Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Curry thread.

Comments

• Options
    The Saffron Club Backheath village.
  • Options
    http://www.littleindiakent.co.uk/

This place is also very good and a lot cheaper than Tamasha.
  • Options
    Best - Indian essance petts wood. Any place that serves a side of fillet steak with your curry is onto a winner.

Worst - The British Raj Crayford. It's opposite the pub I drink which would be handy if it wasn't utter garbage!
  • Options
    Best - Fahim's in Swanley. Strange decor- sort of like an 80s nightclub inside. Usually get a takeaway.

Worst- can't remember the name but the one in Farningham HS next to the Chequers. They started off ok but then got a new chef. Mixed up orders arriving late, cold etc.
  • Options
    Best - hmm. I really like Babur in Forest Hill, not your standard tandoori, but the prices are a bit steep.

Had a fantastic meal at Spice of Life in Lee High Rd a few years back, I really remember the beetroot chutney.

I used to go to a little Indian vegetarian cafe in Covent Garden years ago (long gone as you might imagine - it was while there were still independent shops there). The food was fairly basic, but their veg thalis were great and I just remember being blown away by the range.

Worst - several in areas that have "curry miles" - had some awful food in Brick Lane in the past, likewise a fairly dreadful curry in Rusholme on a rainy day in Manchester.

I don't eat out much, sadly, so this is over quite some time.

• Options
    best - 2 that i used have recently closed down, ghandis spice and tara in bexleyheath, now go to aligor - v tasty and reasonably priced.

worst - Aladin on brick lane, which is one of the ones thats labelled as the best, what annoyed me was we got there then had to go next door to a different restaurant.
  • Options
    Quire a few along Balham high rd, never had a bad one from any of them
  • Options

Quire a few along Balham high rd, never had a bad one from any of them

mrs lives tooting bec, and been meaning to try some of them out any recomendations?
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Best - hmm. I really like Babur in Forest Hill, not your standard tandoori, but the prices are a bit steep.

Had a fantastic meal at Spice of Life in Lee High Rd a few years back, I really remember the beetroot chutney.

I used to go to a little Indian vegetarian cafe in Covent Garden years ago (long gone as you might imagine - it was while there were still independent shops there). The food was fairly basic, but their veg thalis were great and I just remember being blown away by the range.

Worst - several in areas that have "curry miles" - had some awful food in Brick Lane in the past, likewise a fairly dreadful curry in Rusholme on a rainy day in Manchester.

I second Babur - very good and a bit different from the usual fare. Cocktails very good too

Pricey, but a nice treat once in a while
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Worst - sadly the takeaway I had on Friday night from the Coriander Leaf in South Ealing. Every single bit of chicken was incredibly chewy, to the point I ended up fishing the last third of the meat out of the sauce and putting it to one side. I've never had to do that before.

Sorry about that. Next time go down the road a bit to Monty's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

rananegra said:

I second Babur - very good and a bit different from the usual fare. Cocktails very good too

Pricey, but a nice treat once in a while
    Keep meaning to go there, will get round to it soon.

Ganapati in Peckham is excellent. Also pricey but different. Elsewhere in South London, Boombas on Brixton Road is very good and well-placed for a post-Oval session.

Tayyabs and Needos have already been mentioned but there are great BYOBs in Tooting as well - Apollo Bananleaf is my favourite, superb Sri Lankan.

• Options

Best - Fahim's in Swanley. Strange decor- sort of like an 80s nightclub inside. Usually get a takeaway.

Worst- can't remember the name but the one in Farningham HS next to the Chequers. They started off ok but then got a new chef. Mixed up orders arriving late, cold etc.

Agree with both of these. Fahims is good if a little odd from time to time. Like being in an old air raid shelter underground with weird ever changing lighting. The place in Farningham is absolute garbage. Went there over the Christmas period a couple of years ago and it was chaotic with awful food.
  • Options

best - 2 that i used have recently closed down, ghandis spice and tara in bexleyheath, now go to aligor - v tasty and reasonably priced.

worst - Aladin on brick lane, which is one of the ones thats labelled as the best, what annoyed me was we got there then had to go next door to a different restaurant.

