Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Curry thread.

Comments

• Options
    holyjo said:

holyjo said:

Best - the YMCA student hostel in Fitzroy Square. South Indian cuisine at its very best for about eight quid . Highly recommend for lunch

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d734172-Reviews-Indian_YMCA_Dining_Hall-London_England.html?m=19904

Any proper Punjabi restaurant. The food is without the awful red food colouring added by the Bengali chefs and largely without cream added only for the Brit’s

I had one of the best curries I’ve ever had at the YWCA in Delhi, is there a significance to the organisation and India?
    The YMCA is in 120 plus countries. There are however more YMCA's in India than any other country bar the US. The YMCA started in 1844 in London but was an idea of its time and spread very quickly . In 1855 the YMCA was in 80 countries , largely though not exclusively via the British Empire. I am a guest of the Indian YMCA in a couple of weeks for a formal dinner so I shall enjoy their hospitality. I have stayed at the YMCA in Delhi which also does great food.

Other Geeky Y info - we invented Basketball and Volleyball, a YMCA member started the poppy wearing after the Y ran the postal services and tea canteens from the front-line during world war 1. We have an advisory role at the UN related to young people. Geek info stopped !!

And the Indian Y is a great place to stay in India and a great place to eat in London
    That’s fascinating, thanks. So I guess there is reason to you’re user name.

I was taken to this YWCA by the former commander of the Indian special forces, he was a member of about 15 gymkhanas but really wanted me to go there.

Then again he absolutely loved a domino’s pizza too!
  • Options
    holyjo said:

holyjo said:

Best - the YMCA student hostel in Fitzroy Square. South Indian cuisine at its very best for about eight quid . Highly recommend for lunch

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d734172-Reviews-Indian_YMCA_Dining_Hall-London_England.html?m=19904

Any proper Punjabi restaurant. The food is without the awful red food colouring added by the Bengali chefs and largely without cream added only for the Brit’s

I had one of the best curries I’ve ever had at the YWCA in Delhi, is there a significance to the organisation and India?
    The YMCA is in 120 plus countries. There are however more YMCA's in India than any other country bar the US. The YMCA started in 1844 in London but was an idea of its time and spread very quickly . In 1855 the YMCA was in 25 countries , largely though not exclusively via the British Empire. I am a guest of the Indian YMCA in a couple of weeks for a formal dinner so I shall enjoy their hospitality. I have stayed at the YMCA in Delhi which also does great food.

Other Geeky Y info - we invented Basketball and Volleyball, a YMCA member started the poppy wearing after the Y ran the postal services and tea canteens from the front-line during world war 1. We have an advisory role at the UN related to young people. Geek info stopped !!

And the Indian Y is a great place to stay in India and a great place to eat in London
    They have everything for you men to enjoy
    You can hang out with all the boys
    So I have heard
  • Options

holyjo said:

holyjo said:

The YMCA is in 120 plus countries. There are however more YMCA's in India than any other country bar the US. The YMCA started in 1844 in London but was an idea of its time and spread very quickly . In 1855 the YMCA was in 80 countries , largely though not exclusively via the British Empire. I am a guest of the Indian YMCA in a couple of weeks for a formal dinner so I shall enjoy their hospitality. I have stayed at the YMCA in Delhi which also does great food.

I was taken to this YWCA by the former commander of the Indian special forces, he was a member of about 15 gymkhanas but really wanted me to go there.

Another bit of trivia that links in nicely...

My wifes uncle was killed in a joint Indian/Norwegian special forces operation to free 5 western hostages in Kashmir in 1995. The attempt failed and the hostages were killed.
  • Options

Never had a bad meal in Aligor in Bexleyheath and very reasonably priced. The Darjeeling in Lee Green is also good.

My worst experience was the Akash also in Bexleyheath circa 1988. Had the Chicken Jalfrezi on a Friday. On the loo for 12 hours afterwards. My arse was so raw I had to stand up in my mates car the next day when he drove us to a Sellhurst home game.

