Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Fulham U21 - Match Thread

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Redrobo said:

I bet Jamie Mascoll does not think it is a nothing competition.

A hard working articulate young man that has trained hard to get his opportunity to become a professional footballer; has now had the opportunity to play for the 1st team manager and by the sounds of it, took his chance to impress.

Looking at the few utube bits he looks like he is an attack minded full back who can actually cross a ball! A striker before he went to Dulwich. I hope he continues to develop and makes the 1st team.

Part of the problem is that this was the first team, and it devalues that concept, including statistically. It's been put on a par with, say, a play-off final as an appearance, when clearly it's a hybrid youth/reserve fixture. And that can't be acknowledged by the clubs because the league's aim is to pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options

Redrobo said:

A hard working articulate young man that has trained hard to get his opportunity to become a professional footballer; has now had the opportunity to play for the 1st team manager and by the sounds of it, took his chance to impress.

Looking at the few utube bits he looks like he is an attack minded full back who can actually cross a ball! A striker before he went to Dulwich. I hope he continues to develop and makes the 1st team.

Part of the problem is that this was the first team, and it devalues that concept, including statistically. It's been put on a par with, say, a play-off final as an appearance, when clearly it's a hybrid youth/reserve fixture. And that can't be acknowledged by the clubs because the league's aim is to pretend otherwise.
    Why is that a problem? Certainly not a problem for him personally and I don't think anyone would compare a cup game with a playoff final.

Is it much different from a youth player from Man City having a sub appearance in the FA cup against a non league club? I certainly ignore cup appearances and goals when looking at stats because one has no idea what calibre of team they were up against. With say league goals, you have an idea what they mean, (and then look at penalties!).

As a result of this game he may even get on the bench for our FA cup match at the weekend. Let's look at some positives.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Why is that a problem? Certainly not a problem for him personally and I don't think anyone would compare a cup game with a playoff final.

Is it much different from a youth player from Man City having a sub appearance in the FA cup against a non league club? I certainly ignore cup appearances and goals when looking at stats because one has no idea what calibre of team they were up against. With say league goals, you have an idea what they mean, (and then look at penalties!).

As a result of this game he may even get on the bench for our FA cup match at the weekend. Let's look at some positives.
    It isn't for him personally, obviously, and that isn't my point, although the lack of a crowd must be a disappointment to young players making a debut. I think it's humiliating for Charlton to play a Fulham U21 team and I suspect a majority of fans agree, which is why they had no interest in attending the match.
  • Options

If ever there was a good reason why we should get promoted its this competition. Promotion and we won't have to enter it next year.

Unless we enter an u-21 team!
    We have to be a cat A academy to do that and for that to happen we'd have to finish the building work at Sparrows Lane.

So no chance.
    Perhaps if we were to finish the training ground and fail to go up, we could enter 2 teams?
  • Options
    Plenty of talk on Mascoll, how did Cummings do? Another signed as a young pro in the summer, I didn't expect to see either involved so early so it seems they've settled in quickly.
  • Options
    Cummings had a mixed time. Some good tackles and headers, not bad passer either, but made a few awful errors too. Has promise, nowhere near first-team standard yet though
  • Options

The Valley costs money even when its not open and there are a lot of lower league clubs that would think they’d hit the jackpot with a gate of 741. Making it a bit more worthwhile for fans to go along and put some cash over the counter is what business is all about.

With our fan base there are a lot of older folk that might be able to get along for an afternoon match instead of an evening one. What’s to lose by trying out a game played at mid day or 3pm to see what size gate it attracts ?

They should also have thought about moving the match to last week during half term and playing it at 3pm midweek. A little forward planning never hurts. Christmas is coming and so are the next lot of school holidays. Coinciding one of these matches with that could suit a lot of fans
  • Options

The Valley costs money even when its not open and there are a lot of lower league clubs that would think they’d hit the jackpot with a gate of 741. Making it a bit more worthwhile for fans to go along and put some cash over the counter is what business is all about.

With our fan base there are a lot of older folk that might be able to get along for an afternoon match instead of an evening one. What’s to lose by trying out a game played at mid day or 3pm to see what size gate it attracts ?

