Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums QF 4: Blood on the Tracks vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2017

Final score:

35 - 26

Dylan's picture is on the victorious album's cover, but the winner is Sgt. Pepper.

He doesn’t look very happy, in fact he looks pretty pissed orf!
  • Options

Final score:

35 - 26

Dylan's picture is on the victorious album's cover, but the winner is Sgt. Pepper.

He doesn’t look very happy, in fact he looks pretty pissed orf!
    I doubt he'd give a damn about polls.

Speaking of his voice, remember how it changed for Lay Lady Lay? Wasn't that supposed to be because he gave up smoking?
    Always liked his voice actually. Well most of the time anyway.
  • Options

Final score:

35 - 26

• Options
    I demand a recount ...
  • Options

Sergeant Pepper.

Just watched the documentary "It Was Fifty Years Ago Today" on Netflix. Very odd in that it was about Sergeant Pepper and what was going on with The Beatles in and around 1967 but they had no Beatles music nor did they show the album cover in full. Nothing controversial so I assume just copyright issues.

Correct! I sold Netflix that film!
  • Options
    So, we re left with a final four of:

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Revolver - The Beatles
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

We could have Pepper v Revover, which would eliminate the possibility of an all Beatles final, but leave us with a semi final of BOTW v Nevermind. Alternatively, we could separate the Beatles albums.

I might be giving this too much thought, but we have had a lot of opinions expressed throughout.

Any thoughts or preferences?
  • Options

So, we re left with a final four of:

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Revolver - The Beatles
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

We could have Pepper v Revover, which would eliminate the possibility of an all Beatles final, but leave us with a semi final of BOTW v Nevermind. Alternatively, we could separate the Beatles albums.

I might be giving this too much thought, but we have had a lot of opinions expressed throughout.

Any thoughts or preferences?

Blind draw.
  • Options
    Not a big Dylan fan so Pepper for me.
  • Options
    Keep the Beatles apart
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just sort them by votes received in the quarter finals. Highest against lowest etc.
  • Options
    Just give it to Peppers and save the petty bickering.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    A farago. No Led Zeppelin. No Pentangle or Fairport Convention. No Van Morrison. No Clash or Jam. To misquote Lennon: Sgt Pepper wasn't even the best album by the Beatles or the best album of 1967.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Just sort them by votes received in the quarter finals. Highest against lowest etc.

This. Go by the numbers.
  • Options

A farago. No Led Zeppelin. No Pentangle or Fairport Convention. No Van Morrison. No Clash or Jam. To misquote Lennon: Sgt Pepper wasn't even the best album by the Beatles or the best album of 1967.

Quite right, 1967 belongs to Bobbie Gentry and 1968 to Richard Harris
  • Options

Keep the Beatles apart

Are you Yoko in disguise
    No she is going to be Charlton's new owner
  • Options

Well the rest of the world begged to differ.
    Certainly none of the artists you mention ever made a album that had the cultural impact of Pepper.
    I mean, Pentangle ffs. I don't mean to decry but that is just your personal choice.
    Much as the album Something Else By The Kinks probably means more to me than any other
  • Options
    This is possibly the most accurate, fair, open and transparent portrayal of rock album opinion ever. I distinctly remember Danny Baker saying that sackfuls of votes were put out with the bins to ensure the new fangled Smiths won a similar competition at the magazine he worked for. The staff were apparently fed up with the old guard winning everything.

You may also recall that Blue Peter staff rejected the kid’s vote to call a new kitten Cookie and decided to call him Socks instead. This outrage was eventually rumbled and a second kitten introduced - and called Cookie - although I still think the first kitten should have been renamed.

Don’t even mention Boaty McBoatface …

Providing Addick in SW16 continues to root out the odd chancer on here and adequate measures are taken to guard against Russian infiltration I for one will accept the winner of this competition as ‘best album ever’ whoever that may be.
  • Options

I mean, Pentangle ffs. I don't mean to decry
    Hmm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Keep the Beatles apart

Are you Yoko in disguise
    O No
  • Options

Keep the Beatles apart

Are you Yoko in disguise
    O No
    Give Pearce a chance
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay. In the next day or so I will post the first semi final. As suggested I will base it on votes received in the initial round and in the knockout rounds.
  • Options

I mean, Pentangle ffs. I don't mean to decry
    Hmm.
    Fair point.
    I think they were a fantastically talented band.
    But I don't believe they did anything that can be compared with Pepper.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

This is the most difficult decision yet. Sgt Peppers first ever album I owned! Have both and on vinyl...But Dylan album a classic and the lyrics and consistency...

My vote goes to Blood on the Tracks!

Not sure it matters much now - but I’ve just listened to both and I’m changing my vote to Sgt Peppers. As good as BOTT is and the great lyrics - Sgt Peppers is so innovative and a special observation of the times...