Akash was my regular when i lived off the Broadway in the late 80's. When i say regular, far from it as i do remember a couple of close calls. Anyone remember the one at the very top of Eltham High Street... i had an arse like tbe back of the Batmobile after that place!
  • Options
    At work I would say Diwana Drummond St. And its close to the Bre Louise, which makes a long lunch worthwhile. The lunch buffet is superb, although meat eaters wont agree.
    Closer to home Shampan or Indian Essence the latter being particularly good as is has a bit of a British twist on a lot of the dishes. Not all the same generic mush sides and main courses that you see everywhere except in India.
    Take away, Bombay kitchen (or Mumbai), never had a anything other than good from them.

I'm very fond of Dishoom, (and their House Black Daal), for a quick pre-going out meal. Although not always quick if you get there anytime after 5:30

The worst I've had, any number of ones from various "restaurants" in Sheerness.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

In India at the moment. In the south for a few days before heading to Delhi.

Food so far has been good. Seems much fresher and lighter than back home. Some killer spice when you least expect it though!

Was told to go veggie here as the meat can be a little too adventurous.

My wife came back from Dehli on Friday after spending a week in Guagon City just outside Dehli. Be prepared for smog. She said it was the worst air conditions she’d experienced anywhere.
    Pretty sure it’ll be Hotel to Office and back. Hopefully I won’t get it too bad. Does sound aweful though.

• Options
    Ruchis at Albany Park used to be hard to beat, but I think that was surpassed by the Shaon in Chislehurst in my opinion. The Spicemaster in Nuxley Village was good, but I haven't been to the last two for some time.

The worst ones I have been in are one down a side street between Covent Garden and The Strand and one in Bath (in a lovely building and setting, but the food was pretty tasteless and worst still it was cold).
  • Options

holyjo said:

holyjo said:

Another bit of trivia that links in nicely...

My wifes uncle was killed in a joint Indian/Norwegian special forces operation to free 5 western hostages in Kashmir in 1995. The attempt failed and the hostages were killed.
    I have the book - The Meadow
  • Options
    A particularly bland one, maharajah of India, tiny little place on Charing Cross road opposite Garrick theatre.
    Avoid
  • Options
    "Hot Stuff" near Stockwell/ Vauxhall was always excellent. Not sure if it's still going.

Went Babur 3 weeks ago and if you eat after 9 and book in advance then it's half price for mains. Want that sold on the food to be honest though.

Had some excellent curry in Southall and Hounslow, but couldn't tell you where.

Spice Society in Beckenham is very good if the best chef is on, but it's a bit dear.

Used to go to Mirch regularly in Norbury, but they got done by environmental health, so steer clear now. Used to always chew on pan afterwards there too, not realising it was bad for you like cigarettes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Never had a bad meal in Aligor in Bexleyheath and very reasonably priced. The Darjeeling in Lee Green is also good.

My worst experience was the Akash also in Bexleyheath circa 1988. Had the Chicken Jalfrezi on a Friday. On the loo for 12 hours afterwards. My arse was so raw I had to stand up in my mates car the next day when he drove us to a Sellhurst home game.

Sure the Akash, circa 1988 made the local papers for shocking hygiene, used to love a ruby out of there, lived round the corner in Church Rd
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The Ambrette in Margate......quite superb.
    Probably the best and most interesting I’ve ever been to (apart from in India itself)....won all kinds of awards and has a chef who has also won awards.
    He regularly experiments and is well known for coming up trumps time and again.You’ll find dishes here that you’will not find anywhere else.
    Indian food with a difference, both in unheard of dishes here in The UK and top drawer presentation.
    Fabulous lunch time (very reasonably priced) set menus.....excellent wine list.
    You should always book to avoid disappointment as it’s not that big.
    Located in the old town.
  • Options
    Used to visit Monty's in Ealing Broadway when I lived over that way. Super Sunday down the pub and a takeaway. Don't think I ever went in there sober. The food was great (I think) and the staff were really good lads. Used to get free beers while we waited and the occasional free bottles for home. Their faces lit up when my mate went 'off menu' and ordered a phal once. It was inedible. Hotter than the sun! He gave it a good go, but ended up stripping down to his pants on the sofa (at home) while eating it! Happy days..,
  • Options
    A group of us used to go to Thames spice, just off borough market/Southwark street side back in the prem years. It's still there, but is called something else now I think? Last game of the season we played Southampton and drew 2-2 I think. We'd had a lot to drink, so a curry was needed. Ate the meal, paid the bill, then my mate disappears for ages. He eventually reappears in panic and we leave very quickly. Turns out he'd farted "with too much confidence" and followed through! His under crackers were a write off, so logically he decided to flush them down the loo! Didn't work and he'd blocked the khazi! I couldn't stop laughing all the way home, but felt sorry for the poor lad who had to deal with the fallout! The food was always top notch in there btw.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

