you were there at the same time as David Campbell?
    Yes. Same year as David.
  • Options
    Verulam School, St Albans

Needless to say there weren't many Charlton fans...
  • Options

Roan. 1970-77

I was at Chis & Sid for exactly those years.
    Oh no, not another one. A little before my time. I was a bit of a football loner, let alone Charlton, though later discovered @Airman Brown was around. Got the class let off Latin homework once because I was the only one going to see us play WHU in midweek league cup tie. Thanks to teacher Mr Mason, who was a Hammer.

(Apologies if this is a repeated story from about ten years ago - can't be bothered to trawl back through thread...)
    I knew Richard Mason very well - ended up playing for his football team he managed in the Kent Suburban League. The school is still to this day rugby, rugby and more rugby.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Doesn't ring a bell just missed her but she would have known some of my old teachers; Mr Mockeridge his wife Miss Weeks, Tom Lovatt, Mr Reeves and head Mrs Skelton.
    Mockeridge was a friend of my father. Nice chap.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Redrobo said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

@Redrobo I managed to have a chat with him when I was in my late teens/early twenties when he was then working at Alexander Mcleod and was with the school choir out carol singing and he remembered me. He was quite a strict teacher and you didn't want to cross him, so I didn't. Took us for football had a shot on him, mind you when you're eleven all adults had a shot on them...........no Churchino references please :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Redrobo said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

@Redrobo I managed to have a chat with him when I was in my late teens/early twenties when he was then working at Alexander Mcleod and was with the school choir out carol singing and he remembered me. He was quite a strict teacher and you didn't want to cross him, so I didn't. Took us for football had a shot on him, mind you when you're eleven all adults had a shot on them...........no Churchino references please :wink:
    The school choir.
    I bet you do a lovely rendition of valley Floyd road :smile:
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Redrobo said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

The school choir.
    I bet you do a lovely rendition of valley Floyd road :smile:
    Lol, no I wasn't singing, Mr M was with the Alex McLeod school choir outside our flat. As it happens I can bang out a half decent VFR and at the correct tempo I would hasten to add :wink:
  • Options
    Ive been through the whole thread and can't find anyone who confessed to going to my old school. Mind you, you did need to be at least a little eccentric to get in there.

Dartford Technical High School for Boys 1972-9
  • Options
    Charterhouse secondary
    66 till 71
    Fuck all qualifications
    As most who argue with me on Brexit thread 's will not find surprising
  • Options
    Woolwich Poly 1973 to 1979 I remember it was a long walk to get our school meals at dinner time right to the top of Calderwood Street I think it was
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ive been through the whole thread and can't find anyone who confessed to going to my old school. Mind you, you did need to be at least a little eccentric to get in there.

Me too from 1980-85
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I did @Lazy_eye_metaphor

Roughly the same years as you I think, 1972 or 73 until Jan 77 when the old man moved us oop north. I hated that school with a vengeance and Percy was well pleased to see the back of me!

St Thomas a Becket in Abbey Wood prior to that.
  • Options
    Normandy primary. Crayford secondary. Newbury house
  • Options

My wife's twin brother was there between '74 and '80. His name is Colin Webster and I believe that he was quite a decent goalkeeper.
  • Options

I did @Lazy_eye_metaphor

Roughly the same years as you I think, 1972 or 73 until Jan 77 when the old man moved us oop north. I hated that school with a vengeance and Percy was well pleased to see the back of me!

Ah good old Percy Black! Do you remember Tutters the history teacher? His favourite words (at least to me anyway) - YES YOU GET OUTSIDE!!
  • Options

My wife's twin brother was there between '74 and '80. His name is Colin Webster and I believe that he was quite a decent goalkeeper.
    Would have been two years below me so wouldn't have known him. Only Webster I knew from those days was a nasty piece of work. Probably inside now.
  • Options
    Kelvin Grove Primary, Sydenham.
    Oxted Grammar, Surrey.
    Ashford Grammar, now Norton Knatchbull.
    South Kent College of Technology, Ashford and Folkestone.
  • Options

I did @Lazy_eye_metaphor

Ah good old Percy Black! Do you remember Tutters the history teacher? His favourite words (at least to me anyway) - YES YOU GET OUTSIDE!!
    Percy Black was a scary little bugger, he once said to me that he caned me so often all the fun had gone out of it. I remember Tutters by name but nothing more, I didn't have him for lessons. Mike Wesson was my form teacher in the first year and also my maths teacher, I seem to remember a female PE teacher always hanging around him who the kids nicknamed Titty Thoms!

Jackie Metcalfe, Graham Nichols, Maggie Mountjoy, Mr Gough, Jim Austen and Mr Edgelar who was the headmaster are some of the teachers I do remember.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited September 2017

I did @Lazy_eye_metaphor

Percy Black was a scary little bugger, he once said to me that he caned me so often all the fun had gone out of it. I remember Tutters by name but nothing more, I didn't have him for lessons. Mike Wesson was my form teacher in the first year and also my maths teacher, I seem to remember a female PE teacher always hanging around him who the kids nicknamed Titty Thoms!

Jackie Metcalfe, Graham Nichols, Maggie Mountjoy, Mr Gough, Jim Austen and Mr Edgelar who was the headmaster are some of the teachers I do remember.
    Most of those were there when I turned up. Percy retired not long after I got there and I remember a group of 6th formers got a policewoman stripogram for him on his last day in front of the whole school. Think he quite enjoyed it. Mike Wesson was my form tutor then Jesse James who smoked a pipe constantly during lessons.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I did @Lazy_eye_metaphor

Wesson also had a catch phrase - What the HELL do you think you are doing lad!

I had Percy for Physics. He was constantly telling us that if we passed our O Level we could get a cushy job with the Post Office. Probably true in those days.

Who was your History teacher? Tall guy with a lisp called Robinson?