Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Curry thread.

Comments

• JohnBoyUK said:

Best in London - Lahore Kebab House or Needoo’s on New Road, next to Fieldgate Street where Taayabs is.

The same family that own Tayaabs owns Needoo and the food is miles better. I work about 250 yards away from both.

Worst - Gandhi Spice in Crayford. Had a great one in the curry house next to the Crayford Micropub last year.

I used to love the Tagore in Welling, actually had a Michelin award but they it moved to Tunbridge Wells in the late 90s but has since closed down.

Indian Essence in Petts Wood, Atul Kochhar’s restaurant is fab but you need to book in advance. It has been awarded a Michelin Bib Gourmand last 3 years.

Tagore was superb, North Indian, Rajasthani influence.
  • The best curry I ever had was in Leicester years ago, but unhelpfully I don't know what it's called, where it is or whether it still exists. What I do remember is having something called mogo chips, but I've never seen them before or since. If anyone knows a place that sells them, I'd love to know about it.
  • Stig said:

The best curry I ever had was in Leicester years ago, but unhelpfully I don't know what it's called, where it is or whether it still exists. What I do remember is having something called mogo chips, but I've never seen them before or since. If anyone knows a place that sells them, I'd love to know about it.

Sainsburys do them £1.50.
  • Stig said:

The best curry I ever had was in Leicester years ago, but unhelpfully I don't know what it's called, where it is or whether it still exists. What I do remember is having something called mogo chips, but I've never seen them before or since. If anyone knows a place that sells them, I'd love to know about it.

They are chips made from cassava - I don’t know anywhere that sells them though :-(
  • The cinnamon near Hildenborough, very good.
  • edited November 2017
    Best: Somewhere in Luton off the kind of high street that I can't remember the name of. Also a bring your own booze place near London Bridge (I think) which is also quite good, but that may be just because of memories with friends.

Worst: I've had a fair few curries where my reaction is "that's gross" or "I don't like the flavors there." But with those you can usually see what they were going for at least, and maybe it just wasn't to my liking. For me the worst are the litany of thoroughly mediocre curries you get here in the States. Ones that leave no impression.

Experiences: Going for a curry is what I always do with old uni mates or in my last night when visiting the UK so lots of really lovely memories. Also memories of being encouraged to try to pull someone and failing but that's an experience not limited to curry places but rather anywhere I've ever been in life.
  • The finest I’ve had in recent years have been at the Everest Dine in Leicester and Charcoals in Glasgow. Going back a few years I enjoyed the Lahore as others have said but I’ve not been since it was mismatching formica tables and no menu. I think it’s modernised a bit by all accounts. Also the Great Nepalese in Eversholt Street by Euston Station was great but not been there for a few years. Also was fortunate enough to visit India many years ago and had some great meals (and some not so great ones!).

Nearer home there are some good curries to be had. The Jafflong in Dartford is really good since it changed hands a few years ago although is now popular to the point of being too busy. The Spice Fusion in Crayford is good too.
  • Cafe spice namaste is bloody brilliant. Best curry I have ever had. British Raj in crayford is also excellent.

Green spice in Darenth is just grim. Horrible place and curry
  • Cafe spice namaste is bloody brilliant. Best curry I have ever had. British Raj in crayford is also excellent.

Another vote for British Raj. It’s the same owners as Spice Fusion in Crayford and the food is identical. Fusion is smaller and more modern The Raj is old school. Don’t much care for Green Spice either.
  • Worst - sadly the takeaway I had on Friday night from the Coriander Leaf in South Ealing. Every single bit of chicken was incredibly chewy, to the point I ended up fishing the last third of the meat out of the sauce and putting it to one side. I've never had to do that before.

