Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overhauling your diet

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2017
    To save circles... Lets just say eat what you like and only give advice if you're a fully qualified and accredited nutritionist - otherwise only share your opinions to those that ask it on the subject.

And with that I will now withdraw from commenting on Veganism and Whole Food Plant Based Diets on this thread as it has all been said and done before and I think we've derailed this thread with it a bit...
  • Options
    Talal said:

@Dazzler21 you mention buying veg from the fresh food section... Saw a documentary a while back that said frozen veg was actually fresher than "fresh" veg, as it's frozen straight away so retains its freshness while the other loses a lot before making it to supermarket shelves. Admittedly a lot of the frozen stuff doesn't taste as nice though, especially carrots.

Oh I agree entirely. We do buy peas and sweetcorn from the freezer, but as you say Carrots etc generally come from the fresh section.
  • Options
    Lots of talk in this thread about T2 Diabetes so another good story is http://www.fixingdad.com, a documentary about a type 2 reversing his diabetes with diet and exercise who now speaks at medical conferences.
    Not mentioned in the film, but they are a bunch of Charlton fans too.
  • Options

Stevelamb said:

Dazzler21 said:

You're a Vegan aren't you?

I eat a whole food plant based diet.
    Steve, for the uneducated (i.e. me), what does that actually entail?
    also interested in an answer to that
  • Options
    MOBY DUCK said:

Lots of talk in this thread about T2 Diabetes so another good story is http://www.fixingdad.com, a documentary about a type 2 reversing his diabetes with diet and exercise who now speaks at medical conferences.

MOBY DUCK said:

Remember reading about this - amazing what the changes did.
  • Options
    Talal said:

@Dazzler21 you mention buying veg from the fresh food section... Saw a documentary a while back that said frozen veg was actually fresher than "fresh" veg, as it's frozen straight away so retains its freshness while the other loses a lot before making it to supermarket shelves. Admittedly a lot of the frozen stuff doesn't taste as nice though, especially carrots.

Yeah the moment the veg is taken from the vine or whatever, it is dying. If you freeze it immediately, that's way better at keeping in the nutrients that otherwise dissipate. The veg takes 2-3 days to reach the 'fresh' section of the supermarket.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Stevelamb said:

I am with golfie but for me everything in moderation. So I try not to drink alcohol at least 3 days a week, and moderate the amount of times I have the things that are supposedly bad for you. So fish and chips we have very occasionally as its something I really love, likewise Chinese takeaways etc. I know plenty of people who have gone for a drastic change of diet and started eating things they didn't really enjoy, the result being that in the first instance they lost loads of weight but gradually put it back on plus, plus.

I am not drastically overweight nor will I be confused with Jarvis Cocker but life is for living although I do fully agree that if a specific medical requirement arises then sure modify your behaviour.

Life is for living, so surely it is better to prevent disease rather than wait for it to arise.
    I'd rather live a happy life to 75/80 than a longer life miserable about what I am eating etc,
    If you eat unhealthily it will catch up with you and might affect you for a number of years. I worked for a number of years on a vascular ward where a number of our patients had type 2 diabetes and the associated problems that went with it. Many of these patients thought their diet was relatively healthy.

I reckon at least 10% of over 50s now have type 2 diabetes and numbers are growing. Obesity and diabetes will probably sink the NHs.

A few simple changes to diet can help.
    Ah you're questioning whether I eat unhealthily - I do not.

I eat a varied diet, but every DINNER has to have vegetables and some form of meat.

Vegetables are sourced from either from my own patch or the fresh food section of the supermarket)
    Meats I am referring to are unprocessed from the butcher or fishmonger with nothing added or taken away from it (no sausages etc).

I see nothing wrong with using any of the following to lose fat:

5:2 diet (An intro to Intermittent Fasting)
    16:8 diet (A more serious stage of Intermittent Fasting)
    Low GI carb diets.
    Paleo diets
    Plant based diets

Any of these can work, because they help you reduce the bad stuff going in and make you think about what you're eating.

My trick is I think about each item I am going to eat:

"Do I feel this item is healthy or provides nutrients to support my macros or micros?"

If the answer is no, it goes back on the shelf. OR on rare occasion becomes a treat!

If the answer is yes, it goes straight in basket/trolley/cart.

p.s you can tell me cattle milk is bad for you etc and tell me it contains puss etc, but guess what I still drink it and I still eat cheese because they are heavenly and if the gods have provided us with such bounties we must enjoy them.
    Not really questioning if you eat unhealthily I was just making an observation based on what happens if you don't. I ate unhealthily for years and was only really shocked into changing when I started working with Type 2 diabetes sufferers and could see myself getting it. I didn't really realise what a serious condition it was.

It's really easy to develop bad eating habits and much harder to break them. My downfall was cakes and chocolate.
  • Options

MOBY DUCK said:

MOBY DUCK said:

I was at a meeting at work today about T2 (with Dr Rina Davison https://www.diabetes.org.uk/professionals/resources/clinical-champions-and-networks/dr-rina-davison)

where she stated the disease is progressive and will eventually worsen whatever you do. She also said there was no evidence for artificially sweetened fizzy drinks increasing insulin production, which isn't strictly true as I understand it.

