Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KR on our new striker Naby Sarr

Comments

• Options

A good striker is someone who knows how to kick lumps out of the opposition players and get away with it. They are not afraid of getting stuck in or getting hurt, they know how to read the ball and make space for themselves and if the defender retaliates they get penalties.

I make a good striker as being someone who can put the ball in the net.
    Trouble is I don't think we have any who consistently do that (Magennis hasn't scored for us in his last six matches and just 14 in 55 for us ) hence the reliance on others in the team contributing in a meaningful way.
  • Options

A good striker is someone who knows how to kick lumps out of the opposition players and get away with it. They are not afraid of getting stuck in or getting hurt, they know how to read the ball and make space for themselves and if the defender retaliates they get penalties.

A ‘20 goals a season’ striker, that legendary player that everybody wants to sign, is effectively someone who only scores once every 175-180 minutes of play and that goal just takes seconds to get. A good striker is someone who brings a lot more to the team effort over the time he isn’t scoring a goal.
  • Options

Trouble is I don't think we have any who consistently do that (Magennis hasn't scored for us in his last six matches and just 14 in 55 for us ) hence the reliance on others in the team contributing in a meaningful way.
    Magennis may thrive a bit more from Marshall's crossing and Reeves' service. That's got to be the hope/expectation.
  • Options

A ‘20 goals a season’ striker, that legendary player that everybody wants to sign, is effectively someone who only scores once every 175-180 minutes of play and that goal just takes seconds to get. A good striker is someone who brings a lot more to the team effort over the time he isn’t scoring a goal.
    First one is a goalscorer, second is a good player.

I don't remember BWP or Bent kicking lumps out of opponents. Their games weren't about getting stuck in.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I don't remember BWP or Bent kicking lumps out of opponents. Their games weren't about getting stuck in.
    Didn’t BWP go about 20 games without scoring ? He was obviously doing something we all approved of to keep us on his side for so long.

We got relegated when Bent was the striker...his 20 or so goals obviously weren’t enough
  • Options

Scoham said:

Didn’t BWP go about 20 games without scoring ? He was obviously doing something we all approved of to keep us on his side for so long.

We got relegated when Bent was the striker...his 20 or so goals obviously weren’t enough
    He had scored plenty by that point, was still a threat and the team continued to win games, so of course fans were on side.

My point was more that whatever he offered away from scoring goals it wasn't kicking lumps out of opponents or getting stuck in.

Bent pretty much did all he could that season. We got relegated due to the poor managerial appointments, bad signings and other players under performing.
  • Options
    Even if KAG or Dodoo play as the lone striker, they can't replace the aerial and physical presence of Magennis.
    That's not the way they play.

Which is why Leon Best is being looked at - Robinson has already said that Best is playing in Friday's closed doors friendly v QPR.

Sarr is without doubt a physical presence, and also has very decent ability on the ball and good mobility.
    If he's been showing what he can do regularly in training, then you can understand why Robinson has been considering playing him in the lone striker/target man role.

Even if he missed a good chance in last night's game, at least he put himself in a goal scoring position.
    His physical presence would certainly be a handful for CB's which could result in knockdowns and opportunities for others.

But a lot depends on his mentality though. He's probably a defender for good reason.

• Options
    Magennis is in the team as a target man, a physical presence up front.

Obviously we want him to score plenty of goals as well, but his presence will also create space and chances for the excellent attacking midfielders in our team; between Holmes, Fosu, Marshall, Reeves and Clarke, we should score plenty of goals.
  • Options
    "... and people might laugh at me for saying this..."
    so what's new?
    actually passed the point where any of this drivel can be deemed humourous
    we were laughing at you
    but there's nothing funny about the state of the squad that NS is the least bad option for striker when JM is unavailable
    gobby's total lack of filter or common sense is sure to end up costing us
    if roly's still holding the purse strings in January (God forbid) KR's just scuppered any chance of adding any quality to the forward line
    Duffer Dodoo was a last minute "gots to get someone, anyone" signing and has been found out even against lower league oppostion - roly's gonna be liquidating all possible assets and if KR gets to spend a tenth of the proceeds he'll be lucky - so now he gives roly some kind of excuse to trouser even more of the player sales proceeds cos clearly y'know Sarr is obviously a striker -kerching!
    I've been having flashbacks of Phil Chapple's brief spell at number 9 in the early-mid 90's, he was tall, sort of alright in the air and Gritt & Curbs had cover at the back but were shorthanded up front - not pretty, after 30 odd minutes we'd stopped laughing at him - it was pitiful - plus ca change
    Increasingly Leon Best has to be the least worst option - oh ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Naby as a striker didn't even cross my mind when I wrote this a few days ago:

https://theninetytwo.net/single-post/2017/11/05/Charlton-Athletic---An-Early-Season-Review
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

