Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England news for Germany and Brazil games

Comments

• Options
    Butland out of the squad as he broke a finger in training today. Pickford will now make his England debut against Germany.

Got to feel for Butland, was in line to be our number 1 going into the Euro’s and done his ankle in the friendly against Germany, now a chance to show what he can do, he is out again with another broken bone, just before the Germany game.
  • Options
    Yes, terrible timing for him.

Not such a loss for England as we're strong in that position, indeed both Hart and Pickford have been making a lot more saves than either West Ham or Everton would have been expecting!
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Ross said:

Did I say Shelvey was world class?

No.

What I said was that if he was from another country he would probably be called world class because everyone seems to overhype foreign footballers.

Isco, Asensio, Dybala have been turning in performances that Shelvey could only dream of, and none of them are yet classed as World Class.
    Dybala has to be close. Ditto Isco. His performance against Italy as a false 9 was a pleasure to watch. When he was taken off I stood up on my living room and gave him a standing ovation.

Just because you haven't heard of foreign players or haven't seen them play doesn't mean they're rubbish (not you VG, the original poster).
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The real question is Shelvey world class?
  • Options
    Sage said:

Butland out of the squad as he broke a finger in training today. Pickford will now make his England debut against Germany.

Got to feel for Butland, was in line to be our number 1 going into the Euro’s and done his ankle in the friendly against Germany, now a chance to show what he can do, he is out again with another broken bone, just before the Germany game.

I really don't think he was going to be the number 1 at the Euros. He was competing for the #2 spot.

I think his distribution isn't great, and it's not going to get any better at Stoke. Mark Hughes, with all of the Abu Dhabi money, bought Shay Given, one of the worst kickers of the ball I've seen in the top flight, and someone who never came for crosses.

Pickford still looks dodgy under a high ball, and he made some mistakes playing the ball out at the U-21 Euros. Listening to those who know far more than I do, it sounds like he has bags of potential, and his shot stopping ability is undeniable. But, despite having a lot of flaws, I think it's Joe Hart's to lose. Hart is used to playing in top teams where he's only called upon to make saves 2-3 times a game. Yes, he had a poor year by all accounts at Torino on top of a poor Euros, but he's not a terrible keeper. I think this is the case of grass is greener, which often seems to be the way with England goalkeepers.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Sage said:

I really don't think he was going to be the number 1 at the Euros. He was competing for the #2 spot.

I think his distribution isn't great, and it's not going to get any better at Stoke. Mark Hughes, with all of the Abu Dhabi money, bought Shay Given, one of the worst kickers of the ball I've seen in the top flight, and someone who never came for crosses.

Pickford still looks dodgy under a high ball, and he made some mistakes playing the ball out at the U-21 Euros. Listening to those who know far more than I do, it sounds like he has bags of potential, and his shot stopping ability is undeniable. But, despite having a lot of flaws, I think it's Joe Hart's to lose. Hart is used to playing in top teams where he's only called upon to make saves 2-3 times a game. Yes, he had a poor year by all accounts at Torino on top of a poor Euros, but he's not a terrible keeper. I think this is the case of grass is greener, which often seems to be the way with England goalkeepers.
    Not this season though!

Indeed none of the England candidates are in the type of team which will dominate opposition, and concede few chances
  • Options
    Da Silva is to good for league one.
    But not good enough for Chelsea.
    So next season he gets loaned out to a championship side.

Charlton
  • Options

Da Silva is to good for league one.
    But not good enough for Chelsea.
    So next season he gets loaned out to a championship side.

Charlton

And in 2 seasons time Chelsea will want to loan him to a PL side

Ch...Stoke City
  • Options
    Tammy Abraham starting - had a wager on him 1st goal. That’s money I won’t see again!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/18804/11122236/pick-your-england-xi-to-face-brazil-at-wembley?participants=109742-106946-103688-130370-15830-106603-133545-1813-108897-143810-142056&formation=3412#32854d3a2e403498b1d3fe05e0a13675

Don't know if this will show up but this is who I think Southgate will play tomorrow night.
    ......... Pickford
    Keane Stones Gomez
    Walker Dier (C) Loftus-Cheek Bertrand
    Lingard Abraham Rashford

Think Rashford and Lingard will have a lot of freedom, Lingard to tuck in and fill the 10 role and Rashford to play as an out-and-out striker at times.
  • Options
    Did read that Joe Hart will be the starter in Goal... Hope not though

Its not because of his form (I do think that when on form; Hart is a great Goalkeeper) yet we know what he can do

Pickford / Gunn on the other hand we dont, play them two in the friendly and especially in Pickford's case, lets see if the Germany performance was a one off

Hope we get to see Cook and Solanke at some point though, be great if Gomez starts!!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    SDAddick said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/18804/11122236/pick-your-england-xi-to-face-brazil-at-wembley?participants=109742-106946-103688-130370-15830-106603-133545-1813-108897-143810-142056&formation=3412#32854d3a2e403498b1d3fe05e0a13675

Don't know if this will show up but this is who I think Southgate will play tomorrow night.
    ......... Pickford
    Keane Stones Gomez
    Walker Dier (C) Loftus-Cheek Bertrand
    Lingard Abraham Rashford

Think Rashford and Lingard will have a lot of freedom, Lingard to tuck in and fill the 10 role and Rashford to play as an out-and-out striker at times.

