Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Murray

1235»

Comments

• Options

Murray broke down in tears and was overcome by emotion at the end apparently.

So much for taking the easy retirement. What a sportsman. He is clearly leaving nothing on the table.

Read something the other day that two of our greatest sportsmen, Andy Murray and Lewis Hamilton, are also our most hated.

Our attitude towards what it takes to win in this country beggars belief sometimes.

Ours? Murray is Scotland’s mate.

I respect him of course, like any winner, but personally never want him to win.
    So 'we' still haven't had a Wimbledon men's winner since Fred Perry and Henry 8th?
    NO we have had a Scotsman win. But not an Englishman.

Murray has also gone on record that says he dislikes the English.

So he is disliked but a lot of the English.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I actually respect Andy Murray for saying he hoped England lost at football. He isn't trying desperately to be liked he has worked his bollocks off to compete at the top level of a pretty isolating sport. He isn't trying to sell tickets, and he has never said he doesn't like English people. He said what loads of jocks say and they mean it, they want England to lose. Doesn't mean they hate all English people! Or maybe it does, either way I'm not bothered

I admire and like Andy Murray he's done incredibly well to achieve what he has considering when all we (as British people) have had for years is Jeremy Bates lucking his way to a quarter final, a borrowed Canadian in Rusedski and Henman. Murray has been competing at the very top for years now and you can see he leaves everything on the court and always has done.

Joe Calzaghe was Italian-welsh and had massive support in England. Lennox Lewis is a odd one, born in West Ham, speaks with a crazy Atlantic-caribbean accent yet I'm proud of him for being one of the best heavyweights ever and embracing being British.

I won't knock Andy Murray for being Scottish (when he loses) or British when he wins. Rather him than some chirpy home counties posho who hasn't got the desire or arsehole to go beyond the 3rd round

Well said! I dont get involved with this british/scottish drama, we all know he is Scottish. I am happy to support him as a British player win or lose
  • Options
    Is Murray’s wife Scottish or English ?
  • Options
    Murray was joking, it was banter between him and Henman
  • Options

So much for taking the easy retirement. What a sportsman. He is clearly leaving nothing on the table.

Read something the other day that two of our greatest sportsmen, Andy Murray and Lewis Hamilton, are also our most hated.

Our attitude towards what it takes to win in this country beggars belief sometimes.

So 'we' still haven't had a Wimbledon men's winner since Fred Perry and Henry 8th?

Fucking pathetic.
    But true!
  • Options

Fucking pathetic.
    But true!
    No. Just pathetic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Scottish, school sweethearts I think
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Kim Sears, as was, is English. Born in Sussex.
  • Options

He never went on record to say he hated the English. He said he supported whomever England played as a joke after Henman had taken the mickey for Scotland not reaching the world cup in an interview.

The irony of you acting the very way that you hate him for is no doubt completely lost on you.
    Honesty the amount of times I’ve had to explain this to people is frightening.

There are plenty that don’t want England to win, and rightly so if you’re from another country, but what Murray said was definitely a jokey reaction to someone already taking the piss.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I like Murray, a fantastic athlete, with superb mental strength, an absolute role model for any kid wanting to be a sportsperson.
    Also the small matter of a gold medal Olympian, first Wimbledon champion since 1936. Worlds number one for 2 years?
    So he said that he wants England to lose at football, and so he should, he's Scottish. I want Scotland/Wales and Ireland to lose at football because I'm English.
    It cracks me up when you get grown men having a pop at hime for doing/saying what is expected.
    If you want to have a pop at him, try the fact that he comes across as boring in interviews, but then again I dont suppose he gives a fuck.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Greenie said:

I like Murray, a fantastic athlete, with superb mental strength, an absolute role model for any kid wanting to be a sportsperson.
    Also the small matter of a gold medal Olympian, first Wimbledon champion since 1936. Worlds number one for 2 years?
    So he said that he wants England to lose at football, and so he should, he's Scottish. I want Scotland/Wales and Ireland to lose at football because I'm English.
    It cracks me up when you get grown men having a pop at hime for doing/saying what is expected.
    If you want to have a pop at him, try the fact that he comes across as boring in interviews, but then again I dont suppose he gives a fuck.

But only in interviews. If you follow him on social media then you'll see he has a great sense of humour, takes the piss out of himself etc.

Really like him.
    Exactly mate, its really clutching at straws for people who need a reason to hate.
  • Options
    I didn't used to like him, not because of the 'anyone playing England' comment but because when he was younger he was boring, sulky, and stroppy.

But he's grown up a lot, he's very likeable now I think - doesn't take himself as seriously, is more gracious in defeat, and has a very good dry sense of humour.

• Options
    I will say his mum, on Absolute radio had me in tears of laughter when she was talking to an impressionist of her son. The two of us who were in the vehicle at the time made Judy Murray up to be one of the nations heroines
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Kim Sears, as was, is English. Born in Sussex.
    Well I never knew that

Fuck knows why I thought they met at school
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn’t say I knock him, or don’t respect him.

I simply always want him to lose, like I do any Scot in any sport. That’s not pathetic. He may or may not have meant it when he said he supports whoever England play. Hopefully he did, I’d expect him to and respect him for it. It’s sporting rivalry.

Equally I will always support whoever Scotland are playing or whoever a Scot is playing. It’s in-built in me. I’m a patriotic Englishman and I’ve been to enough Eng v Scot fixtures to detest them in a sporting context.

He has the last laugh more often than not though, as he’s fucking good.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Riviera said:

Pulled out of the 1/4 final and the next tournament he was due to play. Basically knackered.

Interestingly a few people on twitter saying the tears were because he was limping towards the end of his last match and he knew them that he might not fully recover
    He wasn’t just crying, he was sobbing uncontrollably out loud for fully two minutes, seemingly broken hearted and distraught.
    Something very very serious going on there, the likes of which I have never seen from a professional sportsman.
    Found myself with tears in my eyes just watching him in such distress.
    Realise there’s a new thread but thought I’d resurrect my post from a few months back. I knew he was finished there and then.
    Please use Rivieras thread for ongoing comments.

• Options

Great gesture from Murray here:

Andy Murray says watching images of children suffering in Ukraine prompted him to donate his prize money for the rest of the year to those in need. The British former world number one is working with Unicef to provide medical supplies and development kits.

"The stories, the footage, the images that everyone around the world has seen have been brutal," said Murray, 34.

"I can't imagine what it must be like having to live through that. I obviously have children myself, and when I see kids suffering, I find that especially difficult to watch."

Murray, who is an ambassador for Unicef UK, told BBC Sport: "You feel kind of helpless, but that's the best way that I can help - to draw attention to it, and to try and raise as much money as I can. Hopefully that will help kids with their education and getting clean water and psychological support."

What a fantastic gesture.👍
  • Options
    Well done Sir Andy. British legend.
  • Options
    Always talks sense. Huge respect for him.
  • Options
    Brilliant gesture. Lets hope he earns a decent amount of money, both for the cause and because I want to see him competitive again
  • Options
    Good lad! 👏👏
  • Options
    I keep forgetting he's younger than me ffs
  • Options
    Brilliant. Good man.