Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Murray

Comments

• Options
    Not ever, that's bollocks but definitely the best British tennis player since Fred Perry. Very sad if this is the end for him, especially as there is no one dominating at the moment and he could have won a few more majors.
  • Options
    Very sad, and clearly Murray has been desperate not to have an operation.

Without his mobility, he can still be a great doubles player if he wants it
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Not ever, that's bollocks but definitely the best British tennis player since Fred Perry. Very sad if this is the end for him, especially as there is no one dominating at the moment and he could have won a few more majors.

Sorry, u talking to me? (lol)

Who's a greater sportsman? Bobby Charlton/Moore?

Er, Bradley Wiggins? Steve Redgrave? Chris Froome?

Cricket guys? Ian Botham?

I rest my case. (And I did say 'possibly').
  • Options
    Exiled_Addick got it spot on and there is no need to say more one of our all time greats and a very decent man. Cannot understand those who post saying they don't like him etc. Jeez we have some right blankets on this site at times
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/42602401

He kept it quiet, but has already had hip surgery in Australia (I'm sure it was said that he was coming straight home from Brisbane). He seems optimistic of getting back to a decent level
  • Options

He seems optimistic of getting back to a decent level

To be fair to him he's battled throughout his whole career to achieve the success that he's won

His career might still be over but reckon he's that type who wont ever give in returning to the top until he does decide to retire
  • Options

It's easy to take someone like Murray for granted. Yes he's had his rewards both in terms of trophies and financially but boy would if he had to make sacrifices especially when growing up in a foreign country without family and friends.

Wish him all the best on and off the court.

Yes, as someone growing up in an era when a British player reaching the second week of Wimbledon would be front page news, it's easy to forget what British tennis used to be like and will possibly revert to unless other like Edmund step up.
    I reckon it will... Don't see Edmund as being quite able to raise his game enough

Maybe be as good as Henman - Probably see him as a slight step down
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's no one looks like threatening top 10 at the moment. Possibly if AM takes up coaching in 10 years or so we might see a young contender.
  • Options
    I'm surprised there are people who still dislike the guy. I mean I used to when he made that comment about England but how long ago was that now? What he has achieved is phenomenal and add to that always comes across as humble and can have a laugh at himself.
  • Options
    From what he's been saying, even when he was resting his injury, he was still training a lot. This injury has been badly handled really, he either should have had complete rest or had the operation sooner.

He's been Charltonised.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

There's no one looks like threatening top 10 at the moment. Possibly if AM takes up coaching in 10 years or so we might see a young contender.

I guess it depends on how long he plays for but will be surprised if he takes 10-years to start coaching someone... He's already got some scheme going to discover kids across all sports and to ensure they get the correct mentoring.

In addition he's already been mentoring Edmund to an extent, inviting him out to Miami for the winter training sessions and then advising him to go do his own thing when he felt he was ready
  • Options

It's easy to take someone like Murray for granted. Yes he's had his rewards both in terms of trophies and financially but boy would if he had to make sacrifices especially when growing up in a foreign country without family and friends.

Wish him all the best on and off the court.

Yes, as someone growing up in an era when a British player reaching the second week of Wimbledon would be front page news, it's easy to forget what British tennis used to be like and will possibly revert to unless other like Edmund step up.
    I reckon it will... Don't see Edmund as being quite able to raise his game enough

Maybe be as good as Henman - Probably see him as a slight step down
    Murray is (was) better than Henman but Tiger Tim did get as high as 4 in the world and was good enough to reach the semi finals of all 4 grand slams.

I would put Henman at 3 after Murray and Perry in my list of best all time British players.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Sorry that was a bit rude of me.
    In my opinion he is not enough of a winner, he has lost a lot more finals than he has won.

Daley Thompson, Mo Farah.

Nick Faldo
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

George Digweed

• Options

JamesSeed said:

In my opinion he is not enough of a winner, he has lost a lot more finals than he has won.

Nick Faldo
    I would imagine that they have all lost (not finished first) in more of the finals they have appeared in than won?
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Nick Faldo
    Nick Faldo lost more tournaments than he won.
  • Options
    5-2 up against Kyrgios first set
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh its nice to see him back!!
  • Options
    Murray takes the first set 6-2 against Kyrgios at Queens Club.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Murray takes the first set 6-2 against Kyrgios at Queens Club.

Glad to hear it, I do hope he makes a full recovery.
  • Options
    Like a testimonial game. Can't see him winning this match
  • Options
    Kyrgios has broken Murray and is 3-2 up in the second.

The result is unimportant really other than pride. It's all about how Murray copes physically and any subsequent reaction with his hip.
  • Options
    Murray 6-5 up second set back with serve.
  • Options
    Kyrgios won the tie break 1-1 in the third.

Definitely a good test for Murray.
  • Options
    Murray lost
  • Options
    Shame that he lost. The surprising thing is that he nearly won after a year out. Brilliant first game. Looking forward to the rest of the tennis season a bit more now, especially since Edmund stepped up.
  • Options
    Decent performance after so long out, and probably got more out of a decent 3 setter than he would've done from an easy win against a no hoper.

Said afterwards though that he still isn't sure if he'll play at Wimbledon yet. Needs to see how his body feels in the next couple of days and then might play Eastbourne or an exhibition tournament.