Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums. QF3: Revolver vs The Dark Side of the Moon

124»

Comments

• Options

Whilst downloading Spotify in readiness for my loooong drive this weekend, i thought i'd listen to Floyds Animals. Another timeless piece - its only Floyd who could make Dog and Pig noises along with drunk Irish security guards sound musically brilliant.

@Addick in SW16 - do you have the list of quarter finalists?, and i'll listen to them on my drive.
    I do indeed:

Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
    Blue - Joni Mitchell
    Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Revolver - The Beatles
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
    A bit pink innit..?
    No Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On'
    No Stevie Wonder's 'innervisions' or 'songs in the key of life, Prince 'Sign o' the times'
    Ninna Simone (any of them)
    Or even little Michael..?
    Innervisions for me...
    Love Stevie and Marvin! Yes, all of the finalists sit firmly within the rock/folk bracket, as those tend to be the genres that have the albums that the majority of contributors prefer. That might have something to do with the background of a lot of posters, which is fine as it's 'CL's Favourite Albums'. The closest was Miles Davis' Kind of Blue with two votes (another album I own and listen to regularly).
  • Options
    Revolver - I'm not a PF fan post Syd.
  • Options

Whilst downloading Spotify in readiness for my loooong drive this weekend, i thought i'd listen to Floyds Animals. Another timeless piece - its only Floyd who could make Dog and Pig noises along with drunk Irish security guards sound musically brilliant.

@Addick in SW16 - do you have the list of quarter finalists?, and i'll listen to them on my drive.
    I do indeed:

Blue - Joni Mitchell
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Revolver - The Beatles
    Without the Doors that list is incomplete for me. But Blood on the tracks is way the best.
  • Options
    Darkside, in this round.

• Options
    edited November 2017

PaddyP17 said:

Personally i wouldnt even go close to the first 3

Then you'll never know how good the first two are.
    And you'll never know how good the last six are, based on your comment immediately preceding...
    I know exactly how good, or bad, the others are. Most of them I'd listened to before you were born.
    So, the same doesnt apply to me then for the first 3 ??
    Not if, as you've said, you won't go close to them.

And why ask what the eight are and then not listen or re-listen to them?
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

And you'll never know how good the last six are, based on your comment immediately preceding...
    I know exactly how good, or bad, the others are. Most of them I'd listened to before you were born.
    The_President's comment equally implies that he's come to his judgement based on listening to all eight, too. So he does know how "good" (or bad or mediocre or amazing or terrible) the first two are, I would think.

... And congratulations on being older than me? Being young doesn't preclude me from this discussion!
    No, I infer the opposite from what the president said.

And no your age doesn't preclude you but lack of memory does. I've commented on all of them in the previous rounds.

This is like handbag fight at a trainspotters convention. For gods sake Roland sell the club the waiting is taking a dreadful toll.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

The_President's comment equally implies that he's come to his judgement based on listening to all eight, too. So he does know how "good" (or bad or mediocre or amazing or terrible) the first two are, I would think.

... And congratulations on being older than me? Being young doesn't preclude me from this discussion!

And no your age doesn't preclude you but lack of memory does. I've commented on all of them in the previous rounds.

This is like handbag fight at a trainspotters convention. For gods sake Roland sell the club the waiting is taking a dreadful toll.
    Except one person wasnt prepared to put his handbag down and had to continue - as usual.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Except one person wasnt prepared to put his handbag down and had to continue - as usual.
    Man's the class bully
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Man's the class bully
    Oh dear, another sense of humour failure.
  • Options
    Okay, so we're pretty close here. Revolver currently in the lead 34 - 30. Voting closes tomorrow evening.
  • Options

Okay, so we're pretty close here. Revolver currently in the lead 34 - 30. Voting closes tomorrow evening.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Revolver
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Man's the class bully
    If you want to call it that, fine. I have a lot of respect for many of your views on football and otherwise, HI - we agree on a lot - but whenever you disagree with someone, you absolutely can't resist making it a bit personal. It's like a compulsion. And it's mean; petty; and annoying.

Your comment about my age was clearly intended as a very veiled, very roundabout dig (i.e. I'm younger and therefore should know my place, or something), and because I like jazz I am therefore a pretentious wanker/musical masturbator/know-it-all, too.

You think you are always right and immediately resort to the ad hominem whenever someone disagrees with you. It's tiring.
  • Options
    Watching DSOTM lose is breaking me right now
  • Options
    edited November 2017

I do indeed:

Blue - Joni Mitchell
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Revolver - The Beatles
    A bit pink innit..?
    No Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On'
    No Stevie Wonder's 'innervisions' or 'songs in the key of life, Prince 'Sign o' the times'
    Ninna Simone (any of them)
    Or even little Michael..?
    Innervisions for me...
    This is a pop/rock list really.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Man's the class bully
    If you want to call it that, fine. I have a lot of respect for many of your views on football and otherwise, HI - we agree on a lot - but whenever you disagree with someone, you absolutely can't resist making it a bit personal. It's like a compulsion. And it's mean; petty; and annoying.

Your comment about my age was clearly intended as a very veiled, very roundabout dig (i.e. I'm younger and therefore should know my place, or something), and because I like jazz I am therefore a pretentious wanker/musical masturbator/know-it-all, too.

You think you are always right and immediately resort to the ad hominem whenever someone disagrees with you. It's tiring.
    Don't judge people by your own behaviour. You're still upset that I don't like jazz so you imagined that I hadn't listened to all the albums. When I pointed out that not only had I heard them but I'd already commented on them you got upset and had another trantrum.

• Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Man's the class bully

Don't judge people by your own behaviour. You're still upset that I don't like jazz so you imagined that I hadn't listened to all the albums. When I pointed out that not only had I heard them but I'd already commented on them you got upset and had another trantrum.

Why did you bring my age into things then?
  • Options
    Revolver my favourite Beatles Album (only just over Sgt Peppers) and Dark Side of the Moon my favourite Pink Floyd Album (just over Wish You were here).
    But overall - think I've got to go with Dark Side of the Moon.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Man's the class bully

Get over it
  • Options
    I wouldn't concern yourself with HI, Paddy. He invariably resorts to ad hominem argument when he's floundering.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Man's the class bully

Get over it
    HI can't remember. Which is an age thing. ;-)
  • Options
    Revolver wins this battle 35 - 31

Last quarter-final will be posted tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your votes and contributions.
  • Options

Revolver wins this battle 35 - 31

Last quarter-final will be posted tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your votes and contributions.

A lot closer than I thought it was gonna be.
  • Options
    WOW, unbelievable result. This is right up there with the votes for Trump and Brexit. It's a mad, mad world! The only comforting thought is that somewhere in a parallel universe people are calling these things correctly.
  • Options
    Stig said:

WOW, unbelievable result. This is right up there with the votes for Trump and Brexit. It's a mad, mad world! The only comforting thought is that somewhere in a parallel universe people are calling these things correctly.

And Stone Roses would still be in the contest :smiley:
  • Options
    Just wondering if there's going to be an award night for this and if the possible winners have it down as a 'must go' in their diaries.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Just wondering if there's going to be an award night for this and if the possible winners have it down as a 'must go' in their diaries.

Yes there will be an award night, Henry and Paddy are going to be the comperes
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Someone celebrated ..?
    https://youtu.be/9E2G3v1e288