Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KR on our new striker Naby Sarr

Comments

• Options

Might it not have been an idea, if Robinson believes that there is mileage in this, to have played Sarr up front last night? I would have though that this was exactly the type of competition to experiment like that.

He did put him up front towards the end.
  • Options
    Eddie Youds upfront vs Wimbledon at Selhurst on Boxing Day many moons back....no fit strikers that day....didn't work then either....
  • Options
    Think Blackburn used Chris Samba for about 10 games in a row up front. He did alright and chipped in with a few goals
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

redman said:

Just what we want in a striker! very polite, very well mannered. Never scores but heyho

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but hey ho!
    I thought cliches were...
  • Options
    For all of us senior lifers that watched us in the sixties.
    Do you remember when we started with our centre half Frank Haydock up front.
    Only on a few occassions when Firmani was injured; however, generally did very well.
  • Options

Might it not have been an idea, if Robinson believes that there is mileage in this, to have played Sarr up front last night? I would have though that this was exactly the type of competition to experiment like that.

Maybe he'll do that in the friendly with QPR on Friday?
  • Options

Think Blackburn used Chris Samba for about 10 games in a row up front. He did alright and chipped in with a few goals

And Danny Butterfield for Palace did ok with his hat-trick!
  • Options
    Wasn't JM a goalkeeper before moving up front when he was younger?

• Options
    Pretty sure there isn't much in it, he will only be played there as a last minute try to grab a goal/winner. Doubt very much he will be starting him above Dodoo or AHG, probably just a joke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pettgra said:

Only on a few occassions when Firmani was injured; however, generally did very well.

Yes I remember that, he was a decent footballer. I also remember King Arthur Horsfield alternating between centre half and centre forward. Dave Shipperley also used to go upfront if we were losing.
  • Options
    At The Bromley Addicks meeting Robinson said Sarr shines in 5-a-side, which surprised many I expect. Would add to the potential striker argument i.e. not just a big lump.

I'd start him in a game or two to see how he gets on.
  • Options
    As I've commented elsewhere, for KR to talk up the idea of Sarr going up front shows what he thinks of Dodoo and KAG as striking options...
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

pettgra said:

Yes I remember that, he was a decent footballer. I also remember King Arthur Horsfield alternating between centre half and centre forward. Dave Shipperley also used to go upfront if we were losing.
    King Arthur, how could I have forgotten him. He was very decent at centre half
  • Options
    To be honest - it looks as if Robinson is trying his best with what he has been dealt with. Can't help but think the owners are to blame for this one (as per). Doodo is not good enough.
  • Options
    This is straight out of the Duchatelet "surely the keeper, who's been standing there all game, should come and run outfield in the last bit of the game when all the players are tired and he's not?" school of thinking
  • Options
    Matt Taylor (that's our former player and not to be confused with any of the other imposters with the same name) was a goalkeeper in the Everton U17 academy and played in that position in Non League until he was in to his early 20s in that position.
  • Options
    I suspect that Robinson is putting this idea out there in order to put pressure on Meire to devote a bit of time and attention to bringing in a decent striker on a permanent deal or loan in January. Putting Sarr up top in the last few minutes I can understand, but for a team with promotion ambitions to be regarding this as a viable tactical option is ludicrous.

But, then again, leaving us with only big Josh as a serious striker is equally ludicrous, but it happened. They're a joke.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I suspect that Robinson is putting this idea out there in order to put pressure on Meire to devote a bit of time and attention to bringing in a decent striker on a permanent deal or loan in January. Putting Sarr up top in the last few minutes I can understand, but for a team with promotion ambitions to be regarding this as a viable tactical option is ludicrous.

But, then again, leaving us with only big Josh as a serious striker is equally ludicrous, but it happened. They're a joke.

Not having decent cover for Josh was a massive cockup. But for the time being, KR has to get on with it, we can do nothing until January, so it's worth exploring different options.

It's not as if we're the only club who are missing a striker, Palace and Everton spring to mind!
  • Options

Eddie Youds upfront vs Wimbledon at Selhurst on Boxing Day many moons back....no fit strikers that day....didn't work then either....

Paul Went didn't do a bad job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is it also not possible that KR has obviously taken a real liking to the young man and is looking for ways to get him some more minutes. This will be even more of an issue when JP returns, although I guess that Konsa's probable departure will leave some space.
  • Options
    Michael Morrison stayed up front at Yeovil that Boxing Day when we won 3-2, for more than 20 mins. It worked . But I think it was a tactical one-off. Seemed to me that SCP thought " we can overwhelm this lot" . I don't think he would have tried it at either of the Sheffield clubs.
  • Options

I remember Gary Doherty going up front for Spurs in that FA cup match when we were 2-0 up (I think)......totally changed the game.

What an awful night that was. Pretty sure it was the first time a club was given the whole Jimmy Seed Stand.

• Options
    Nothing wrong with throwing a centre back up top for a bit when youre chasing a game. Can cause chaos for opposing defenders. It’s not a solution though. It’s a tactic.
  • Options
    A good striker is someone who knows how to kick lumps out of the opposition players and get away with it. They are not afraid of getting stuck in or getting hurt, they know how to read the ball and make space for themselves and if the defender retaliates they get penalties.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

don't think putting pressure on Meire will help ;-)))

• Options

A good striker is someone who knows how to kick lumps out of the opposition players and get away with it. They are not afraid of getting stuck in or getting hurt, they know how to read the ball and make space for themselves and if the defender retaliates they get penalties.

Whats a penalty?
  • Options

Whats a penalty?
    Now you mention it, have we had one this season ?
  • Options

Whats a penalty?
    Now you mention it, have we had one this season ?
    Last one we had (if my memory is right) is the one Forster-Caskey missed at the end of last season against Chesterfield (?)