Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nick Pope, the Premier League's outstanding keeper this season

Comments

• I think Karius will be Liverpools number 1 next season
  • I think it’s very well known that Arsenal are planning to purchase a goal keeper in the summer. Hopefully, they will go for a young English keeper.
  • JaShea99 said:

reserves said:

Congrats Nick Pope for your call up!

And some said he wasn't good enough for Charlton....

I’m as pleased as any Charlton fan for Pope and wish him the best, but I don’t understand why there are so many comments like this.

He wasn’t good enough for Charlton.
    How can you say that? He was always a terrific shot stopper and put in some great performances - but occasionally allowed a low shot to rebound off his chest when diving low to make a save.

But he'd overcome that by the time he came back into the side for the last 15 games, in a relegation bound team playing without belief - nevertheless, his own form was outstanding.

In the final game, we lost 3-0 home to Champions Burnley.
    Again Pope was outstanding.

There's no doubt in my mind that Burnley were impressed.
    And signed Pope on the basis of how they saw him play that day.
  • not sure if its been mentioned anywhere but do we get any further payments due to an England cap ??? we all know KM was a master at transfer negotiations......

I think you are being quite harsh on KM because she did negotiate a financial package with Burnley If Pope played for England.

For every 15 minutes he is on the pitch in an England shirt we have to pay Burnley £10k.

What a women!!
  • You youngsters may have heard us old gits reminisce about Nicky Johns.

Well there are similarities both in physical appearance (Pope is a lot taller though) and ability at making a brilliant reaction save.
  • not sure if its been mentioned anywhere but do we get any further payments due to an England cap ??? we all know KM was a master at transfer negotiations......

I think you are being quite harsh on KM because she did negotiate a financial package with Burnley If Pope played for England.

For every 15 minutes he is on the pitch in an England shirt we have to pay Burnley £10k.

What a women!!
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is a clause that says for every 15mins he plays for England; Roland helps himself to another £10k from the club
  • Sean Dyche has a big decision to make at the end of the season, because he will not be able to keep both Heaton & Pope. Especially, if Burnley reach the Europa league. I cant imagine either of them will be happy playing back up goal keeper for the next season.

If Burnley are in Europe next season, surely that would make it easier to keep both of them, as they'd have more games and could alternate them in different competitions?
  • Sean Dyche has a big decision to make at the end of the season, because he will not be able to keep both Heaton & Pope. Especially, if Burnley reach the Europa league. I cant imagine either of them will be happy playing back up goal keeper for the next season.

If Burnley are in Europe next season, surely that would make it easier to keep both of them, as they'd have more games and could alternate them in different competitions?

It will be a tough decision but I think Dyche will plump for the "safer" option of the more experienced Heaton, who was one of SD's first signings in the summer of 2013. Heaton is almost like a "right-hand man" for Dyche and club captain. On top of that a lot of his (Heaton's) family are based in the area.

Pope's rapid rise has been amazing considering he was No 3 last season. In the 3 matches Heaton missed, veteran Paul Robinson was preferred. Pope only got the cup games (a 1-0 League Cup defeat to Accrington Stanley). In the FA Cup he kept 3 clean sheets...3rd round Sunderland (a) 0-0; Sunderland (h) 2-0; 4th round Bristol City (h) 2-0. Heaton was preferred for the 5th round home tie against Lincoln and we lost 1-0. I was particularly impressed by Pope's display in the win against Bristol City - he pulled off two excellent saves when the game was goalless.

I'll be sad to see Pope go, but I think Heaton deserves Dyche's loyalty more and, at 31, Tom should have at least 3/4 more good seasons in him.
  • Know its not really relevant but just noticed that Nick Pope was 10-years old in 2002 and grew up in Soham.

Means he'd have been in the same year (potentially same Primary School) as Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman (the girls that Ian Huntley murdered)
  • Know its not really relevant but just noticed that Nick Pope was 10-years old in 2002 and grew up in Soham.

Means he'd have been in the same year (potentially same Primary School) as Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman (the girls that Ian Huntley murdered)

You feeling alright?
  • Sponsored links:

It will be a tough decision but I think Dyche will plump for the "safer" option of the more experienced Heaton, who was one of SD's first signings in the summer of 2013. Heaton is almost like a "right-hand man" for Dyche and club captain. On top of that a lot of his (Heaton's) family are based in the area.

