Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums QF 4: Blood on the Tracks vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Comments

• Options
    Sgt Pepper for me
  • Options
    BOTT.
  • Options
    I make that Pepper 37 - 39 BOTT

BOTT wins
  • Options
    Pepper
  • Options
    SPLHCB
  • Options
    Pepper in the lead 35 - 22.
  • Options

What is the point of this discussion?

Comparing Sgt Peppers to the Stone Roses and now Bob Dylan doesn't make any sense. They are each from different decades and of different styles.

Doing this in quarter finals and semi-finals is supposed to lead us to what? A winner in The Final?

So therefore we are supposed to arrive at the best album of all time. I don't think that we can say such a thing exists.

All this has been done countless times before. The best list is probably from Rolling Stone magazine:

'The RS 500 was assembled by the editors of Rolling Stone, based on the results of two extensive polls. In 2003, Rolling Stone asked a panel of 271 artists, producers, industry executives and journalists to pick the greatest albums of all time. In 2009, we asked a similar group of 100 experts to pick the best albums of the 2000s. From those results, Rolling Stone created this new list of the greatest albums of all time.'

Here's a link to the top 100: http://www.listchallenges.com/rolling-stones-top-100-albums
    Sgt Peppers is n°1 by the way

or try this: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/jul/16/popandrock.shopping
    Sgt Peppers is n°2 here

I quite like this one partially because I love Revolver: http://www.nme.com/photos/the-500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-100-1-1426116

The NME chart has The Smiths 'The Queen is Dead' at number 1, and says this:

'What distinguishes it as the greatest ever made? For one thing, timelessness. It is a state-of-the-nation address which seems impervious to the passage of years.'

Good album, but sounds pretty dated to these ears now.

The poll was carried out in 2013. I'd be very surprised to see it at Number 1 in a poll carried out today.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

What is the point of this discussion?

Comparing Sgt Peppers to the Stone Roses and now Bob Dylan doesn't make any sense. They are each from different decades and of different styles.

Doing this in quarter finals and semi-finals is supposed to lead us to what? A winner in The Final?

So therefore we are supposed to arrive at the best album of all time. I don't think that we can say such a thing exists.

All this has been done countless times before. The best list is probably from Rolling Stone magazine:

'The RS 500 was assembled by the editors of Rolling Stone, based on the results of two extensive polls. In 2003, Rolling Stone asked a panel of 271 artists, producers, industry executives and journalists to pick the greatest albums of all time. In 2009, we asked a similar group of 100 experts to pick the best albums of the 2000s. From those results, Rolling Stone created this new list of the greatest albums of all time.'

Here's a link to the top 100: http://www.listchallenges.com/rolling-stones-top-100-albums
    Sgt Peppers is n°1 by the way

or try this: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/jul/16/popandrock.shopping
    Sgt Peppers is n°2 here

I quite like this one partially because I love Revolver: http://www.nme.com/photos/the-500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-100-1-1426116

The NME chart has The Smiths 'The Queen is Dead' at number 1, and says this:

'What distinguishes it as the greatest ever made? For one thing, timelessness. It is a state-of-the-nation address which seems impervious to the passage of years.'

Good album, but sounds pretty dated to these ears now.

The poll was carried out in 2013. I'd be very surprised to see it at Number 1 in a poll carried out today.
    Blimey. I doubt it would make my top 2000.

Maybe the most authentic list would be that of total sales.
    But then again we still wouldn't agree with it :smile:
  • Options
    I was misled by Henry and want to change to BOTT given the score this morning.
  • Options

I make that Pepper 37 - 39 BOTT

BOTT wins

Flag.
    And remove promote :wink:

To be honest I can only think of perhaps 4/5 albums that mean more to me than BOTT and 3 of those haven't even been mentioned.
    Pepper is one of the others though :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    Bob by a country mile.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I was misled by Henry and want to change to BOTT given the score this morning.