Best - probably the time we went to the Bombay Brasserie for one of my uni friends' 25th birthday. Can't remember exactly what I had, but it was nicely aromatic rather than harshly spicy, and confusingly green. (This was before I'd come to know the joys of Thai Green Curry). The meat was beautifully tender, and the rice was well cooked but not clumpy. That said, as nice as it was, it was eyebrow-raisingly expensive for someone on a young teacher's salary, and his poor girlfriend (who was still a student at the time) nearly fell off her chair when she saw the prices on the menu.
  • Sponsored links:

• At the posher end of the spectrum, Quilon in Victoria is great. It’s Michelin starred and priced accordingly. The nearby Cinnamon Club in the old Westminster library is priced for the corporate expenses market and I find it a little poncy.
  • http://www.tamasha.co.uk/

Has won loads of prestigious awards and has Kama Sutra wallpaper in the gents.
  • Mint Leaf in the west End is excellent.
  • There's a few veggie ones on Drummond Street near Euston station that do good lunch buffets
  • http://www.tamasha.co.uk/

This place is very good.
  • Badger said:

http://www.tamasha.co.uk/

This place is very good.
    Always thought it was slightly overrated and very expensive

Another vote for British Raj. It’s the same owners as Spice Fusion in Crayford and the food is identical. Fusion is smaller and more modern The Raj is old school. Don’t much care for Green Spice either.
    Yeh had takeaways from spice fusion a few times and it has been great. Never eaten inside though. I love the service at the British Raj, all very friendly and welcoming.
  • Been going to the star of India in Eltham for decades. Probably not the best curry house in the world but I like it
  • Never had a bad one in S3 in Falconwood, used to like the Taste of Raj in Well Hall Road when I lived in Eltham.

Wellindian was a decent takeaway but had closed now

Up town, agree with Lahore kebab house but think tayabbs beats it. Also like Anokha by the Old Tea Warehosue on Creechurch Lane, best onion bhargee I’ve ever tasted
  • _MrDick said:

Been going to the star of India in Eltham for decades. Probably not the best curry house in the world but I like it

First time I took a date out for a curry, took her there, fond memories
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:

Mint Leaf in the west End is excellent.

Oh yes, forgot about Mint Leaf. One of my best mates had his wedding reception there about 5 years ago and the food was superb. Drinking Cobra on draught all night. Felt like death the next day!
  • West for a ruby up brick lane a couple of weeks ago, not been for years. Most of the curry houses have closed down! There's only a clutch at the top end near the brewery. About a decade ago the whole street was lined. Ok they weren't all the best but I was shocked.had some great nights there. Whole area looks even more run down, save for a few hipster embellishments
  • jamescafc said:

Badger said:

http://www.tamasha.co.uk/

This place is very good.
    Always thought it was slightly overrated and very expensive
    Only ever had good experiences there - agree it is a little on the pricey side but the ratio of staff to customer is probably higher than anywhere else. Not particularly indian I suppose, but the after dinner coffee where they burn the orange peel and liquify sugar all over the glass is great.

I've heard the bed and breakfast above the restaurant is less good...
  • had an awesome curry at home the other night from Vini and Bal's who had been on dragonsden. can now only buy online but very good. Had many excellent restaurant currys. Inaga in Coney Hall my current go-to place.

One of the worse is Curry Cottage, Beckenham HS
  • Diwana in West Wickham High St is very good.
    Lovely food, very nice staff.
  • _MrDick said:

Been going to the star of India in Eltham for decades. Probably not the best curry house in the world but I like it

Had my first every curry there 40+ yrs ago.

They must be doing something well to still be open.
  • edited November 2017
    _MrDick said:

It's my favorite. I think I first went around 1975 and still a regular. Their Prawn Pathia is excellent. It's not just a curry house for the people of Eltham Park, it's a social hotspot too.
    In my expense account days I went to the likes of Veeraswamy (delightful), Benares (underwhelming) and The Red Fort (adequate) but the one that made the biggest impression on me was The Ivory Club in Frankfurt, a fantastic experience all round.
  • Shampan is always pretty good.
  • In India at the moment. In the south for a few days before heading to Delhi.

Food so far has been good. Seems much fresher and lighter than back home. Some killer spice when you least expect it though!

Was told to go veggie here as the meat can be a little too adventurous.

My wife came back from Dehli on Friday after spending a week in Guagon City just outside Dehli. Be prepared for smog. She said it was the worst air conditions she’d experienced anywhere.