Used to visit Monty's in Ealing Broadway when I lived over that way. Super Sunday down the pub and a takeaway. Don't think I ever went in there sober. The food was great (I think) and the staff were really good lads. Used to get free beers while we waited and the occasional free bottles for home. Their faces lit up when my mate went 'off menu' and ordered a phal once. It was inedible. Hotter than the sun! He gave it a good go, but ended up stripping down to his pants on the sofa (at home) while eating it! Happy days..,

Little bit too much information there YTS!
  • Options
    Haven't been to too many places, but I do really rate Jai Ho in Horley - Chef has won multiple awards.

I like Hot curries that are full of flavour... not just raw oily heat.

Yet to find the perfect curry as they're mostly covered in oil - Jai Ho is definitely less oily though.
  • Options

I love the Lahore Kebab House on Umberston Street just off Commercial road.

Haven't had a bad one for a while but that's because I stick to places I know tbh.

Another vote for the Lahore - the lamb chops there are magnificent, it's BYO and handily placed for the Pride of Spitalfields.

I also like Gymkhana in Mayfair, although like the address in Monopoly, it's quite expensive.

For anyone who lives near south west London or thereabouts, Dastaan in Ewell on the Kingston Road is very good - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/28/dastaan-ewell-epsom-indian-restaurant-review-marina-oloughlin
  • Options
    Currently in the jalsha, supping on an ice cold cobra waiting for poppadoms.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried Chutney Mary in Chelsea? Think it may have shut down but that always divided opinion with colleagues at work
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

The best curry I ever had was in Leicester years ago, but unhelpfully I don't know what it's called, where it is or whether it still exists. What I do remember is having something called mogo chips, but I've never seen them before or since. If anyone knows a place that sells them, I'd love to know about it.

If anyone is still after mogo chips in a restaurant setting, Khanage on Wimbledon Broadway does them. Bonus points too for having a name that seems to be a pun on ‘carnage’
  • Options
    Just got back from Star of India Eltham. Was wonderful!
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Has anyone tried Chutney Mary in Chelsea? Think it may have shut down but that always divided opinion with colleagues at work

I shudder to think how the local brass got that nickname.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

I shudder to think how the local brass got that nickname.
    she's the posh version of sticky Vicky in Benidorm.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Just got back from Star of India Eltham. Was wonderful!

Haven’t been in there in years. It always was very good...pleased to know it’s still going strong.
  • Options
    I had a well above average Penang curry at The Robin Hood near Soi 33 on Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok last night. I didn't expect much from an ordinaryish pub but it was excellent. Curious feature of the pub was a red telephone inside the pub - used as a place where they cashed up.
  • Options
    Kathmandu 2 in Benalmadena last night. €12.95 for popadoms, mixed starter, curry, rice or naan and half a lager. Absolutely top notch.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Best Akbhar's in Bradford. Queues down the street on a Wednesday night. Naans the size of a table hung from stands to tear off. Also Svetlana's kitchen in Staines. Unusual South Indian menu and they didn't cook in ghee and had Sky football in part of the restaurant. Enjoyed Montys also.
  • Options
    Anyone been the Moghul Sidcup, had it recommended but haen't been there yet ?
  • Options

Anyone been the Moghul Sidcup, had it recommended but haen't been there yet ?

Very nice mate.