Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

recent sexual harassment allegations

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

One of the politicians caught up in the allegations has been found dead;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41904161

There must be some terrible allegations coming out about him if he's decided it's a better option to take his own life rather than face the music.

• Options
    Carter said:

4;uuiù……r

Addickted said:

se9addick said:

There must be some terrible allegations coming out about him if he's decided it's a better option to take his own life rather than face the music.

Or maybe he's distraught at the thought of having done nothing wrong yet having to prove his innocence.

I don't know either way just playing devils advocate
    Whether he did it or not, he’s an arsehole for leaving 2 kids without a father.
  • Options
    I wish some of those making allegations would go straight to the police so at least they can be proven. Plastering stuff over the internet which is possibly untrue doesn't seem the way forward....
  • Options

I wish some of those making allegations would go straight to the police so at least they can be proven. Plastering stuff over the internet which is possibly untrue doesn't seem the way forward....

Many of the allegations that have been made are not criminal offences (I am not including alleged rape obviously) and these are also unprovable-just allegations about what happened between two people. But careers and lives are being ruined anyway.
  • Options

Carter said:

4;uuiù……r

Addickted said:

se9addick said:

Or maybe he's distraught at the thought of having done nothing wrong yet having to prove his innocence.

If someone is so motivated to take their own life despite such circumstances (leaving family behind etc), surely - in most cases, at least - there must also be a reflection on what could have been done to prevent this?

The Welsh government or the Labour Party might have failed in their duty of care; people might well have been assuming guilt without proof; and so forth.

Either way the whole thing is tragic.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Carter said:

4;uuiù……r

Addickted said:

se9addick said:

If someone is so motivated to take their own life despite such circumstances (leaving family behind etc), surely - in most cases, at least - there must also be a reflection on what could have been done to prevent this?

The Welsh government or the Labour Party might have failed in their duty of care; people might well have been assuming guilt without proof; and so forth.

Either way the whole thing is tragic.
    Also, suicide is clearly an indication of an irrational state of mind, so trying to rationalise his actions by saying "why did he do it when he had x to live for" seems counterintuitive.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

All of this has actually made me look back at some of my past behaviour and actually cringe.

AFKA that time I snuck up behind you going through the barrier at Cannon Street and smacked your arse. I am sorry.

I know I've put this jokingly... and I don't mean to make fun of the real victims.

I think if someone did that to me at a station/football ground I would be very pissed off. Very shamefaced.

AFKA gets off at Charing Cross? :wink:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worth remembering the amount of stories of (usually young) female school teachers who have innapropriate relations with school boys. Those stories always seem to be more a 'light-hearted tabloid trash' report than the sexual abuse they clearly are.

Both genders are capable of abuse of power and sexual assault.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

my two bobs worth

All the parents of the child stars who have been fiddled with , Your as much to blame as the nonse who hurt your kids , you don’t trust no cnut where your kids are concerned. Where were you when these people were exploiting your children , I bet you were sitting there thinking of the $s

This is a bit much.

Firstly saying kids have been fiddled with is disrespectful

They are not an inanimate object that was 'fiddled' with, they were/are young human beings that were/are being sexually assaulted.

Blaming the parents for thinking a person in a position of authority would be trustworthy and safe for their kids to be around is ludicrous, whilst it might seem obvious now, it was apparently less obvious historically. I do however agree that it is messed up that some parents trusted someone with rumours that they were dodgy.

No you're right instead they should have just said "No, I know you want to be an actor and you have an amazing opportunity, but unless I can be by your side 24/7 it's not going to happen"

The only people at fault in any of these situations is the one carrying out the assaults and those that protect/ed that person.
    Too many parents leave their kids with people they don’t know out of laziness and greed , when I coached football to kids ages 5 until they were 15 we became a crèche for lazy parents and those that had dreams of their kids being prem footballers

It was no surprise to me when the football scandal broke as the kids were left wide open to dirty predators who abused them (if you don’t like the fiddled with bit ) I spoke with numerous coaches who all said the same they were being asked to collect and ferry kids too and from training and games , we put a rule in place that stopped kids being in cars with adults that were not their parent to protect all parties loads of clubs didn’t

It’s nothing to do with staying by their side 24/7 but if you leave your son or daughter behind a closed door with a man or woman you don’t know personally without staying in close proximity don’t act surprised and shocked when you find out someone abused your trust
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Dazzler21 said:

my two bobs worth

All the parents of the child stars who have been fiddled with , Your as much to blame as the nonse who hurt your kids , you don’t trust no cnut where your kids are concerned. Where were you when these people were exploiting your children , I bet you were sitting there thinking of the $s

This is a bit much.

