Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jay Dasilva

Comments

• Dasilva is in the team as a defender and half our fans forget that. He might be great going forward but he's certainly a very average defender - in a team like ours that needs a solid defender he's not ideal.

Anyway who has seen Chris Powell play knows what a good left back is - excellent positioning and composed on the ball in defence. Even at the end of his career he held his own.

Dasilva to me looks more suited to midfield - lacks the physical presence to be a top class defender.

It’s different eras and different styles. The FB styles of players like Powell and Bridge are dying out. When you see who are regarded the best FBs in the world, that’s all more of wing backs.

Agree that Dasilva has defensive learning to do but don’t agree about his physical presence. He’s a FB not a CB
  • Dasilva is in the team as a defender and half our fans forget that. He might be great going forward but he's certainly a very average defender - in a team like ours that needs a solid defender he's not ideal.

Anyway who has seen Chris Powell play knows what a good left back is - excellent positioning and composed on the ball in defence. Even at the end of his career he held his own.

Dasilva to me looks more suited to midfield - lacks the physical presence to be a top class defender.

It’s different eras and different styles. The FB styles of players like Powell and Bridge are dying out. When you see who are regarded the best FBs in the world, that’s all more of wing backs.

Agree that Dasilva has defensive learning to do but don’t agree about his physical presence. He’s a FB not a CB
    Has been targetted in several games due to his lack of physical presence - he is very small and that won't change. 5ft 5 inches and a relatively slight physique can prove a problem when he's up against some of the lumps in this division. He's not the greatest tackler either.

I think he's overrated - most of the praise is for his play going forward. I felt the same way about Rhoys Wiggins.

He is undoubtedly a very skilful player and has plenty of pace but for me his defensive limitations are too frequently ignored. Possibly he'd suit playing for a team where there were more ball players. He's suffered from having a lack of cover in front of him.

• I don't get the hype. He's decent and will probably have a long career but for our immediate and longer term needs, we should find a better fit in the summer.

To be honest i felt we were lucky to get him on loan again this season, he's way better than league one.

Only last summer he was captain of England U19s when they won the Euro's. You're mental if you think we'll get anyone better at our current level.
    So we can't rely on him to be a part of our team for the future? That's a major part of my reasoning why we need to look for a permanent replacement that can grow with us and be a long term part of a squad.

Dasilva is useful going forward and will probably turn out to be decent in years to come but he's not going to sign for Charlton on a permanent deal.

We should be looking to sign players in the summer that can make the step up after a promotion season. If Dasilva's current level is the Championship then at worst we'd be making a sideways step in quality. At best, we're adding a quality permanent piece to the squad rather than a loan body.
  • edited February 2018
    If you'd offered me a loaned Dasilva this season or the permanently contracted Wiggins of 11/12 then I'd take Wiggins every time.

There are players out there that we can sign in the summer that will adequately replace JDS.
  • I imagine that Chelsea would want him to try a higher level next season, maybe Championship or the Netherlands where they have a few out there already.

Has been targetted in several games due to his lack of physical presence - he is very small and that won't change. 5ft 5 inches and a relatively slight physique can prove a problem when he's up against some of the lumps in this division. He's not the greatest tackler either.

I think he's overrated - most of the praise is for his play going forward. I felt the same way about Rhoys Wiggins.

He is undoubtedly a very skilful player and has plenty of pace but for me his defensive limitations are too frequently ignored. Possibly he'd suit playing for a team where there were more ball players. He's suffered from having a lack of cover in front of him.

He has been targeted and IMO, has dealt with a lot of them. Of course he's not going to dominate in the air but the wingers he is facing aren't exactly Akinfenwa.

I think you have high standards if you are talking about Dasilva and Wiggins being overrated, they are probably the best 2 LB's we have had in the last decade.

I don't doubt we could do better than Dasilva if we had a lot of money to spend but let's be honest, it's hardly an area of concern.

He is more than good enough to be part of a League 1 promotion winning side. When you look at Solly on the other side, that is much more of a problem than Dasilva.
  • I don't get the hype. He's decent and will probably have a long career but for our immediate and longer term needs, we should find a better fit in the summer.

To be honest i felt we were lucky to get him on loan again this season, he's way better than league one.

Only last summer he was captain of England U19s when they won the Euro's. You're mental if you think we'll get anyone better at our current level.
    So we can't rely on him to be a part of our team for the future? That's a major part of my reasoning why we need to look for a permanent replacement that can grow with us and be a long term part of a squad.

Dasilva is useful going forward and will probably turn out to be decent in years to come but he's not going to sign for Charlton on a permanent deal.

We should be looking to sign players in the summer that can make the step up after a promotion season. If Dasilva's current level is the Championship then at worst we'd be making a sideways step in quality. At best, we're adding a quality permanent piece to the squad rather than a loan body.
    There is absolutely no problem with signings loan players as long as they are good enough, which includes having the right attitude/desire.

Even clubs in the Prem are signing loan players so I don't get your comments at all.

