Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One postponements

Checking the fixtures for this weekend, slightly surprised to see that 4 matches in L1 are off, that's 1/3 of the fixtures! As well as our match

Blackburn Rovers vs Walsall
Rochdale vs Wigan
Southend vs Oldham

Have also been postponed, so our fixture backlog in relation to most of our main rivals won't be as bad as I expected.

Comments

• all well and good having postponed matches and games in hand providing you win them, although i think its easier to get into a rut over the course of a week so 2 tuesday matches sandwiches with a saturday game could be 9 points dropped v quickly
  • Checking the fixtures for this weekend, slightly surprised to see that 4 matches in L1 are off, that's 1/3 of the fixtures! As well as our match Blackburn Rovers vs Walsall Rochdale vs Wigan Southend vs Oldham Have also been postponed, so our fixture backlog in relation to most of our main rivals won't be as bad as I expected.
    Three of those six sides from 2017 are now in the National League. Let's hope we don't add to that list. I doubt fans of those three clubs thought it would happen to them. 
  • It is perfect timing for us IMO. Gives us time to intigrate new arrivals and get players fit/fitter.
  • For those worrying that postponements may cause us a match backlog, this weekend just TWO games in L1 will actually take place.

The only games on are Exeter vs Orient, and Stevenage vs Carlisle.

It's getting to the stage where the EFL need to consider whether L1 needs to totally stop for the international break, rather than the current situation of fans being unsure whether to buy tickets, train tickets in advance etc. Maybe play EFL Trophy games on the international break Saturdays in autumn?

much better idea
  • For those worrying that postponements may cause us a match backlog, this weekend just TWO games in L1 will actually take place.

It's getting to the stage where the EFL need to consider whether L1 needs to totally stop for the international break, rather than the current situation of fans being unsure whether to buy tickets, train tickets in advance etc. Maybe play EFL Trophy games on the international break Saturdays in autumn?

much better idea
    Not when they're often drawn to play L2 sides in the group phase.

much better idea
    I also think that the First Round of the Carling Cup could be played the weekend before the League season.
  • Yeah they need to change the rules. I'm sure just making a couple more Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday weeks would cover it, and scrapping the pointless EFL Trophy, or making it a straight knockout tournament
  • edited September 2023
    sam3110 said:
    Yeah they need to change the rules. I'm sure just making a couple more Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday weeks would cover it, and scrapping the pointless EFL Trophy, or making it a straight knockout tournament
    The EFL Trophy format provides an opportunity for squad players to get some game time at the beginning of the season and also provides a chance for youth players to have a stepping stone to get experience of playing for the first team. Changing that format would be self-defeating for teams like Charlton that have used it well given the number of players we get coming through the ranks 
  • sam3110 said:
    Yeah they need to change the rules. I'm sure just making a couple more Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday weeks would cover it, and scrapping the pointless EFL Trophy, or making it a straight knockout tournament
    The EFL Trophy format provides an opportunity for squad players to get some game time at the beginning of the season and also provides a chance for youth players to have a stepping stone to get experience of playing for the first team. Changing that format would be self-defeating for teams like Charlton that have used it well given the number of players we get coming through the ranks 
    I mean I'd rather be in the Championship so we don't have to worry about it at all to be honest. Plenty of under games for the guys to play in, and wouldn't then stretch the squad thin and having fixtures pile up by having to find the time and players for the extra games
  • Sponsored links:

And three of those four sides were League 2 last season as well, so it would be expected that they’d be less likely to have international players barring big squad overhauls.

I like the idea of bringing the EFL Trophy matches into the international break weekends. Although the Prem clubs would probably stop that happening, all their kids will be off playing for their country’s U18/U21 sides.
  • Richard J said:
    For those worrying that postponements may cause us a match backlog, this weekend just TWO games in L1 will actually take place.

much better idea
    I also think that the First Round of the Carling Cup could be played the weekend before the League season.
    I’m pretty sure they used to do that for a period a long time ago. I recall that in early August 1980 (the Mike Bailey promotion season), we lost 3-1 at Brentford in the first leg on the Saturday and beat them 5-0 in the second leg at The Valley three days later, with a Paul Walsh hat-trick. 

We also played Swindon before the start of the league season when football resumed after Covid (minus the fans) but that was all to do with the concertinaed 20/21 season.
  • Checking the fixtures for this weekend, slightly surprised to see that 4 matches in L1 are off, that's 1/3 of the fixtures! As well as our match Blackburn Rovers vs Walsall Rochdale vs Wigan Southend vs Oldham Have also been postponed, so our fixture backlog in relation to most of our main rivals won't be as bad as I expected.
    Three of those six sides from 2017 are now in the National League. Let's hope we don't add to that list. I doubt fans of those three clubs thought it would happen to them. 
    That’s a good spot - and shows how quickly fortunes can change. This break can only be a good thing for us - some time to get the defence sorted and Leaburn back to full fitness 
  • Blucher said:
    Richard J said:
    For those worrying that postponements may cause us a match backlog, this weekend just TWO games in L1 will actually take place.

much better idea
    I’m pretty sure they used to do that for a period a long time ago. I recall that in early August 1980 (the Mike Bailey promotion season), we lost 3-1 at Brentford in the first leg on the Saturday and beat them 5-0 in the second leg at The Valley three days later, with a Paul Walsh hat-trick. 

We also played Swindon before the start of the league season when football resumed after Covid (minus the fans) but that was all to do with the concertinaed 20/21 season.
    I think that was my first away game that I went by myself.