Barrel well and truly scraped

Funny no one said that when we used to lump Sam Sodje up top.... Pretty sure we did it with another big strong player too can't remember who now.
    Yeah we did say that. I said it when Phil Chapple had a go and when Youds went up top in the Redfearn game at Wimbledon
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I genuinely can't believe that Sarr has gone from a useless centre back in almost everyone's eyes to a potential striker in 6 weeks !

Beckenbauer who can play up top might I add
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I genuinely can't believe that Sarr has gone from a useless centre back in almost everyone's eyes to a potential striker in 6 weeks !

It's a funny old game...

• Options
    Phillips seemed quite keen to stay up top too. Totally admire Sarr's determination to come back and prove himself after what seems to have been a confidence building loan in an environment more suited to him, lest we forget he was part of the relegated sqaud but nowhere near as bad as Bergdich etc - and probably better than Dodoo. There is a a decent footballer there, but certainly not a replacement for Josh and after the finish at the end not a striker, but if we need the infamous Plan B has to be a consideration - but certainly not permanent cover in KR'S favoured formation.
  • Options
    Let us be honest and admit that neither Joe Dodoo or KAG are strikers.
    Dodoo has scored some goals in his career but at Charlton he just isn’t doing the business and looks very very poor.
    Karlan Ahern Grant’s record speaks for itself. He looks short on confidence and in all honesty he must be playing on borrowed time. I would be surprised whether he would ever get another contract at Charlton.

By contrast Naby Sarr couldn’t do any worse than Dodoo or KAG. He his big and skillfull and if he is keen, then give him a chance. He might just surprise us.

• Options
    The tragedy of this thread is that it actually exists. We should not other than in dire dire emergency be needing to have a centre half playing in attack.

Just fund the squad adequately you moron Duchatelet and sell the club.
  • Options

:heart: Naby :heart:

Did we ever decide if it’s pronounced Nabby or Nay-be?

Like, Naby, Naby, Naby OHHHH

You’re a super Sarr that is what you are.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

:heart: Naby :heart:

Did we ever decide if it’s pronounced Nabby or Nay-be?

Like, Naby, Naby, Naby OHHHH

You’re a super Sarr that is what you are.

Oh, Naby, Naby
    We shouldn't have let you go
    But every time you started

Oh, Naby, Naby
    We conceded loads of goals
    That left us broken hearted

Show us just how good you can be
    Come on, Naby,
    'Cause we need to know now, oh, because...

We need a striker, desperately (and we)
    We must confess, we don't believe (in Dodoo)
    So when it's one-nil and we're losing
    Maybe it's fine
    Hit big Naby, long ball time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are those who claimed Mag would have 20 this season finally waking up? Might hit 10. Maybe.
  • Options

Are those who claimed Mag would have 20 this season finally waking up? Might hit 10. Maybe.

He did last season in a weaker side, he should get at least 10.
  • Options

Provided everyone chips in with a good few and get us promoted I dont really care how many one player gets us
  • Options
    Fosu on track for 20. Scored 7 league goals this 1/3.
  • Options

Lineker was a great striker but never kicked anyone. Ian Rush too.
  • Options

Provided everyone chips in with a good few and get us promoted I dont really care how many one player gets us
    That's the thing with 4-2-3-1....it's about the front four getting goals (plus JFC can get a few too).
  • Options

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point and think it's valid.

The point about BWP isn't valid because he played alongside someone who could put themselves about.

A striker like Victor Anichebe, with the attributes you mentioned, isn't going to get us promoted. It's all well and good putting yourselves about and kicking the shit out of the opposition, but you get 3 points for scoring more goals than the opposition and not who's got the least bruises.
  • Options
    I trust Gobby has now used his quota of stupid ideas for the season.