Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Van Den Hauwe's Elbow

Comments

• I've always had the feeling that Konchesky's 26 minute red card in the season opener against Chelsea somehow changed his career, for the worse. He had started in central midfield and looked to me like he was shaping up well for it, when that happened. It was a preposterous decision. Forgotten the ref's name but he was the mate of Graham Poll, they made a DVD attempting to glorify themselves as hard men refereees.

Pilchards. I like that.

Whilst I am not aware of the DVD to which you refer, I do know that Graham' s best friend in refereeing circles was Paul Taylor, who spent many years on the football league list of refs. Could this be who you were referring to?
  • Following the jaw dropping penalty decision in last night's NI match, I was wracking my brains for comparable decisions in my 45 years of watching football. One of which was the elbow from the nasty VDH on Shaun Newton in '93. I had a quick look on Google and came up with this excerpt from his autobiography (I hope the link works?) https://books.google.pt/books?id=KIYxBwAAQBAJ&pg=PT133&lpg=PT133&dq=pat+van+den+hauwe+shaun+newton&source=bl&ots=xPF7fOA4J7&sig=-rXgSF3zqWl5VsBJvBAPySvtUck&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLsenv1LPXAhWCKlAKHd-dDnkQ6AEINDAF#v=onepage&q=pat van den hauwe shaun newton&f=false

Stay classy Pat...

Van Den Hauwe- major drugs and drink issues and three failed marriages behind him.

Newton - found guilty a couple of months ago of burglary committed when he was drunk and high on cocaine.

Fair to say neither are particularly "classy".
    I was referring to the football.
    And I wasn't having a dig. Just pointing out the irony of the perpetrator and victim of the incident in question having rather similar history post playing.
  • PvdH what a twunt
  • PeterGage said:

I've always had the feeling that Konchesky's 26 minute red card in the season opener against Chelsea somehow changed his career, for the worse. He had started in central midfield and looked to me like he was shaping up well for it, when that happened. It was a preposterous decision. Forgotten the ref's name but he was the mate of Graham Poll, they made a DVD attempting to glorify themselves as hard men refereees.

Pilchards. I like that.

Whilst I am not aware of the DVD to which you refer, I do know that Graham' s best friend in refereeing circles was Paul Taylor, who spent many years on the football league list of refs. Could this be who you were referring to?
    Uriah Rennie tried to put himself across as a hard man referee.

You'll probably think it was Aston Villa's Ian Taylor that received the red in this photo!
  • edited November 2017
    se9addick said:

And Van Hauwe came off The Ferrier Estate!

His mum and Dad lived there - I played pool In the hell hole pub (the wat Tyler) that used to be there, against him and Gavin Maguire - Maguire was ok but PVDH was Bit of a Billy big bollocks . Both were back from Morning training and in their club tracksuits. My friend (who was Millwall) and I won - probably the last time Charlton beat Millwall....even then I needed help from a spanner.
    I went to Thomas Tallis, even as a 16 year old I knew that even if I lived to 100 the Watt Tyler would be the worst pub I ever visited.
    This infamous Wat Tyler

imageimage

imageimageimageimage

Christ knows why it uploaded so many times. At least it will give people the chance to savour it in its full glory.
  • edited November 2017
  • Care to explain that any further, @Friend Or Defoe ?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Care to explain that any further, @Friend Or Defoe ?

He's not a referee to be messed with as Uriah is also a martial arts black belt.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/football/features/newsid_2940000/2940569.stm

Unless you meant to red card for constant elbows?!
  • Couple of good points there Ricky.
  • Sponsored links:

• My dad is obsessed with the match against Arsenal in 2006 where we lost 2-1. Van Persie tried to stamp all the way down into China via Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink's leg and somehow didn't get sent off for it. He then went on to score both their goals including what people reckon is one of the best Premier League goals ever, as we lost in a match where we'd played well and deserved at least a point. And we had a penalty appeal turned down. Really compounded our crap start under Dowie
  • PeterGage said:

I've always had the feeling that Konchesky's 26 minute red card in the season opener against Chelsea somehow changed his career, for the worse. He had started in central midfield and looked to me like he was shaping up well for it, when that happened. It was a preposterous decision. Forgotten the ref's name but he was the mate of Graham Poll, they made a DVD attempting to glorify themselves as hard men refereees.

Pilchards. I like that.

No it was Barber, as @Big William kindly reminded me
  • Fucking hell, I've been in a few rough pubs over the years, but the Wat Tyler looks horrific!
  • Couple of good points there Ricky.

I thought so!
  • The Barge Pole just edges the Wat Tyler.
  • The Barge Pole just edges the Wat Tyler.

Think the old Canterbury Arms on the Old Kent Road tops them both. Its not often I felt scared in a pub, but went in there with a couple of lads from college when I was about 18 and absolutely shit myself - one pint and out, and this was in the middle of the day during the week...
  • The Portabello West Kingsdown takes some beating!
  • Great pub
  • se9addick said:

And Van Hauwe came off The Ferrier Estate!

His mum and Dad lived there - I played pool In the hell hole pub (the wat Tyler) that used to be there, against him and Gavin Maguire - Maguire was ok but PVDH was Bit of a Billy big bollocks . Both were back from Morning training and in their club tracksuits. My friend (who was Millwall) and I won - probably the last time Charlton beat Millwall....even then I needed help from a spanner.
    I went to Thomas Tallis, even as a 16 year old I knew that even if I lived to 100 the Watt Tyler would be the worst pub I ever visited.
    This infamous Wat Tyler

imageimage

imageimageimageimage

Christ knows why it uploaded so many times. At least it will give people the chance to savour it in its full glory.
    These photos were taken two weeks after it opened!
    Boarded up to keep the riffraff out - no flasks, blankets or pencil cases allowed in there.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Portabello West Kingsdown takes some beating!

Agreed - no warm welcome for strangers there !!
  • eldavide said:

schumacher battiston Spain 82

That's the one. I heard Battiston showed his class by inviting Schumacher to his wedding.
  • Newton lost his way for quite a while after that elbow. He was shit scared to go near a defender.

The free kick in the Fulham game is still the angriest I have ever been with a refereeing decision at Charlton.
  • Few on here who no doubt remember the Wat Tyler well.
    As for the Ferrier, couldn't have asked for a better place to be brought up as a child
    As for the Ferrier, couldn't have asked for a better place to be brought up as a child

Loved that pub. Knew where you stood and a great learning curve for youngsters.
  • edited November 2017

Few on here who no doubt remember the Wat Tyler well.

You mean like a pwopa Millwall learning curve?
    A must to avoid then :smile:

You mean like a pwopa Millwall learning curve?
    A must to avoid then :smile:
    Pretty sure you got Charlton & that other lot in the Wat Tyler

Bet it was full of real hard men and boys training to be hard men. Must have been pwopa norty...
  • edited November 2017

Few on here who no doubt remember the Wat Tyler well.

Bet it was full of real hard men and boys training to be hard men. Must have been pwopa norty...
    Indeed it was. As has been pointed out previously, though, it wasn't a 'Wall pub. Just your normal(ish) mixture of a housing estates roughians, trainspotters included.

You're a pinkie out wine bar man(ish), aren't you? The usual type that shows disdain for your average working man, based on nothing other than generalisations and misconceptions. I say that as it's evidently not through knowledge. Very considerate and understanding of you.

Still, if it gave you a warm, fuzzy, feeling inside then that's all that matters, right?

Hate speech is never a good look, even when dressed up as banter.