They should also have thought about moving the match to last week during half term and playing it at 3pm midweek. A little forward planning never hurts. Christmas is coming and so are the next lot of school holidays. Coinciding one of these matches with that could suit a lot of fans
    You're sounding like KM there.

She had the bright idea of playing games on Friday evenings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017

Eh? That makes no sense. If the costs of opening the stadium for a particular event are higher than the revenue received for that event then it makes no contribution to the running costs of the stadium or the club as a whole. I noticed from a tweet that the club didn't even put traffic management in place last night, but there are costs like the floodlights and stewarding that aren't incurred if the game doesn't take place.

This is why we are playing the FA Youth Cup tie at Welling. It doesn't pay to open The Valley.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options

Highlights if you want to ignore the weird commentary

Did the BNP make this video? Pretty disgusting tbh
    just some fuckwitted kid
  • Options

Pub competition
    At least the fool members Cup was top 2 divs involves this is just embarrassing

And yes i will go to the final and pretend to my sons it means a lot more than how shameful and low we are as a club to be pissing about in this shit

Yes I’m a football snob

That means, as we are in the competition, we are a pub club. It has it’a upside. Giving young players a really competitive game and getting a chance to move through to a Final.......haven’t had too many of those opportunities in decades. Stop living in the past..............

• Options

Nice to see the goals but I that the video should be taken down. Apart from the silly commentary it is also offensive & inflammatory.

Did the BNP make this video? Pretty disgusting tbh
    Will happily remove the video from the top of the page if needbe?

I posted purely to show the Highlights for those of us who hadnt seen the goals and dont have ValleyPass hence why I said that people should ignore the commentary
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I don't think the commentary can be ignored as such I am surprised it hasn't already been removed from CL. Surely we don't want to be sharing his crap.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

If it were up to me, i'd see it completely removed from CL. Surely we don't want to be sharing his crap.

Agreed - Played it safe and removed my original comment with the video if @Pelling1993 and @GolfAddick want to do the same who quoted it?
  • Options
    Who played the pass out wide ahead of the final goal? It was lovely
  • Options

Who played the pass out wide ahead of the final goal? It was lovely

Maloney i believe, looks a very good prospect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017

I'd like to see clubs play games like this at other grounds, Welling or Hamlet would be rocking (well have a bit of atmosphere) rather than rattling around the Valley and it would help the younger players playing in front of fans in all sides of the ground and making a bit more noise.

I don't see these games as humiliating even for Reeves and Marshall but their objective is not so much the winning of a game but an achievement of fitness.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I'd like to see clubs play games like this at other grounds, Welling or Hamlet would be rocking (well have a bit of atmosphere) rather than rattling around the Valley and it would help the younger players playing in front of fans in all sides of the ground and making a bit more noise.

I don't see these games as humiliating even for Reeves and Marshall but their objective is not so much the winning of a game but an achievement of fitness.
    "All Matches (other than the final) shall unless otherwise agreed by the League (in its absolute discretion) be played at the venue registered by the Home Club:
    in the case of EFL Clubs, pursuant to Regulation 13.6; and in the case of Invited Clubs, as the first teams’ Stadium (as that term is defined in the Premier League rules)."

I don't disagree but I think you would find the league would argue that would "devalue" the competition.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

"All Matches (other than the final) shall unless otherwise agreed by the League (in its absolute discretion) be played at the venue registered by the Home Club:
    in the case of EFL Clubs, pursuant to Regulation 13.6; and in the case of Invited Clubs, as the first teams’ Stadium (as that term is defined in the Premier League rules)."

I don't disagree but I think you would find the league would argue that would "devalue" :smirk: the competition.
    Fixed that for you Airman, you omitted the smirk after 'devalue' :wink:
  • Options

Kap10 said:

I don't disagree but I think you would find the league would argue that would "devalue" the competition.
    I think having less than 800 people in a ground that holds 27k does that on its own. Also can't be great for any of the players to be playing like its a behind closed doors game.
  • Options
    Spurs have to play at Wembley?