Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Loooong drive this weekend...

Comments

• Avoid the A27 & A259 if your driving from Portsmouth to Dover, would be quicker going on M3, M25 & M20. It took me over 3 hours to get from Hastings to Portsmouth (90 miles). Worth mentioning though that Southern Trains were on strike and it was the last Friday of the school holidays (1st Sept) so if you do decide to drive that way hopefully it won't be so bad for you...good luck.

Cheers HA, yeah that A27 is a really shite road - about time they did something about that Worthing/Arundel part. Luckily im coming from Heathrow to Pompey (actually Gosport), so intention is M3/M27 and then after i am back to Heathrow again, so wont need to head east.
  • Luckily, the drive in Europe is virtually all in Belgium, which has lights on virtually every motorway, and, unlike France, are free.
  • Stop for a Tommy Tank in every service station you pass.
  • Fly to London city airport and hire a car

Yeah, that would be the obvious choice - but i need to take some 'stuff' back to Lux, and you cant pick up a hire car in UK , and drop it off on the Continent.

He'll be blowing hot air by the time he reaches Dover.
  • Cheers for the podcasts - sounds like a good plan. I'm trying to learn to parlez the lingo so i might download some French lessons podcasts.
  • Swisdom said:

Podcasts

The football ramble back catalogue will do you

Also try The Luke and Pete show. Worth a listen

I’d love to do that drive...bloody love driving

^^^^^^^^^^^

It would look like a pepperami about 1 hour into the journey...
  • Get yourself a nice big bag of coke, some ecstasy and a copy of DJ Hype's Jungle Massive.

You could replace the coke with speed but I've never driven a car whilst on speed so can't vouch for it.

Probably better off with the speed somebody told me once.

• Redrobo said:

Tiredness does kill. When you have to press on, go ultimate on your driving awareness. Mentally imagine you are demonstrating to someone what a good driver you are by explaining what you are doing and what you are aware of. "Checking mirror, red car coming up in fast lane, catching blue car on left, may have slow down, no, red car will be past so will be able to pull out. Etc etc.

It may sound silly, but the advice was given to me by an advanced driving instructor and works for me.

Also would suggest breaking the journey into sensible distances/times and allowing plenty of time for each leg. Depending on traffic I guess you are looking at 5 1/2 hrs to Dover, so a break at Lille for coffee and then lunch on the ferry? Another 6hrs to Wales via M4?. Get round M25 asap and motorway stop on the M4, or turn off at Windsor for a walk. Road works just ahead so best take a break before them. (Start just after Slough).

Take an empty bottle in case you get stuck in traffic and need a pee, red bull, and a flask of Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup.

Good luck and a safe journey.

Alternatively, if you're a bit fussy about what you drink, forget the Red Bull and just recycle the products of your last traffic jam. It'll taste nicer and unless you're diabetic you won't suffer the same sugar rush.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Redrobo said:

Tiredness does kill. When you have to press on, go ultimate on your driving awareness. Mentally imagine you are demonstrating to someone what a good driver you are by explaining what you are doing and what you are aware of. "Checking mirror, red car coming up in fast lane, catching blue car on left, may have slow down, no, red car will be past so will be able to pull out. Etc etc.

It may sound silly, but the advice was given to me by an advanced driving instructor and works for me.

Also would suggest breaking the journey into sensible distances/times and allowing plenty of time for each leg. Depending on traffic I guess you are looking at 5 1/2 hrs to Dover, so a break at Lille for coffee and then lunch on the ferry? Another 6hrs to Wales via M4?. Get round M25 asap and motorway stop on the M4, or turn off at Windsor for a walk. Road works just ahead so best take a break before them. (Start just after Slough).

Take an empty bottle in case you get stuck in traffic and need a pee, red bull, and a flask of Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup.

Alternatively, if you're a bit fussy about what you drink, forget the Red Bull and just recycle the products of your last traffic jam. It'll taste nicer and unless you're diabetic you won't suffer the same sugar rush.
    @Stig surely you have some driving tips.
  • Stig said:

Redrobo said:

@Stig surely you have some driving tips.
    Nothing I could say could top @Macronate 's contribution. That was genius.
  • You could try downloading all the quarterfinal albums from the CharltonLife album challenge thread, to the extent you don’t already have them, and then provide us with a full end to end summary of why you are happy with your original decision and who you think should have won in the event of an unfair result excluding a better album than the one that went through (a dirty win)
  • What a good idea Neil.
  • Avoid the A27 & A259 if your driving from Portsmouth to Dover, would be quicker going on M3, M25 & M20. It took me over 3 hours to get from Hastings to Portsmouth (90 miles). Worth mentioning though that Southern Trains were on strike and it was the last Friday of the school holidays (1st Sept) so if you do decide to drive that way hopefully it won't be so bad for you...good luck.

Cheers HA, yeah that A27 is a really shite road - about time they did something about that Worthing/Arundel part. Luckily im coming from Heathrow to Pompey (actually Gosport), so intention is M3/M27 and then after i am back to Heathrow again, so wont need to head east.
    I think they are going to build a by-pass around Arundel.
  • Get yourself a nice big bag of coke, some ecstasy and a copy of DJ Hype's Jungle Massive.

You could replace the coke with speed but I've never driven a car whilst on speed so can't vouch for it.

Probably better off with the speed somebody told me once.

Tom Waits?
  • Unfortunately Rum, sodomy and the lash by the pogues wasn’t listed if I recall correctly lol.
  • Im not very certain on what rounds these are think that:

Definitely maybe - oasis lost to:
    Nevermind - nirvana

Joni Mitchell - blue lost to:
    Bridge over troubled water - Simon and Garfunkel

Dark side of the moon clearly beat something to be up against revolver by the beatles.

I also didn’t think bridge over troubled water should have made it past ‘rumours’.

Interested to hear where the last stones album (must have been exile on Main Street) got to and where it lost....
  • Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
    Blue - Joni Mitchell
    Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    Nevermind - Nevermind
    Revolver - The Beatles
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
  • tbh i'll give the first three a miss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just keep your phone in your hand so you can browse through Charlton Life on it as you drive.
  • Just keep your phone in your hand so you can browse through Charlton Life on it as you drive.

Cheers SE10 - will do.
  • Quite like bloodnon the tracks but can see why it could be worth a swerve
  • I assume that at 2pm on Sunday you'll be doing one of these four things?

1) At the game
    2) On IFollow/Stream watching the game
    3) Listening to the commentary
    4) Following (and contributing to) the Match Thread

Or is that just me?
  • IS there a game Sunday?
  • I assume that at 2pm on Sunday you'll be doing one of these four things?

1) At the game
    2) On IFollow/Stream watching the game
    3) Listening to the commentary
    4) Following (and contributing to) the Match Thread

Or is that just me?

Its funny you should say that SEY, coz i was looking at the schedule today and wondering how i could possibly fit a visit to The Valley into the schedule. I am taking my daughter on Sunday morning from Greenwich to Wales (Brecon) , dropping her off, and then hacking it back.The only way i can see me possibly doing it is to get her there by 10 , which just aint gonna be on i dont think.
  • Plus i dont think IFollow is possible for this game.
  • sorry missed off the ;). Completely up to you what you do with your sunday. Hope to see you on the match thread.
  • sorry missed off the ;). Completely up to you what you do with your sunday. Hope to see you on the match thread.

Cheers Eddie.
  • Luckily, the drive in Europe is virtually all in Belgium, which has lights on virtually every motorway, and, unlike France, are free.

And on the whole apart from one or two obvious exceptions the Belgiums are far more pleasant than the French