Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

An evening with Alan Curbishley and Chris Powell - 27 November 2017 - Prostate Cancer UK

124»

Comments

• Just watched it on FB... utterly brilliant, really enjoyed that, it felt like we got a little more sentiment and context than in his book, talking about Curbs.

Feels so long ago when our club was a proper success.

Loved watching Curbs swear as well, lol.

• Great photo, @NomadicAddick, and good to see Carl's Colgate smile - though that reference is also before your time....

Was fortunate to meet AC, SCP and, a bonus, Carl Leaburn - Charlton heroes, all.
    Chatted to Carl about The Battle of Stamford Bridge, 7th May 1988 - a hugely important game for CAFC. When we were a proper football club...

We weren't a proper club when playing at Selhurst but I know what you mean with regards to other aspects of the club
  • DOUCHER said:

Great photo, @NomadicAddick, and good to see Carl's Colgate smile - though that reference is also before your time....

Was fortunate to meet AC, SCP and, a bonus, Carl Leaburn - Charlton heroes, all.
    Chatted to Carl about The Battle of Stamford Bridge, 7th May 1988 - a hugely important game for CAFC. When we were a proper football club...

We weren't a proper club when playing at Selhurst but I know what you mean with regards to other aspects of the club
    club
    /kləb/
    noun
    an association or organization dedicated to a particular interest or activity:

To me, that would suggest unity in its dedication to that particular interest and by that token, I would argue that we were MORE of a football club at that time.
  • Onlyme said:

I must say , it was a great night and this proves what a great club and fans we have . The paramedic was a Charlton supporter , he couldn’t believe what he had walked into . He Asked me to take some photos of him with his hero’s.

I assume he treated the ill guy first :smile:
    I'll get the defibrillator in a minute, can't you see I'm busy?! :)

• Looks like a great evening. Hope the chap that fell ill is on the mend.

I remember going up to Villa to watch Powell make his England debut, the late Ehiogu rose like a salmon to score our third. My mate also called Jamie Theakston a C*nt as he was waiting to come on at half time to play in a penalty shootout.

Good times and fond memories.
  • Just watched it at 4am during my insomnia hours. Thought it might send me back to sleep. No chance. I’ve not seen Curbs so animated. I bet they could’ve talked all night. Looks fab.

Did they hang around for a bit after?
  • Curb_It said:

Just watched it at 4am during my insomnia hours. Thought it might send me back to sleep. No chance. I’ve not seen Curbs so animated. I bet they could’ve talked all night. Looks fab.

Did they hang around for a bit after?

They did hang about to sign stuff and pose for photos. Chris Powell is an absolute diamond of a man as is Big Carl. I found Curbs to be a bit more aloof but still approachable enough. Nice touch that they both went to check on the chap who had the funny turn and glad to see that he was up and about when he left, it looked bad for a while there.
  • Just watched on FB, great stuff and a reminder why I love my club, I wish we could have those two back in charge under a new owner, c'mon its nearly Xmas, new owners, and Curbs and Powell in charge would be a great present for all Addicks.
    Also glad to hear that the fella who was tom n dick is Ok.
  • Greenie said:

Just watched on FB, great stuff and a reminder why I love my club, I wish we could have those two back in charge under a new owner, c'mon its nearly Xmas, new owners, and Curbs and Powell in charge would be a great present for all Addicks.

Agree that one day curbs and powell back involved would be brilliant, but i think KR has earnt himself the right to manage the club at this present point in time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Onlyme said:

I must say , it was a great night and this proves what a great club and fans we have . The paramedic was a Charlton supporter , he couldn’t believe what he had walked into . He Asked me to take some photos of him with his hero’s.

I hope he's having his picture taken after he's looked after the patient.
  • Greenie said:

Just watched on FB, great stuff and a reminder why I love my club, I wish we could have those two back in charge under a new owner, c'mon its nearly Xmas, new owners, and Curbs and Powell in charge would be a great present for all Addicks.

Agree that one day curbs and powell back involved would be brilliant, but i think KR has earnt himself the right to manage the club at this present point in time.
    I think, verbal diarrhoea aside, Robinson has proved that he is capable, with the right amount of backing, of building successful side. Where he differs from Curbs and Powell is that they both default to keeping it tight when necessary (as did Slade) where as Robinson tends to 'go for it' a little more. In a division where we are trying to nick points to stay up I think we need to be more defensive, in the third division I think we need to be going all out to win every game.

Based on what Robinson has achieved with the current owners I think he deserves a chance with someone that both wants and knows how to build a successful club.
  • Greenie said:

Ok then, if Curbs and Powell were offered the job tomorrow, would you prefer KR to stay?
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Ok then, if Curbs and Powell were offered the job tomorrow, would you prefer KR to stay?
    I think KR is more likely this season to get us promoted than if Powell and Curbs came in now. A team set up to play a different style of football to they are used to, no ability to play 4-4-2 (no strikers), a team built by KR to play KR football. In the long term yes CP and AC would more than likely lift us to a higher position but here and now KR is the man for the job.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I think KR is more likely this season to get us promoted than if Powell and Curbs came in now. A team set up to play a different style of football to they are used to, no ability to play 4-4-2 (no strikers), a team built by KR to play KR football. In the long term yes CP and AC would more than likely lift us to a higher position but here and now KR is the man for the job.
    Ok, fair enough mate......
  • We don’t have any reason to get rid of Karl at the moment, even if Curbs and Powell is available.
  • A good evening, a shame it was curtailed but glad to hear the guy is ok. Most of the talk was about Charlton and there were some emotional moments. Certainly the two biggest legends in my lifetime.
    Curbs and Powell did stay around but many of us felt we ought to get out of the crowded room to give the poor guy some space and air.

Shame for prostrate cancer people who organised the event. I suspect they didn't get as much in donations as people left quickly.

I'm sure they would have plugged sponsoring Powell in the London marathon again.
    Also looking for cyclists for the Amsterdam cycle ride in June. Apparently 25 people connected to Charlton, including Gary Nelson and Scott Minto doing it. Can Charlton be the club that raises the most money.

Apparently 1 in 8 males are affected and 1 in 4 black men. To put that into context almost 1,000 people who attend tonight's game could be affected!
  • Is there a continuation after the poor chap became ill or does it end there?
    It reminds me what this club is all about.
  • T_C_E said:

Is there a continuation after the poor chap became ill or does it end there?
    It reminds me what this club is all about.

It ended there.
  • Just watched the entire thing on the Facebook link. Loved every second of it. Brilliant stuff.

Glad to hear the guy is ok
  • Sponsored links:

• The link I see is only a minute long.

Have I missed something?

Looks like a great evening and glad it's raises awareness.

Such a pair of legends
  • Dave2l said:

The link I see is only a minute long.

Have I missed something?

Such a pair of legends

https://www.facebook.com/prostatecanceruk/videos/10156845880157589/
  • Dave2l said:

The link I see is only a minute long.

Have I missed something?

Such a pair of legends

https://www.facebook.com/prostatecanceruk/videos/10156845880157589/
    Thanks
  • In Mail today that Chris is joining Spurs scouting team.
  • Puts what we're doing now in perspective somewhat.