Thought so. Vote switch noted.
  • Options
    Is it too soon to talk about the playoffs?
  • Options
    I've posted on previous threads - and possibly more than once - on the merits and importance of Sergeant Pepper. I've grown to appreciate Dylan, though it took a long time. However, I still find his work patchy and lyrically self-indulgent at times, if absolutely genius at others. And that voice - so expressionless and deadpan (which might be the same thing but worth saying twice) and as somebody said earlier, just whiny. I actually prefer Bryan Ferry's version of Simple Twist of Fate, which probably says a lot about my taste in music but also, I think, my irritation with Dylan's lackadaisical approach to production. Most of his songs could sound so much better. Anyway, Sergeant Pepper for me hands down.
  • Options

I've posted on previous threads - and possibly more than once - on the merits and importance of Sergeant Pepper. I've grown to appreciate Dylan, though it took a long time. However, I still find his work patchy and lyrically self-indulgent at times, if absolutely genius at others. And that voice - so expressionless and deadpan (which might be the same thing but worth saying twice) and as somebody said earlier, just whiny. I actually prefer Bryan Ferry's version of Simple Twist of Fate, which probably says a lot about my taste in music but also, I think, my irritation with Dylan's lackadaisical approach to production. Most of his songs could sound so much better. Anyway, Sergeant Pepper for me hands down.

Isn't Ferry's voice whiny (and affected) as well.
  • Options
    Absolutely - and increasingly so as he has got older. I guess it annoys me less. Dylan's voice is now a croak.
  • Options

I've tried several times to get in to Dylan but I just don't seem to get what many others do.

Sgt Peppers wins for me.

Dylan starter kit:

Oxford Town - Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    Tomorrow is a long time - More Bob Dylan Greatest Hits
    One Too Many Mornings - Times they are a changin'
    Love Minus Zero/ No Limit - Bringing it all back home
    All along the watchtower - john Wesley Harding
    Sign on the window - new morning
    Never say goodbye - planet waves
    Mozambique - desire
    We better talk this over - street legal
    Pressing on - saved
    Blind willie mctell - bootleg series 1-3
    Most of the time - oh mercy
    Born in time - under the red sky
    Not dark yet- time out of mind
  • Options
    Neither album are their best work. I prefer Planet Waves to BOTT and Revolver and The White Album to Sgt Pepper.

However here I will vote for BOTT.
  • Options
    White Album is brilliant.
    The best Beatles track of all time for me is Long and Winding Road on Let It Be - just sends shivers up my spine every time i hear it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017

The best Beatles track of all time for me is Long and Winding Road on Let It Be - just sends shivers up my spine every time i hear it.

Very much a McCartney solo effort.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Very much a McCartney solo track.

Problem with Peppers, not enough Lennon. From what I've read he was too out of it at this time to make more of a contribution.
  • Options
    BOTT by two country miles.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Very much a McCartney solo track.

Problem with Peppers, not enough Lennon. From what I've read he was too out of it at this time to make more of a contribution.
    McCartney was responsible for a lot more of 'the hits' than Lennon. The band has three exceptional song writers, most bands don't even have one.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Isn't Ferry's voice whiny (and affected) as well.
    I feel Ferry’s choice of affected style is deliberate, like it or not, I do but surely Bob’s is just his natural state?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    well I'm a big fan of Dylan's but for the most part its his folk songs that I prefer. for me the 1964 bootlegged live album at the Philharmonic Hall being the pinnacle. I still love his later work but that voice, those lyrics and the combination of acoustic guitar and harmonica were for me near perfect. certainly for a folk singer.

anyway, no where near my favourite Dylan album (or even my favourite after he went electric) but Blood on the tracks is still very good (love idiot wind) but sgt pepper just nicks it for a day in the life.

edit: had a rethink and changed my vote. sorry Bob.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Final score:

35 - 26

Dylan's picture is on the victorious album's cover, but the winner is Sgt. Pepper.

• Options
    Justice has prevailed!
  • Options
    Nadou said:

That's it - I'm off to ITTV!

I'm right behind you @Nadou