Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

recent sexual harassment allegations

Comments

• so today, Michael Fallon resigns because he touched a reporters knee 15 years ago, and by all accounts she has dismissed it & is all water under the bridge.

Now I read that Dustin Hoffman touched a 17 year old girl & made sexual comments , back in 1985.

Is it me, or are we now going over the top with "historical sexual advances". Yes, they may not have been right or appropriate & shouldn't have happened, but they were years ago & hardly the crime of the century. I doubt whether either women now thinks about the incidents & hasn't affected their lives.

It happened, its in the past, lets move on.

Re final line.

Would you say this to a member of your family in the same situation?
    Lets just say that something did happen to me when I was a teenager - it would now be classed as sexual abuse but at the time I considered it as just part of growing up. It only happened once but it hasn't scarred me for life.

The 2 incidents I mentioned in my OP are far less worse & imo nothing to get hung up about. There might be more to Fallon but I was commenting on the reported incident with Hartley-Brewer.
    People are different though.
  • There's no way Fallon resigned because of the knee touching incident. The rumours are that he had an affair with another man.

The spreadsheet is an internal Tory document, disaster for them that it's been leaked. There's some pretty strange allegations on their including that there is a video of one MP with three men urinating on him...
  • Jints said:

There's no way Fallon resigned because of the knee touching incident. The rumours are that he had an affair with another man.

The spreadsheet is an internal Tory document, disaster for them that it's been leaked. There's some pretty strange allegations on their including that there is a video of one MP with three men urinating on him...

It's on Twitter.
  • cafcfan said:

Okay, my two pennyworth.

First, a flashback. Remember the media banging on every day about dangerous dogs? We even ended up with an ill-thought out and badly drafted piece of legislation. Have dangerous dogs gone away now? No, of course not, it's just that nobody in the media can be arsed to report dog attacks much anymore - unless they are really serious. Anyway, the latest exposés are beginning to border upon mass hysteria.

We now have a rabid witch hunt of ancient incidents of people not covering themselves in glory. Things have not just moved on in the working environment they have turned daily life into the equivalent of a gathering of Quakers.

There can be no doubt, surely, that a percentage of these claims that are coming out of the woodwork are malicious, false allegations made solely in the hope of achieving some compo and/or a few seconds of fame? In any event the vast majority of them will be utterly impossible to prove.

Working environments everywhere were very different many years ago. Touching, fondling and much more were everyday events. Here's a few examples: blokes in a hot environment wearing nothing more than their overalls lying under printing machines while maintaining them and having their bollocks squeezed by the women workers. (Apparently they thought it funny when the engineer, in shock banged his head on a lump of metal); a secretary stuffing her hand down my trouser pocket to fondle my cock; another who lifted her top up and asked if I liked her bra and to guess her cup size (I got it right BTW); a female member of staff in a very short skirt, sent home for not wearing knickers; an infamous gang-bang at the company Sports Club. (When the story got back to the woman's boss he asked her if she wanted to make a complaint. She told him to mind his own fucking business: she'd instigated it); a girl that didn't get a bonus and shouted across the office at her boss "so the blow job wasn't any good then?"

Sure I have been deliberately one-sided here but you'll notice a theme. None of these instances involved men using their position/power to abuse young girls. This is not a one-way street.

Finally, a story I have told before. A few years after I packed up work - I guess I was around 57 years old at the time, a girl in her teens squeezed my bum and said "nice arse" as she walked by while I was waiting for my train at Stratford Station. At the time, although she was obviously more than a little drunk, I just felt a little chuffed. I realise now of course that I should have hunted down a police officer and made a complaint about a sexual assault.

A politician touching someone's knee - really? Is that the best they can come up with? It's all a little bit like the Loudun Possessions isn't it? When is Fallon getting burned at the stake? Will Corbyn, (some years after inviting his mates round to view a naked Diane Abbott in his bed) ask conference to change his job title to "Lord Protector"?

Am I glad I don't have to go to work anymore. It must be a puritanical nightmare! These days someone would probably complain about you if you complimented their frock or their new hairstyle.

Your examples aren't of women abusing their power or status either.
  • edited November 2017

There's been some sort of spreadsheet been released within Westminster that has names of MP's and the women they've reportedly been inappropriate with. My ex missus is on it and she's had to come out on twitter to deny her boss was anything other than completely professional. It's all very sad.

That’s the spreadsheet I got sent by my mate - picture of it I mean

Won’t be long until it’s doing the rounds on Twitter I guess

• cafcfan said:

Okay, my two pennyworth.

First, a flashback. Remember the media banging on every day about dangerous dogs? We even ended up with an ill-thought out and badly drafted piece of legislation. Have dangerous dogs gone away now? No, of course not, it's just that nobody in the media can be arsed to report dog attacks much anymore - unless they are really serious. Anyway, the latest exposés are beginning to border upon mass hysteria.

We now have a rabid witch hunt of ancient incidents of people not covering themselves in glory. Things have not just moved on in the working environment they have turned daily life into the equivalent of a gathering of Quakers.

There can be no doubt, surely, that a percentage of these claims that are coming out of the woodwork are malicious, false allegations made solely in the hope of achieving some compo and/or a few seconds of fame? In any event the vast majority of them will be utterly impossible to prove.