Yes under Powell we went out and bought a squad capable of going up, but I seem to remember some decent contributions from loanees too?

It's not going to be easy buying 7/8 quality players unless we have a fortune to spend. If we have say 3mil to spend, then signing someone like Dasilva on loan again will allow to spend that money elsewhere.
  • If Jay Dasilva wasnt doing well enough, Chelsea wouldnt have given him a new four deal in the summer
  • edited February 2018

If Jay Dasilva wasnt doing well enough, Chelsea wouldnt have given him a new four deal in the summer

And if he was the messiah, he'd already be in some of their squads let alone loaned to the Championship.

I've seen people say our season is over because he's injured or if we had two of him, we'd be top of the league. I don't agree with either of those statements.

He's been loaned to League One for a reason, I don't think he'd walk into a Championship team.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is Chelsea we're talking about... the only kid they're playing at that sort of age is that Ampadu they signed from Exeter who'd already been playing League football for a while.

Lewis Page is a good comparison, he's been out at League One from a Premier League side yet there is a laughable difference between the two of them.

Of course he's not yet as good as some Championship Left-Backs yet you've got to take his age into account.

As previously asked... Who would be a better option than him for us next season as can guarantee we wont have him!!
  • If Jay Dasilva wasnt doing well enough, Chelsea wouldnt have given him a new four deal in the summer

And if he was the messiah, he'd already be in some of their squads let alone loaned to the Championship.

I've seen people say our season is over because he's injured or if we had two of him, we'd be top of the league. I don't agree with either of those statements.

He's been loaned to League One for a reason, I don't think he'd walk into a Championship team.
    Another Dasilva wouldn't put us top of the league but we would be a better side with 2 of him down the left-side.

We don't need him to be a top championship player to be a good player for us
  • Sensational first touch, as well as his defensive qualities. I hope we see him again.
  • I expect he'll go out on loan again next season at a higher level, either the Championship or possibly abroad.
  • Da Silva is quality. Anyone who thinks otherwise imo is deluded. My favorite player in the team atm. I was more worried when he went limping off yesterday than the actual defeat itself.

Anyone see the skill he done second half? Sort of stopped the ball with his right foot then heeled it with his left past his man. Quality player

I have watched Dasilva closely on numerous occasions this season and defensively he has come up short in several games. He might be skilful but the game's about a bit more than that and rating a defender based on how skilful he is completely misses the point.

• Da Silva is quality. Anyone who thinks otherwise imo is deluded. My favorite player in the team atm. I was more worried when he went limping off yesterday than the actual defeat itself.

Anyone see the skill he done second half? Sort of stopped the ball with his right foot then heeled it with his left past his man. Quality player

I have watched Dasilva closely on numerous occasions this season and defensively he has come up short in several games. He might be skilful but the game's about a bit more than that and rating a defender based on how skilful he is completely misses the point.

Don't agree . He's a class player and defends really well; he's got a sensational first touch and exceptional balance
  • I think he's excellent - but would look even better in a back five where he would be allowed to go forward and also where he would have more cover at the back post. In fact, he would sit comfortably in the system adopted by Conte at his parent club.
  • Anyone see the skill he done second half? Sort of stopped the ball with his right foot then heeled it with his left past his man. Quality player

Unfortunately he would do that only to run straight into a group of opposing defenders and give the ball away. Infuriating at times.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think he's excellent - but would look even better in a back five where he would be allowed to go forward and also where he would have more cover at the back post. In fact, he would sit comfortably in the system adopted by Conte at his parent club.

Sounds a lot better than the player I've been watching.

not sure he's quite ready to play in a top Prem club, although I agree the style would suit him.

I don't want to go over the top on him but I cannot even see the point in discussing his value to the team. There's a few reasons we won't go up this season and Dasilva is not one of them.
  • By no means have I meant to suggest Dasilva is holding us back. He's been one of our better players this season.

But some people are going way over the top with their praise and/or reaction to his injury.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Unfortunately he would do that only to run straight into a group of opposing defenders and give the ball away. Infuriating at times.
    Pretty much sums up how I feel about him. Looks flashy and for the most part does his job well but often loses the ball in key areas.
  • I think Dasilva misses Holmes as the two of them linked up well down the left, and he hasn't really had a settled partnership since Holmes left

He's not perfect defensively, but he never goes missing, and his attitude can't be faulted.
  • If we had a clone of him at right back we'd be doing a lot better than we currently are
  • If we had a clone of him at right back we'd be doing a lot better than we currently are

I think it would make no difference whatsoever.

Agreed... we may have conceded a lot of late goals against Oxford / Doncaster / Bradford. But had the attacking players scored their chances, conceding a single goal (especially in the last two) wouldnt matter so much
  • Our goalscoring options are so limited, they bottle when it counts because there is so much pressure to score.

BTW Shrews had 4 shots on target as did we... creating good chances and converting those chances are our key problems.

Would definitely make a difference because Dasilva is a lot better than anything we have seen at RB this season