Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

recent sexual harassment allegations

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:
    Terrible he was promoted after the allegation and embarrassing for the Labour party.
  • Options
    You know how on threads like this, most people find themselves liking comments by people they usually agree with? I'm somewhat perplexed to find that on this one I'm dishing out likes to @Chippycafc and @i_b_b_o_r_g . I also very much liked @cafcfan 's post too (although I often do). Which is not to say that I disagree with equally excellent posts from @Grapevine49 and others. I suppose in short living in another European country for 24 years has changed some of my social attitudes. Whether that is a good thing, or a bad thing and which of the two countries has a "better" attitude to this kind of controversy, is something I'd better not plunge into without careful thought. And its really good to read several strands of thought on it.

One question for now. Does anyone have a good idea of how the story is playing out in other European countries? Here, it is definitely "WTAF". What about Germany and especially France? I will get a good view from Scandi-land over the weekend, land of the empowered woman, that'll be interesting.

It's important because almost certainly this is going to bring down the government. And among other things that will then mean that

1. Andrea Leadsom's egregious role in this as a politician (as opposed to a woman) will escape proper scrutiny.

2. As another Lifer said to me in a PM, this will probably catch Johnson. If so I will be seriously disappointed. He needs to be held to account for spunking £900m on projects including the Olympic Stadium simply to assist his career ambitions, as well as the business of seeking to organise a serious physical assault on a journalist who had annoyed him. If he resigns for something similar to what we have so far heard about Fallon, he will escape that scrutiny.

• Options
    Bring down the government? I reckon there will be a couple of sacrificial bunnies for labour and conservatives, then it'll die down, be brushed under the rug and crappy business as usual. I can't see the momentum continue
  • Options
    I think an MP will end up taking an accuser to court
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I think an MP will end up taking an accuser to court

With you on this. They have both the money & the balls to do it. Wont ever get that far though - too much "he said, she said". Just look this mornings headlines. Conservative MP suspended & he's saying the party haven't even yet told him why.
  • Options
    When you think rape conviction is what under 7%.
    A grope, hand on leg is one word against another.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Bring down the government? I reckon there will be a couple of sacrificial bunnies for labour and conservatives, then it'll die down, be brushed under the rug and crappy business as usual. I can't see the momentum continue

Well , it could go that way too, but listening to some experienced commentators last night, I think it was Fraser Nelson who said this govt. starts to have the feel of the last days of the Major government where the public got just totally sick of them, and nothing, absolutely nothing the govt. tried could shift that perception. Remarkable, as he said, that May could manage to get them in this state so quickly. Major had a recovering economy on his side, it still didn't cut any ice. May has the opposite, and then there is the Brexit omni-shambles. Put it this way, if she is still PM by end March, I will be very surprised.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

McBobbin said:

Well , it could go that way too, but listening to some experienced commentators last night, I think it was Fraser Nelson who said this govt. starts to have the feel of the last days of the Major government where the public got just totally sick of them, and nothing, absolutely nothing the govt. tried could shift that perception. Remarkable, as he said, that May could manage to get them in this state so quickly. Major had a recovering economy on his side, it still didn't cut any ice. May has the opposite, and then there is the Brexit omni-shambles. Put it this way, if she is still PM by end March, I will be very surprised.

Something else will come along to clog up the new cycle soon enough, I don't think people have long enough attention spans for a government to be brought down by scandle these days, epspecially as it seems both parties have their problems in this instance.

How often do you seeen Grenfell in the news anymore?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

McBobbin said:

I see that point. The Tories by 1997 were hit with so many scandals, and were poison for at least three elections after that. I'm not getting quite the same feel this time though, largely because public perception on politicians is already at rock bottom, and scandals aren't quite as well, scandalous as before. If David mellor and his Chelsea top came out now, nobody would care.

Having said that, we are talking about potential criminal activity this time rather than just affairs
  • Options
    I've had it from two decent and separate sources in the media world that David Jason was known to dabble with the dark stuff.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    PopIcon said:

I've had it from two decent and separate sources in the media world that D**** J**** was known to dabble with the dark stuff.

Be careful @PopIcon , you never know bud......
  • Options

PopIcon said:

I've had it from two decent and separate sources in the media world that D**** J**** was known to dabble with the dark stuff.

Be careful @PopIcon , you never know bud......
    I appreciate what you are saying, it's why I was careful with my words.
  • Options
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/03/nyregion/harvey-weinstein-new-york-police.html?_r=0

Finally some (qualified) good news in all of this, apparently the NYPD are working to build a case against Harvey Weinstein. I'm very much in favor of public shaming, lawsuits, people losing their jobs, etc., but at the end of the day what he (and many others) did was a crime, and they deserve to be punished by the judicial system.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I've had it from two decent and separate sources in the media world that David Jason was known to dabble with the dark stuff.

I know you mean Guinness

• Options

PopIcon said:

I know you mean Guinness

Bovril was what popped into my head...but then again I sit in the Upper West.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

The Occult?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

PopIcon said:

The Occult?
    I thought he meant swarfega
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So does anyone want to tell me why Andrea Leadsom's specific complaint against Fallon is a reasonable portrayal of unacceptable behaviour (i.e. a sackable offence if it took place in say a company management meeting) which should be taken on board by wider society.

Would anyone like to defend Leadsom against my charge that her intervention was a 100% opportunistic move by a politician against an internal rival? (Fallon, don't forget is a leading Remainer, and has been mentioned as a possible Tory leader, while Leadsom is a leading Brexiteer, and has been mentioned by herself as a possible leader).

Elphick is an ultra Brexiteer. We don't know the nature of these "serious charges" against him but I am again perplexed by the timing. I'm less sure than I am about Leadsom above but I wonder whether this could be Tory Remainer revenge, and that this could be a proxy war in the fundamental fight within the Tories which has been going on forever.
  • Options

This is a serious thread, about a serious subject that deeply affects a lot of people, do you think we could keep the Brexit bullshit out of it.

It's politics. They (both sides) will weave it in to undermine opponents on an issue, especially the most contentious ones.

You can't separate it from other issues.
  • Options
    iainment said:

This is a serious thread, about a serious subject that deeply affects a lot of people, do you think we could keep the Brexit bullshit out of it.

Rubbish - it's about sexual harassment allegations. Brexit has sod all to do with this yet still manages to sneak in.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

PopIcon said:

I know you mean Guinness

I plead the fifth.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

iainment said:

Rubbish - it's about sexual harassment allegations. Brexit has sod all to do with this yet still manages to sneak in.
    Alright. Let's remove "Brexit" and change it to "hard-right" versus "centre -right". Again a long standing division within the Tories. Go on, tell me why we should take Leadsom at face value in coming forward with this now.

In making my own call on Leadsom I look at her not as a woman but as a politician. She displays vaulting ambition in inverse proportion to her actual ability, a complete lack of awareness of her own absurdity, and an embelllishment of her cv which amounts to lying. In short almost identical to Boris Johnson. As with Johnson therefore I don't trust a single thing she says or does. Now tell me that in this case she deserves a more sympathetic hearing.

And don't think I make this up on my own. On Twitter an unnamed Minister was quoted as saying "Is she trying to bring down the entire Government?"

• Options
    edited November 2017
    As a fellow Liberal Democrat, I often wonder how you know so much about so many politicians?
    I mean Leadsom. You've got to find some pretty obscure political corners to discover she has limited ability and vaulting ambition, dont you?
    All politicians are ambitious - how is this one so much more so (apart from one unattributed tweet)?