Am trying but not too hopeful of reversing it myself, have lost 1 and a half stone, and must make more efforts to lose the last stone. I am cycling again 100 miles a week, and run a bit too. Ive tried fasting too but not managed to do it properly yet (3 times over 3 months), supposed to reset your pancreas cells.

It gives you a bit of hope that someone that far gone reverses it however since they were clearly carrying a huge amount of extra weight it seems to be the root cause, its not so obvious in my case, but you never know.
  • Options
    razil said:

MOBY DUCK said:

MOBY DUCK said:

I was at a meeting at work today about T2 (with Dr Rina Davison https://www.diabetes.org.uk/professionals/resources/clinical-champions-and-networks/dr-rina-davison)

where she stated the disease is progressive and will eventually worsen whatever you do. She also said there was no evidence for artificially sweetened fizzy drinks increasing insulin production, which isn't strictly true as I understand it.

Am trying but not too hopeful of reversing it myself, have lost 1 and a half stone, and must make more efforts to lose the last stone. I am cycling again 100 miles a week, and run a bit too. Ive tried fasting too but not managed to do it properly yet (3 times over 3 months), supposed to reset your pancreas cells.

It gives you a bit of hope that someone that far gone reverses it however since they were clearly carrying a huge amount of extra weight it seems to be the root cause, its not so obvious in my case, but you never know.
    It's much easier to get T2 than people realise - good diet and exercise will help to manage it.

A lot of people I worked with who had it didn't manage it and this obviously had consequences. Asians and Afro-carribeans are more likely to get it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smoothies are likely to have more fruit in than you could eat. Another thing never more than 12 grapes at a time. Perrier Water with lemon has zero calories and tastes good.
  • Options
    Fortunately, chillis are vegetables. Without them, forget it.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    If it grows, walks, swims or flies it is generally good. Aim to eat stuff in its natural form as the more processed it is the less good for you. No need to overcomplicate it as our bodies have been equipped for millions of years to facilitate the unprocessed foods and I would imagine many of problems such as cancers diabetes etc can be partly attributed to introducing processed foods and the junk chemicals that get shoved into them which our systems haven't evolved sufficiently to deal with especially bombarding them for 40 to 50 years with crap.

Also I truly believe that refined sugar is evil and a key cause of an abundance of health issues and would not get passed through food safety standards now and be the billion pound industry it is if it was introduced now.

Try and get out of the mindset that sugar- ladden crap like most sweets, chocolates and ice creams are "treats" but are in fact poisons.

Not many parents would give their kids fags but will shovel sugar down their throats because of decades and billions in advertising has conditioned us to it.

I think refined sugar will be looked back on by our children/ grandchildren's generation in the way the current generation views tobacco in its addiction and potential damage.
  • Options

If it grows, walks, swims or flies it is generally good. Aim to eat stuff in its natural form as the more processed it is the less good for you. No need to overcomplicate it as our bodies have been equipped for millions of years to facilitate the unprocessed foods and I would imagine many of problems such as cancers diabetes etc can be partly attributed to introducing processed foods and the junk chemicals that get shoved into them which our systems haven't evolved sufficiently to deal with especially bombarding them for 40 to 50 years with crap.

Also I truly believe that refined sugar is evil and a key cause of an abundance of health issues and would not get passed through food safety standards now and be the billion pound industry it is if it was introduced now.

Try and get out of the mindset that sugar- ladden crap like most sweets, chocolates and ice creams are "treats" but are in fact poisons.

Not many parents would give their kids fags but will shovel sugar down their throats because of decades and billions in advertising has conditioned us to it.

I think refined sugar will be looked back on by our children/ grandchildren's generation in the way the current generation views tobacco in its addiction and potential damage.

Agree entirely - refined sugar does a lot of damage but the sugar lobbyists carry a lot of power especially in the USA. Corn syrup gets added to everything.
  • Options
    Good work all. It’s really hard to give up foods you enjoy

I don’t tend to have that much sugar in my diet because I don’t have that much of a sweet tooth

In my fact I pretty much eat the same everyday which I know many people find bizarre. Don’t get me wrong I like different tastes, but won’t go out of my way to indulge it

I can understand giving up chocolates and biscuits is a big ask for some
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I don’t tend to have that much sugar in my diet because I don’t have that much of a sweet tooth

In my fact I pretty much eat the same everyday which I know many people find bizarre. Don’t get me wrong I like different tastes, but won’t go out of my way to indulge it

Thanks for your comments cabbage.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

It's the "hidden sugars" that can be the real problem; breakfast cereals, "healthy" cereal bars, nearly all tinned foods, fruit has fructose, milk has lactose.
    That's before you even get to cakes, sweets, biscuits and chocolate.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Thanks for your comments cabbage.
    Ironically I do like raw cabbage
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think i need to pay more attention to this thread.

Aside from going to the gym every morning, eating porridge for breakfast and drinking about 3-4 litres of water a day, the rest of my diet is terrible. Regularly eat mcdonalds, pizza, kebab, KFC etc

Definitely doesn't help living in Dubai where literally every takeaway place delivers.