Wouldn’t be surprised if that was the starting XI. Except I think Vardy will be in instead of Abraham. Think Solanke and Cook will get on.
  • Options
    Neymar, Jesus and Coutinho up front for Brazil, not bad!
  • Options

Fail the height test
  • Options

Yeah but they're up against Joe Gomez so dont stand a chance
  • Options
    Hart back in. Don't really get it might as well give Pickford more experience.
  • Options
    Gomez v Neymar. Go, Joe!
  • Options
    Let's hope he screws up.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Hart back in. Don't really get it might as well give Pickford more experience.

I think the argument is Southgate has, what 2-3 matches before he has to name a squad for the World Cup? I think he wants players to get used to playing together. And when you look at the three in front of Hart, they've played what, 75 minutes together? I don't think you can blame Southgate for wanting to get both his senior available Keepers used to playing with a back three and with Maguire and Gomez. The fact of the matter is, whether you agree or not, Joe Hart has a very good claim to be the number one and as such needs to get games to prepare himself.

I know we see these friendlies as largely meaningless, but if Southgate is doing his job properly he shouldn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I think Vardy and Rashford up front is... Interesting. It's clear Southgate expects them to play on the counter but my concern is the ball will go forward and not stick. And there is still the problem that, in central midfield, I don't know that England have players who can play a killer ball to break teams down. It's more of a problem when teams sit deep, but against Brazil, with their back four and midfield, I expect them to put a lot of pressure on the ball in midfield.
  • Options
    At the moment; Southgate is on a hiding to nothing and cant win whatever he does

I read the other day that he wanted to have mock penalty shootouts at Wembley after a few friendlies next year and people were moaning saying it wouldnt replicate the pressure of a genuine match yet at least he's doing something different to Hodgson / Capello / McClaren / Eriksson by trying something different

Same with the kids; for years people have been saying that the U21s should be given more of a chance and when the U20s / U17s won their respective World Cups there were calls for those players to be given an opportunity; Solanke (top scorer) and Cook (U20 Captain) have now been called up yet fans are now saying that he's handing caps out like sweets and they're not ready... I even like the fact I heard that Phil Foden is potentially being fast-tracked into the U21s which is a brilliant idea; see if he can handle the higher level. If so then maybe get him into the Seniors for a friendly and see again if he can cope with that level - Should he fail at any point then he simply can be put straight back into his natural age group and can progress as normal
  • Options
    I'm very pleased that the first time in my memory that every England player sang the national anthem before the game. If this is something that Southgate has introduced then he deserves full credit.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

At the moment; Southgate is on a hiding to nothing and cant win whatever he does

I read the other day that he wanted to have mock penalty shootouts at Wembley after a few friendlies next year and people were moaning saying it wouldnt replicate the pressure of a genuine match yet at least he's doing something different to Hodgson / Capello / McClaren / Eriksson by trying something different

Same with the kids; for years people have been saying that the U21s should be given more of a chance and when the U20s / U17s won their respective World Cups there were calls for those players to be given an opportunity; Solanke (top scorer) and Cook (U20 Captain) have now been called up yet fans are now saying that he's handing caps out like sweets and they're not ready... I even like the fact I heard that Phil Foden is potentially being fast-tracked into the U21s which is a brilliant idea; see if he can handle the higher level. If so then maybe get him into the Seniors for a friendly and see again if he can cope with that level - Should he fail at any point then he simply can be put straight back into his natural age group and can progress as normal

I agree with all of this. I don't understand the hatred toward Southgate ans this notion that he's the worst ever England manager when you have many who have not qualified for tournaments. I know the football hasn't been sexy, but when have England ever played sexy football? And what more can he do now when half his squad pull out injured?

He is trying different formations and different players to try to mimic what will be needed over the course of the tournament. And he can't magically create a deep lying playmaker out of nothing. And he can't make his players go abroad so they learn to play in tight spaces and with their brains instead of the blood and thunder and run around a lot of the Premier League.

He's doing the best with the limited number of players he has, and he is giving caps and call ups to the most talented young players, even if they're not playing regularly or in the Prem. But Loftus-Cheek, Solanke, Gunn, and Cook are all stand out talents. Again, he can't conjure players out of thin air.
  • Options
    On the basis of the last two friendlies Id like to see Kane and Vardy up front with Alli in the Midfield!!
  • Options
    JoGo looking very composed so far. @SDAddick called it right about the ball not sticking up top.
  • Options
    I’d like to see Southgate send them out and start really playing at Brazil rather than just letting them, even if we lose why not have a good go and see what we can do.
  • Options
    Lost count of the amount of times Bertrand has given the ball away.
  • Options
    All 3 centre backs have been fantastic, Bertrand and Dier absolute wank
  • Options
    Wonder when Gomez will let Neymar out of his pocket - Him / Stones / Maguire sounds so uninspiring but they've been outstanding

Gary Cahill might want to retire from International Football soon as may struggle to get past them and others coming through