Pope's rapid rise has been amazing considering he was No 3 last season. In the 3 matches Heaton missed, veteran Paul Robinson was preferred. Pope only got the cup games (a 1-0 League Cup defeat to Accrington Stanley). In the FA Cup he kept 3 clean sheets...3rd round Sunderland (a) 0-0; Sunderland (h) 2-0; 4th round Bristol City (h) 2-0. Heaton was preferred for the 5th round home tie against Lincoln and we lost 1-0. I was particularly impressed by Pope's display in the win against Bristol City - he pulled off two excellent saves when the game was goalless.

I'll be sad to see Pope go, but I think Heaton deserves Dyche's loyalty more and, at 31, Tom should have at least 3/4 more good seasons in him.
    Good to hear the Burnley perspective.
    It's evident from what you say that Heaton is the more experienced keeper.

But nevertheless, Pope is building his reputation and gaining that vital experience right now.

• You know Pope can get a bit nervous. If he's going to play for England, then yes, blood him now, rather than in a high pressure environment in Russia.

Didn’t realise how much I wanted to punch Joe Hart until now.
    I’ve said on here a few times but Pope’s clean-sheet record when on loan to York was better than Hart when he played for Shrewsbury.

• edited March 2018
    After mentioning Nick was a milkman once, the BBC sports clip just now highlighted that he came from non league football to the verge of an England keeper with no mention of Charlton in his progression. Have a word with your contacts at the Beeb @LouisMend :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• LouisMend said:

RedChaser said:

After mentioning Nick was a milkman once, the BBC sports clip just now highlighted that he came from non league football to the verge of an England keeper with no mention of Charlton in his progression. Have a word with your contacts at the Beeb @LouisMend :wink:

We were probably included in the bracket of non-league
    I'll set them up mate, you knock em in :wink: .
  • RedChaser said:

LouisMend said:

RedChaser said:

Could Louis Mend be the answer to our goal scoring problems?

• Oggy Red said:

RedChaser said:

LouisMend said:

RedChaser said:

Possibly he's got the height for a striker then again so has our very own Peter Crouch @ForeverAddickted but neither of them are spring chickens :wink:
  • edited March 2018
    Oggy Red said:

RedChaser said:

LouisMend said:

RedChaser said:

Seriously.... You want ANOTHER Palace Agent in our attacking line up?
  • edited March 2018
    Oggy Red said:

RedChaser said:

LouisMend said:

RedChaser said:

My goal scoring record was second to none in the 2012-13 Goals Elmers End five-a-side Division 5 season. 23 in 14 games. Sign me up.
  • LouisMend said:

Oggy Red said:

RedChaser said:

LouisMend said:

RedChaser said:

My goal scoring record was second to none in the 2012-13 Goals Elmers End five-a-side Division 5 season. 23 in 14 games. Sign me up.
    Elmers End? You're definitely Palace, Louis.
    Stripey Nigel infiltrator :smile:

PS: Seriously, 23 goals in 14 games?
    We're desperate enough, even though you've got a dubious background. Just sign on the dotted line.

• There are several positions that are problematical for Southgate. As the upcoming matches are only friendlies I cannot see any point in playing Hart for several reasons, mainly because at present he cannot even get into his club side and Southgate should already know all about him, the two goals Scotland scored against us should be enough.

I would rotate Pope, Pickford and Butland and give them at least 45 minutes over the upcoming friendlies that way he should be able to assess the keeper who is in the best form and looks the most comfortable. But Hart is a busted flush and shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Centre backs are a problem and where is the midfield creativity coming from? if he plays Jordan Henderson I am switching the TV off.
  • Southgates comments on Hart having vital international experience tells me he will be one of the 3 going to Russia.

I don't think he will play, but he'll be on the plane.

So one of Pope, Pickford & Butland will be left at home. imo
  • I would rotate Pope, Pickford and Butland and give them at least 45 minutes over the upcoming friendlies

Reckon thats why we've the four 'keepers... each will get 45mins against either Holland / Italy

The two that play against Italy will be more assured of a place in Russia than the two that face Holland, for me as Italy will be the tougher of the two opponents with those Goalkeepers having to perform better
  • Article at weekend on how Brentford get half a mill if Tarkovski plays a friendly and another if a competitive game. No similar deal for us or no source? Add-on for Pope could pay for Diarra to end of season.