Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Curry thread.

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    I'm reading this thinking about eating a vindy. 

Theres a relatively new very nicely decked out place in Chatham called the sultan. I was concerned it would be style over substance but I've enjoyed every meal I've had down there

I like the hot stuff and I've not ordered off the menu yet, the waiter asked me what I like and what I don't and the chef has produced something hot and interesting every time. Sensibly priced as well, so much so that I'm confident they have ballsed up a couple of times and either not added drinks or just given us 50% off

Recommended
  • Options
    Howells said:0
    Kasturi in Charlton village is decent. The vindaloo wasn't as hot as you get in other curry houses but glowing reviews all round from my party. Something a bit left-field as I'm not sure i'd consider it a curry house per se is a little place in Woolwich called Kaliash momo. Nepalese restaurant that is simply sensational.
    Anyone been to Kailash Momo recently? Is it good still?
    Decided to go after reading this but it's not open tonight.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:
    Visited The Papadam in Tylney Road, Bromley on Sunday evening after a few beers in the Freelands Tavern. Went there some time ago and was not impressed but has changed hands and we had a really enjoyable meal. Lots of choice and not just the bog-standard menu. Will definitely be going back.
    The Tamasha is closer & better, although more expensive.

So I've heard. Always intended to go but heard some iffy reports about the place eg. still charging premium prices but food/service not as good as before.  I haven't been there so will make the effort and make my own judgment.
    It's unique in a good way.

Actually, my favourite Indian restaurant is the Amber Fort in Upper Elmer's End Road; been going there for years, brilliant place, great owner who really takes pride in his menu.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:
    Visited The Papadam in Tylney Road, Bromley on Sunday evening after a few beers in the Freelands Tavern. Went there some time ago and was not impressed but has changed hands and we had a really enjoyable meal. Lots of choice and not just the bog-standard menu. Will definitely be going back.

So I've heard. Always intended to go but heard some iffy reports about the place eg. still charging premium prices but food/service not as good as before.  I haven't been there so will make the effort and make my own judgment.

Actually, my favourite Indian restaurant is the Amber Fort in Upper Elmer's End Road; been going there for years, brilliant place, great owner who really takes pride in his menu.
    A bit to close to Selhurst Park to relax and enjoy yourself :-)
  • Options
    I know that our memory plays tricks but. 
    Indian restaurant s 20 years ago served much better food than today. 
    I went to Goa on holiday a few years ago and had the best food ever. 
    I still love a ruby but they ain't what they used to be. 
    The fact is that anglicised curry is a different beast to the genuine article. A Goa vindaloo is a tangy warning spicy dish bursting with flavour. A UK version is just the standard house curry paste used for every other dish with a shovel full of chilli thrown in.

Anyone who loves curry should have a go at following a genuine recipe with whole spices and learn the key technique of browning the onions in too much oil before adding any spices. Discard any recipe that has “curry powder” as an ingredient.

• Options
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:

Is that the one that was next to the Rising Sun pub?  There used to be a very very good one there i know the pub is gone but is it the same restaurant? 
  • Options
    Too hot for curry talk
    I'm sure the idea of eating hot/spicy food in hot countries is to balance your temperature. Might be wrong though.

I'm lucky enough to be married to an Indian who has some lovely friends who send me food  parcels ever week. As @Dippenhall says a proper curry is nothing like the stuff from a restaurant or take away.
  • Options
    Too hot for curry talk
    I'm sure the idea of eating hot/spicy food in hot countries is to balance your temperature. Might be wrong though.

I'm lucky enough to be married to an Indian who has some lovely friends who send me food  parcels ever week. As @Dippenhall says a proper curry is nothing like the stuff from a restaurant or take away.
    This - I am lucky enough to have an Indian uncle and de facto a whole Indian branch of the family. Punjabi food is wonderful, lacks all of the bright red food colouring used by Bengali chefs in “ Indian “ restaurants and doesn’t use cream , but instead yoghurt.

Whilst in the Punjab for three weeks I ate meat once and didn’t miss it at all 
  • Options
    There’s nothing wrong with our Anglo curry although It’s nothing like you would eat in India but it’s obviously something we like.  It has been developed for us and cooked for us mostly by people who are not actually Indian.
    But I do have to agree with the above posters about true Indian food well worth the experience. I work quite close to Drummond Street, there’s a couple along there that’s worth a visit. 
  • Options
    There’s nothing wrong with our Anglo curry although It’s nothing like you would eat in India but it’s obviously something we like.  It has been developed for us and cooked for us mostly by people who are not actually Indian.
    But I do have to agree with the above posters about true Indian food well worth the experience. I work quite close to Drummond Street, there’s a couple along there that’s worth a visit. 
    Good point that most Indian restaurants  are not actually Indian.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    Kasturi in Charlton village is decent. The vindaloo wasn't as hot as you get in other curry houses but glowing reviews all round from my party. Something a bit left-field as I'm not sure i'd consider it a curry house per se is a little place in Woolwich called Kaliash momo. Nepalese restaurant that is simply sensational.

Went tonight.
    Brilliant. Highly recommend the vegetarian options.