Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Addicks in Dubai

Geneva Jim will now be Dubai Jim from this weekend so flying back every week will not be an option.

Would be good to know if there are any fellow Charlton fans to share a pint with.

Comments

• Jim, you kept quiet when I was looking for Addicks in Geneva a couple of months ago !
  • I’m in Dubai too.
    Drop me a pm when you get here if you fancy a pint.
  • genevajim said:

Geneva Jim will now be Dubai Jim from this weekend so flying back every week will not be an option.

Would be good to know if there are any fellow Charlton fans to share a pint with.

Hello mate. I'm across in Riyadh but will be doing fairly regular visa refresh trips to Dubai so will let you know.
  • Thanks for the replies chaps much appreciated.

• I trust you'll return for the Truro replay should there be one, Jim?
  • I'm also in Dubai, been here just over 3 years now.

Happy to meet up if you guys arrange anything.
  • Blimey, we've more fans in Dubai than we have in Lewisham!
  • I'm still waiting for this Dubai thing 'on which we want to move ASAP' to come up with something after three weeks of strung out Skype interviews, phone calls, public holidays in Thailand and senior people's holidays. I might make a plan B.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    IdleHans said:

I'm still waiting for this Dubai thing 'on which we want to move ASAP' to come up with something after three weeks of strung out Skype interviews, phone calls, public holidays in Thailand and senior people's holidays. I might make a plan B.

?

Edit- I get it now.
  • Chaps I have been here a week now and getting to know my way around

I am based in Dubai Marina and the best place I have found so far is the Nel Gwyn anyone fancy a beer there ?

Of course I would be more than happy to consider any other venue
  • Beer selection is often an issue I've found in Dubai but there's a place called Tap House on the Palm which is pretty good.
  • This thread seems to have been quiet for a while...any Addicks still in Dubai? Hoping we might actually get some television exposure during the playoffs, does anyone fancy meeting up to watch it?!
  • Not worked there for a while but will be back for a couple of weeks next April and will see if any Charlton are around. 
  • This thread seems to have been quiet for a while...any Addicks still in Dubai? Hoping we might actually get some television exposure during the playoffs, does anyone fancy meeting up to watch it?!
    Raises hand
    Raises hand
    Who'd a thought Dubai had a suburb called Sidcup too.....
  • Ha ha if i had any idea how to change my username i would
  • LenGlover said:
    This thread seems to have been quiet for a while...any Addicks still in Dubai? Hoping we might actually get some television exposure during the playoffs, does anyone fancy meeting up to watch it?!
    Raises hand
    Who'd a thought Dubai had a suburb called Sidcup too.....

It says he's from Sidcup, not lives in Sidcup.   B)
  • Was out there last week, have a good mate there and am normally over once a year. Spent Thursday evening tracking down the new Dubai Arsenal Supporters club bar, I’m sure Dubai Addicks could do much better! 
  • Sponsored links:

• It was quite empty last night approaching half time! Wasn't there as I work in Media City and stay on JBR Walk. Man U , Man C fans everywhere.
  • What happened to @Red_Pete in Dubai Don’t here much from him these days. Always enjoyed his contributions 
  • Is there a Belgian Embassy out there?
  • se9addick said:
    Was out there last week, have a good mate there and am normally over once a year. Spent Thursday evening tracking down the new Dubai Arsenal Supporters club bar, I’m sure Dubai Addicks could do much better! 
    Funnily enough, I watched West Ham v Ars*nal on the huge screen at JBR Walk in January.  Loads of Ars*nal present.  Not a jot of West Ham.
  • Bizarrely I'm in Dubai on business this weekend.
  • I’m currently based in Auckland but very likely work will be relocating me to Dubai at Xmas. 

Any advice on good locations to live, estate agents and schools would be appreciated 
  • jamescafc said:
    I’m currently based in Auckland but very likely work will be relocating me to Dubai at Xmas. 

Any advice on good locations to live, estate agents and schools would be appreciated 
    Hi @jamescafc
    Like any city, there are lots of good areas, it depends what you want and what you can afford (or what your employer is willing to cough up!). Lots of people like JBR, the Marina or the Palm, but it’ll depend on your disposable income (Those places were far too pricey for us, but we’re teachers). Cheaper options are places like The Greens, Springs and Meadows (we lived in the springs) or the ever popular, but slightly further out Arabian Ranches. Other popular, more affordable areas are Motor City, Sports City and DIP.
    A little further out still (by the Emirates Road - the E611) and even cheaper is Remraam and Reem. Remraam is pretty basic and Reem is fairly new, but both were still incomplete when we left Dubai last year, so they had building works ongoing.
    There are many other options of course and all of these are towards the south of the city, which is where most European people go (also, where our school was, so convenient for us). But the City isn’t huge and you’ll find yourself visiting both ends of town no matter where you live.
    I have no idea about which estate agents are good or bad - I think I consider them as much of a muchness!
    As for school recommendations, it’s a pretty cutthroat market out there, but there are some decent non-profit and for-profit schools. Drop me a pm nearer the time and I’ll make enquiries with some trusted colleagues. 
  • jamescafc said:
    I’m currently based in Auckland but very likely work will be relocating me to Dubai at Xmas. 

Key to this will be how much your work are giving you as a relocation package (i assume you will get one if they're making you move to the other side of the world) and subsidising your school fees. Decent schools here are not cheap.

Also depends where your company is based. For example you probably won't want to live in JBR if your company is based downtown near DIFC, and obviously vice versa no point living downtown if your work is based up in JBR or the Marina.
  • edited April 2019

Hi James,
    I have been here in Dubai for 4 years now, and live in the Springs, it is a great location, being close to town and the rental price of the villas have really come a lot over the last few years. I can point you in the right direction of someone who can help you find a property in the Springs area...

My wife is Deputy Head of school over here, so no doubt I can help with a placement, schooling is very expensive, so if you can ensure you have schooling including in your contract that will save you a lot.

Anyway, fellow Dubai Addicks, we should arrange to meet in a bar for the Play Off games, no doubt it will be on Bein Sports somewhere, I am sure we can pre-arrange with a venue, if we can get a decent number, I know there are a few of us now!

• Hi guys,

I'm currently in Riyadh, but because of the visa I have, I have to exit Saudi every 30 days for at least 24 hours, for the purpose of a 'visa refresh' run.

If it doesn't coincide with going home to the UK, I tend to go to the UAE (Abu Dhabi or Dubai; just had 2 nights in Abu Dhabi). When in Dubai, I tend to stay in one of the hotels at Festival City and often head across to the Irish Village. I've also been as far down as the Mall of Dubai and have stayed in the Radisson in Media City.

However, for my next visit (will be early July now), I want to head further down on the metro and stay in the DMCC metro stop area, near the Marina. Just wanted recommendations on the best area to get a hotel. I was looking at either JBR or the Marina area itself.

Cheers.