Agree about Aligor.
  • Options

I love the Lahore Kebab House on Umberston Street just off Commercial road.

Hands down one of the best in London.
  • Options
    I am pretty hard pushed to pick good from bad in Blackfen.
    The pair in the oval are alright as is the one on Blackfen Road.
    Then again, I am an easily pleased fat bastard.
  • Options

I am pretty hard pushed to pick good from bad in Blackfen.
    The pair in the oval are alright as is the one on Blackfen Road.
    Then again, I am an easily pleased fat bastard.

The Oval Brassiere has been a bit hit and miss for a while. Tend to go to The Jalsha near Sidcup Station now. Prefer The Ruchi but The Jalsha is within walking distance of most of out group.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Not much of a connoisseur really.
    Just a mixed grill, sag aloo and rice man.
    Pretty much your 21st century meat and two veg.
  • Options
    Best: Green Spice, Darenth

Worst: Was the Bangla Garden Swanscombe, but now closed
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Green spice in Darenth is a fav of ours both for takeaway and eating in.

Not a huge fan of takeaway curry, love green spice to visit, but never rated their takeaway, or anyone else’s to be fair, closest to decent is akash in Swanscombe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We got a take away from aligor last year and was inedible.
  • Options
    I had a curry in Munich a few years back. That was nothing to get excited about.
  • Options

I had a curry in Munich a few years back. That was nothing to get excited about.

As you mention Germany, there’s an excellent one in Frankfurt, Mayur Indian Restaurant.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

As you mention Germany, there’s an excellent one in Frankfurt, Mayur Indian Restaurant.
    I think that’s the one I’ve eaten in, was very good.
  • Options

Never had a bad meal in Aligor in Bexleyheath and very reasonably priced. The Darjeeling in Lee Green is also good.

My worst experience was the Akash also in Bexleyheath circa 1988. Had the Chicken Jalfrezi on a Friday. On the loo for 12 hours afterwards. My arse was so raw I had to stand up in my mates car the next day when he drove us to a Sellhurst home game.

Lucky he had a convertible.
  • Options
    Chutney’s in Shaftesbury
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Best - the YMCA student hostel in Fitzroy Square. South Indian cuisine at its very best for about eight quid . Highly recommend for lunch

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d734172-Reviews-Indian_YMCA_Dining_Hall-London_England.html?m=19904

Any proper Punjabi restaurant. The food is without the awful red food colouring added by the Bengali chefs and largely without cream added only for the Brit’s
  • Options
    Best - Mahan's in Joyden's Wood

Worst - Viceroy in Bexley Village
  • Options
    holyjo said:

Best - the YMCA student hostel in Fitzroy Square. South Indian cuisine at its very best for about eight quid . Highly recommend for lunch

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d734172-Reviews-Indian_YMCA_Dining_Hall-London_England.html?m=19904

Any proper Punjabi restaurant. The food is without the awful red food colouring added by the Bengali chefs and largely without cream added only for the Brit’s

I had one of the best curries I’ve ever had at the YWCA in Delhi, is there a significance to the organisation and India?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

holyjo said:

I had one of the best curries I’ve ever had at the YWCA in Delhi, is there a significance to the organisation and India?
    The YMCA is in 120 plus countries. There are however more YMCA's in India than any other country bar the US. The YMCA started in 1844 in London but was an idea of its time and spread very quickly . In 1855 the YMCA was in 25 countries , largely though not exclusively via the British Empire. I am a guest of the Indian YMCA in a couple of weeks for a formal dinner so I shall enjoy their hospitality. I have stayed at the YMCA in Delhi which also does great food.

Other Geeky Y info - we invented Basketball and Volleyball, a YMCA member started the poppy wearing after the Y ran the postal services and tea canteens from the front-line during world war 1. We have an advisory role at the UN related to young people. Geek info stopped !!

And the Indian Y is a great place to stay in India and a great place to eat in London