They are not an inanimate object that was 'fiddled' with, they were/are young human beings that were/are being sexually assaulted.

Blaming the parents for thinking a person in a position of authority would be trustworthy and safe for their kids to be around is ludicrous, whilst it might seem obvious now, it was apparently less obvious historically. I do however agree that it is messed up that some parents trusted someone with rumours that they were dodgy.

No you're right instead they should have just said "No, I know you want to be an actor and you have an amazing opportunity, but unless I can be by your side 24/7 it's not going to happen"

The only people at fault in any of these situations is the one carrying out the assaults and those that protect/ed that person.
    Too many parents leave their kids with people they don’t know out of laziness and greed , when I coached football to kids ages 5 until they were 15 we became a crèche for lazy parents and those that had dreams of their kids being prem footballers

It was no surprise to me when the football scandal broke as the kids were left wide open to dirty predators who abused them (if you don’t like the fiddled with bit ) I spoke with numerous coaches who all said the same they were being asked to collect and ferry kids too and from training and games , we put a rule in place that stopped kids being in cars with adults that were not their parent to protect all parties loads of clubs didn’t

It’s nothing to do with staying by their side 24/7 but if you leave your son or daughter behind a closed door with a man or woman you don’t know personally without staying in close proximity don’t act surprised and shocked when you find out someone abused your trust
    What about leaving children at nursery school with teachers taking them to the toilet etc in that respect then?

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

my two bobs worth

This is a bit much.

So nurseries, pre school, primary schools secondary school etc?!?!

This is why DBS and CRB checks are there, if someone has swerved prosecution you really can't blame the family can you?.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

my two bobs worth

This is a bit much.

And yet the NSPCC's statistics show that in the main, a child would be much safer being left with an adult who was a complete stranger. Setting aside on-line abuse which, obviously, originates from outside the child's home, it is an indisputable fact that children are in most danger of maltreatment in their own home at the hands of their own parent or guardian.

So here's some actual facts away from the headlines: 78% of violent treatment is handed down by either the kid's father or mother. Factor in other relatives and it is clear that violence against kids really is a family affair!

Sexual abuse has a different profile. One third of this type of abuse is carried out by another child. But in 90% of all cases it will be someone the child knows. It is also no surprise to learn that girls are more likely to be targets than boys. Rather than a parent the abuser is likely to be a peer. That is boy or girlfriends, friends of brothers or sisters, fellow pupils or students. (How far should any vetting process go?) Next up are older people, but again neighbours and parents’ friends were the most common abuser. Very few said that the person involved was a professional. The only category of abuse which was experienced to any great extent from strangers was indecent exposure; that is your park flasher. But the figures were very low.

Another truism is that the abuse happens either in the child's own home or the home of the perpetrator.

The fear of keeping a precious darling safe, while well-meaning is destroying kids ability to experience life, fresh air and human interactions. It is no surprise that such a vast number of children are obese. All they do all day is sit at home eating unsuitable food, looking at a LCD screen of some description or sitting in a car being ferried to/from school.

These kids are having their life diminished and shortened and their health ruined. Their teeth are going rotten (a 20% increase in hospital admissions for teeth problems in just five years!); allergies (read more here: https://allergyuk.org/information-and-advice/statistics) and diabetes (the UK is riding high in the international charts for juvenile diabetes) are rife.

And yet, and yet, parents worry about their kiddywinks getting run over or some random and very, very small chance that a professional will sexually abuse them. In short, parents' behaviour has become utterly illogical, if not downright hysterical.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Dazzler21 said:

my two bobs worth

This is a bit much.

And yet the NSPCC's statistics show that in the main, a child would be much safer being left with an adult who was a complete stranger. Setting aside on-line abuse which, obviously, originates from outside the child's home, it is an indisputable fact that children are in most danger of maltreatment in their own home at the hands of their own parent or guardian.

So here's some actual facts away from the headlines: 78% of violent treatment is handed down by either the kid's father or mother. Factor in other relatives and it is clear that violence against kids really is a family affair!