Working environments everywhere were very different many years ago. Touching, fondling and much more were everyday events. Here's a few examples: blokes in a hot environment wearing nothing more than their overalls lying under printing machines while maintaining them and having their bollocks squeezed by the women workers. (Apparently they thought it funny when the engineer, in shock banged his head on a lump of metal); a secretary stuffing her hand down my trouser pocket to fondle my cock; another who lifted her top up and asked if I liked her bra and to guess her cup size (I got it right BTW); a female member of staff in a very short skirt, sent home for not wearing knickers; an infamous gang-bang at the company Sports Club. (When the story got back to the woman's boss he asked her if she wanted to make a complaint. She told him to mind his own fucking business: she'd instigated it); a girl that didn't get a bonus and shouted across the office at her boss "so the blow job wasn't any good then?"

Sure I have been deliberately one-sided here but you'll notice a theme. None of these instances involved men using their position/power to abuse young girls. This is not a one-way street.

Finally, a story I have told before. A few years after I packed up work - I guess I was around 57 years old at the time, a girl in her teens squeezed my bum and said "nice arse" as she walked by while I was waiting for my train at Stratford Station. At the time, although she was obviously more than a little drunk, I just felt a little chuffed. I realise now of course that I should have hunted down a police officer and made a complaint about a sexual assault.

A politician touching someone's knee - really? Is that the best they can come up with? It's all a little bit like the Loudun Possessions isn't it? When is Fallon getting burned at the stake? Will Corbyn, (some years after inviting his mates round to view a naked Diane Abbott in his bed) ask conference to change his job title to "Lord Protector"?

Am I glad I don't have to go to work anymore. It must be a puritanical nightmare! These days someone would probably complain about you if you complimented their frock or their new hairstyle.

Precisely.
  • List is on Tom Pride's blog too.
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Okay, my two pennyworth.

Precisely.
    Not sure I understand the inclusion of them in a discussion about the behaviour of politicians then?
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

There's been some sort of spreadsheet been released within Westminster that has names of MP's and the women they've reportedly been inappropriate with. My ex missus is on it and she's had to come out on twitter to deny her boss was anything other than completely professional. It's all very sad.

I was sent it yesterday on What's App, who is supposed to have compiled it? The Tory whips, or journalists?

Horrible to think people are having their names falsely associated with this on a completely non attributable document, it really is the ugly side of social media.
  • cabbles said:

I was sent it yesterday on What's App, who is supposed to have compiled it? The Tory whips, or journalists?

Horrible to think people are having their names falsely associated with this on a completely non attributable document, it really is the ugly side of social media.
    The spreadsheet also contains names like Amber Rudd, who had a completely consensual relationship with another unmarried MP. All this does is take away from genunie victims whilst trying to smear those who have genuinely done nothing wrong.

• cabbles said:

I know - it looks like it's been written by someone in the tory party as a review into the people on the list
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I know - it looks like it's been written by someone in the tory party as a review into the people on the list
    Tory party aides.

• Do sociopaths realise they are sociopaths?
  • My Mrs has just told me that when she was in jersey the other week, one of the workers she was training came on to her on a night out. She told him do that again and you will have a size 6 stiletto in your lunchbox. Obviously he heeded her warning. Nothing else was said.
  • My Mrs has just told me that when she was in jersey the other week, one of the workers she was training came on to her on a night out. She told him do that again and you will have a size 6 stiletto in your lunchbox. Obviously he heeded her warning. Nothing else was said.

What's the relevance? It seems your wife was lucky, the bloke accepted her rejection and backed off, plenty don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017

All these people resigning yet the most powerful man on earth can say he likes grabbing pussy and he’s still in a job.

There are also, I believe, 11 women who have accused him of sexual harassment or sexual assault of some kind.
  • SDAddick said:

All these people resigning yet the most powerful man on earth can say he likes grabbing pussy and he’s still in a job.

There are also, I believe, 14 women who have accused him of sexual harassment of sexual assault of some kind.
    Is that an opinion or a fact?
  • Riviera said:

SDAddick said:

It is not that f***ing hard to not touch people without their consent and to take "no" as a definitive answer.

You don't travel on South Eastern then?
    technically then I must be assaulted practically every day on the tube. It's got ridiculous when a brush on the knee is considered an assault or inappropriate. In my opinion it's trivialising actual assaults.

• edited November 2017
    Riviera said:

SDAddick said:

There are also, I believe, 14 women who have accused him of sexual harassment of sexual assault of some kind.
    Is that an opinion or a fact?
    There were 11 who came forward last year. I thought the number had risen to 14, but that might be wrong. So we'll go with 11.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/my-pain-is-everyday-after-weinsteins-fall-trump-accusers-wonder-why-not-him/2017/10/21/bce67720-b585-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.b5893482daf5

He is currently being sued by one woman. The White House had called all of these women liars.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/my-pain-is-everyday-after-weinsteins-fall-trump-accusers-wonder-why-not-him/2017/10/21/bce67720-b585-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.b5893482daf5
  • Leuth said:

Riviera said:

SDAddick said:

It is not that f***ing hard to not touch people without their consent and to take "no" as a definitive answer.

You don't travel on South Eastern then?
    technically then I must be assaulted practically every day on the tube. It's got ridiculous when a brush on the knee is considered an assault or inappropriate. In my opinion it's trivialising actual assaults.

Accidental brushes are NEVER characterised as assault. This is a ridiculous strawman
    And trivializes and distracts from actual assaults.