Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We've been drawn away to Swansea U21s in the Checkatrade

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2017
    If anyone wants to relive the drama...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYGjb5Gx6Pw
  • Options
    the name of Swansea gets me all angry. Not even yet relegated Parky showed himself to be the pussy that he is by settling for a draw. Avoiding relegation looked a hopeless cause but for gods sake give it a go. Ten minutes to go, 1-1, and three points there for the taking. Instead of going for it he took off one striker for another and the game petered out. The same happened at Reading the following week. He just didn't want to lose by trying to win as two draws looked better on his CV. He got the job for the following season, despite us being relegated with him as either Manager or first team coach all season, a truely dreadful relegation too, and despite the fact RM told the assembled Bromley Addicks at the end of the season that he was being sacked. Nice bloke maybe but I'll never forget him for being a coward and as bad a Manager as I've seen at Charlton, up there with Fraeye.

Rant over. Swansea, grrrrr ....
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Seb!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Is it just me or does it seem that we have to play every Enlish team in turn?, Ive never known such a confusing competition, what the hell is the point of it? and will they get it finished before next years one starts.
  • Options

You see Le Tissier looks thrilled to be there,should of got Rod Stewart in
  • Options
    edited November 2017

the name of Swansea gets me all angry. Not even yet relegated Parky showed himself to be the pussy that he is by settling for a draw. Avoiding relegation looked a hopeless cause but for gods sake give it a go. Ten minutes to go, 1-1, and three points there for the taking. Instead of going for it he took off one striker for another and the game petered out. The same happened at Reading the following week. He just didn't want to lose by trying to win as two draws looked better on his CV. He got the job for the following season, despite us being relegated with him as either Manager or first team coach all season, a truely dreadful relegation too, and despite the fact RM told the assembled Bromley Addicks at the end of the season that he was being sacked. Nice bloke maybe but I'll never forget him for being a coward and as bad a Manager as I've seen at Charlton, up there with Fraeye.

Very harsh assessment imo. Parky has proved himself to be a very good third tier manager and has had some success in the second tier too.

There was almost nothing anyone could do the arrest the slide once Pardew left the building. We were an utter shambles (something like 2 senior CBs at the club) and I genuinely think even Mourinho would've struggled to keep us up.

Looking at the Swansea game you mention, are you remembering things right? We equalised in the 55th minute through Nicky Bailey, following which the subs were:
    68 mins, Murty off & Holland on
    77 mins, Shelvey off & Ambrose on
    89 mins, Dickson off & Burton on
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/7899710.stm
  • Options
    Halix said:

Is it just me or does it seem that we have to play every Enlish team in turn?, Ive never known such a confusing competition, what the hell is the point of it? and will they get it finished before next years one starts.

No mate, I genuinely thought after the result in the week that we were out due to Portsmouth topping the group. I'm still undecided whether I was pleased or disappointed to find we're still in this dogs dinner of a competition but definitely leaning towards the latter.
  • Options

Went there for the 1-1 game in 2009, s*** ground.

We'll have a maximum of 50 there.

Nicky Bailey got our goal if my memory serves me rightly.
    I thought it was Jonjo Shelvey, but stand(not very tall) corrected.
  • Options
    It was Bailey, deflected shot. Was a grim weather day as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LouisMend said:

Crap draw. U21 teams at home after the group stage is ridiculous, there will be nobody there.

Especially if noone can be bothered to say when the game is being played.
  • Options

Up there with Fraeye despite nearly winning automatic promotion the following season without a goalscoring striker. Since proven himself further (at least at this level) with Bradford and Bolton.

Any manager that season would have found it difficult to keep us up.
  • Options
    So it's basically Swansea U21s v Charlton U21s then?
  • Options

The only way to avoid playing in this utter crap competition is to win promotion to the championship.
    Let's hope we can do this this season and never have to play in it again.

Unless we get promoted and enter it ourselves as an U21 side.

I actually wouldn't be too opposed to that so long as it literally was just our U21's making up the bulk of each squad.

It's playing the likes of Holmes and Fosu and setting them up for potential unnecessary injuries is my issue with being in this competition while in League One. Send the kids to Swansea so we're an U21 team ourselves in all but name.
  • Options

The only way to avoid playing in this utter crap competition is to win promotion to the championship.
    Let's hope we can do this this season and never have to play in it again.

Unless we get promoted and enter it ourselves as an U21 side.

I actually wouldn't be too opposed to that so long as it literally was just our U21's making up the bulk of each squad.

It's playing the likes of Holmes and Fosu and setting them up for potential unnecessary injuries is my issue with being in this competition while in League One. Send the kids to Swansea so we're an U21 team ourselves in all but name.
    That would require Category One academy status, which in turn means the training ground redevelopment being completed. Surely the competition will have been scrapped by then!
  • Options

Very harsh assessment imo. Parky has proved himself to be a very good third tier manager and has had some success in the second tier too.

There was almost nothing anyone could do the arrest the slide once Pardew left the building. We were an utter shambles (something like 2 senior CBs at the club) and I genuinely think even Mourinho would've struggled to keep us up.

Looking at the Swansea game you mention, are you remembering things right? We equalised in the 55th minute through Nicky Bailey, following which the subs were:
    So I was right a striker for a striker, a midfielder for a midfielder. Two strikers and who knows.
  • Options
    We are a league one team playing in a lower leagues tournament. While I'm not a fan of having u21s in this cup, I think as fans we should stop moaning and embrace it.
    We have a good opportunity to get to Wembley. Do non league and amateur supporters complain about the FA Vase and Trophy?
    I don't like playing in division three, but it is where we are.
  • Options
    I think people would complain if Northampton town u21s played in the trophy?
  • Options

So I was right a striker for a striker, a midfielder for a midfielder. Two strikers and who knows.
    When the two strikers would've been Chris Dickson and Deon Burton I think you begin to see the problem with playing two strikers away at a promotion chasing team...
  • Options
    For the 1-1 game, Bailey’s shot was deflected and shelvey I believe signed his professional contract earlier that week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

When ?????!!!!!

You see Le Tissier looks thrilled to be there,should of got Rod Stewart in
    Who's that with him?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

When will our game be played? Can't see it listed yet but a new ground for me so fancy it.

Apparently the club are running a 8 seater mini bus....3 of the people going are really fat, so only 2 seats left . Get in there before it sells out .
  • Options
    I just wish someone would decide once and for all whether is it under - 21 or under - 23? Seems to vary all the time!
  • Options
    What time does the supporter's coach leave? (Only kidding)
  • Options

I just wish someone would decide once and for all whether is it under - 21 or under - 23? Seems to vary all the time!

Definitely under 21 away fans there :smile:
  • Options
    Swansea's is in Wales ffs........how can they be classed as "South" . There should be a SW section, so teams like them, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth & Exeter can all play closer to home.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

186 Charlton new ground/ just so they can say they did.

Seen Charlton play at this ground .Best of luck if you are going lot of trouble last time out in and around pubs near station.

Think i will give this a miss this time around.
  • Options
    I remember now re all the trouble.
  • Options
    One man has been crowing about this since the draw

@The31YearMan thinks he’s the big hitter now, telling everyone about his intention to go.

I welcome all of you to belittle his efforts