Sexual abuse has a different profile. One third of this type of abuse is carried out by another child. But in 90% of all cases it will be someone the child knows. It is also no surprise to learn that girls are more likely to be targets than boys. Rather than a parent the abuser is likely to be a peer. That is boy or girlfriends, friends of brothers or sisters, fellow pupils or students. (How far should any vetting process go?) Next up are older people, but again neighbours and parents’ friends were the most common abuser. Very few said that the person involved was a professional. The only category of abuse which was experienced to any great extent from strangers was indecent exposure; that is your park flasher. But the figures were very low.

Another truism is that the abuse happens either in the child's own home or the home of the perpetrator.

The fear of keeping a precious darling safe, while well-meaning is destroying kids ability to experience life, fresh air and human interactions. It is no surprise that such a vast number of children are obese. All they do all day is sit at home eating unsuitable food, looking at a LCD screen of some description or sitting in a car being ferried to/from school.

These kids are having their life diminished and shortened and their health ruined. Their teeth are going rotten (a 20% increase in hospital admissions for teeth problems in just five years!); allergies (read more here: https://allergyuk.org/information-and-advice/statistics) and diabetes (the UK is riding high in the international charts for juvenile diabetes) are rife.

And yet, and yet, parents worry about their kiddywinks getting run over or some random and very, very small chance that a professional will sexually abuse them. In short, parents' behaviour has become utterly illogical, if not downright hysterical.
    Completely agree - it's all a bit hysterical at times. Most incidents take place in the home yet the focus is put elsewhere.

• Options
    edited November 2017

• Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Dazzler21 said:

my two bobs worth

This is a bit much.

Totally agree. Paedogeddon is whipped up into a fury by the media every six months or so - because it's one of those things where literally no-one disagrees and everyone can feel good about venting their spleen publicly, and anyone who says anything that might dissent is accused of being a kiddie-porn sympathiser or worse. Whilst it's horrific to think of the consequences for individuals and families involved on the rare occasions it does happen, it's extremely rare. Common sense should prevail
  • Options

Worth remembering the amount of stories of (usually young) female school teachers who have innapropriate relations with school boys. Those stories always seem to be more a 'light-hearted tabloid trash' report than the sexual abuse they clearly are.

Both genders are capable of abuse of power and sexual assault.

Really? A lot of them appear to get put in prison with loads of negative press coverage as far as I can see.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-392953/Female-teacher-jailed-sex-pupil.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/woman-jailed-sex-student-pupil-teacher-relationship-a7986976.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33252378

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/blonde-female-teacher-jailed-10-6607367

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-29078360
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Back on topic............I think its disgusting that Carl Sargent can get sacked due to allegations only - no evidence to say he had done anything wrong & he hadn't even been told what the allegations were or given a right to reply. I thought in this country someone is innocent until proven guilty. If I was his family I would be creating merry hell (after I'd finished grieving) - just wonder what the alleged "victims" are thinking now .

Golfie's World!

• Options

Back on topic............I think its disgusting that Carl Sargent can get sacked due to allegations only - no evidence to say he had done anything wrong & he hadn't even been told what the allegations were or given a right to reply. I thought in this country someone is innocent until proven guilty. If I was his family I would be creating merry hell (after I'd finished grieving) - just wonder what the alleged "victims" are thinking now .

He should have been suspended or stepped down whilst any inquiry took place.
    It's what happens in most workplaces I know of.
  • Options
    I wouldn't speak ill of the dead, but until/unless we have all the facts (and his passing might ensure that we never do) I think it is dangerous to speculate as to why he was fired/stepped down.
  • Options
    Once an allegation is made and your name is in the public domain then your reputation is sullied whether the allegation is proven or not. The internet is only going to make this worse as rumours circulate quickly.

Not a good state of affairs.
  • Options
    'Paedogeddon' lol
  • Options
    More fool any one Who believes that leaving your child alone in cars going to matches with football coaches or on the casting couch for a movie role is anythingike leaving your kid at school

• Options

More fool any one Who believes that leaving your child alone in cars going to matches with football coaches or on the casting couch for a movie role is anythingike leaving your kid at school

Tbh nothing in life is completely safe - use a bit of common sense and don't spend your life expecting the worst all the time.

Parents make themselves hysterical by reading a constant stream of abuse stories in the tabloids.

The only way to make kids completely safe is to keep them under lock and key and never let them out of your sight. Not really practical.