Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matej Delač

Matej Delač who is he i hear you ask

He is currently Chelsea's longest serving player and has been at the club 8 years.

In that time he has played zero games.

Finally he has said he may have to leave the club, its only taken him 8 years of loans and never playing for the club to realise they dont want him.

Comments

• I may be wrong but i don't think he can play for Chelsea even he wanted to/ he was good enough, never got a work permit i don't think
  • Bit weird why he could never get a work permit - he has loads of Croatian youth caps - when the similarly aged Marko Dmitrović was able to play for us, as he has just Serbian youth caps
  • As a Croatian, is he not now an EU citizen (admittedly, having joined in 2013, there may be restrictions still in place)?
  • Surely a good rule would be to limit the number of times a player can be loaned out.

First Loan is a case of the Youngster getting used to playing Senior Football
    Second Loan is a case of the Youngster proving whether he can hack it at a higher level

Third Loan is a case of the Youngster proving they can do it in the same League as the parent club (of course isnt applicable if that second loan was at a club who are in the same League at the time)

Once the criteria has been met the club will either have a choice; they can play the kid themselves (proof the loan has worked), they can let him rot in their reserves (value will go down) or they can sell them and give them a chance elsewhere.
  • Probably quite cheerful with himself. Signed for a big team as a young player in Croatia with associated payrise and reputation boost. Gets loans all over the place while he develops, and is likely on far more money in that time than he would have been if he'd stayed where he was. He's still only 25 which is young for a goalkeeper and just starting to play at a decent level, making it a perfect time to move if he wants to play. Chelsea get so much criticism for their loan policy but their players usually end up playing at a decent level. Works out for the players
  • The way football is going the top clubs will end up with about 200 players each and just loan them out to feeder clubs until they're ready to sell.
  • The way football is going the top clubs will end up with about 200 players each and just loan them out to feeder clubs until they're ready to sell.

Perhaps in future lower League clubs will be offered developing players on 2 year loan contracts?

• that's bonkers
  • that's bonkers

Of course it is, but with increasing financial struggle for lower League clubs they may even see it as a way towards their survival, especially if most of the wage bill is picked up by the parent club.

Remember, players can already be signed on 1-year loan contracts - sometime in the future, 2-year loans may prove to be the next step. It may be a better alternative than a Chelsea B side playing in League 2.

• probably made a million ...