Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has there ever been a match at the Valley where the away fans outnumbered the home?

124»

Comments

• The Chelsea match referred to. I think it was an evening match and I remember they started a bonfire in the covered end. Would have stopped the match these days.

The Spurs match when Mark Penfold broke his leg saw the covered end massed with north Londoners but about a dozen Spanners got in amongst them (must have been pre-arranged) and it all kicked off. The Millwall were eased out by stewards but they were picking off Spurs fans in the surrounding roads afterwards. Definitely kept our heads down.

As for the fan who was killed mentioned earlier. He was a Millwall fan who jumped into one of the old enclosed carriages (seats for six of either side) at New Cross Gate after a Millwall v West Ham match. The Hammers fans in the carriage ushered him through and out the other door...into the path of an oncoming train.

I hope the West Ham fan got sentenced for that.
  • Nah them was proper times, the fuzz knew it was just a harmless bit of consensual murder between grown men, nothing that can't be sorted out over a pint or seven
  • (I am actually intrigued to hear these memories and find them fascinating - please keep it up! Just kind of glad I didn't have to live through it myself)
  • McCartney said:

Leicester taking the covered end? Not in my lifetime.

Did Norwich take it one year, about 1971?
    Norwich had the covered end half full about r5 minutes before kick off.
    We were all still in the pub.
    By the time the game kicked off it was about 50.50 Charlton and Norwich.
    Defo us on top by the time the game finished.
    Happy days.
    My first game in the covered end and me and my Dad stood with a charming Norwich family who had come to the game. From memory this was because it was pissing down with rain before KO rather than any attempt by Norwich to take the CE though I was only 7 so may be wrong. It was Easter and we won though.

Early doors all the Norwich were on the terrace by the side of the West Stand, I don't remember it raining but it possibly was because all of a sudden all the Norwich moved from the west terrace into the front of the Covered End. Very few Charlton in the ground at that point (why I wasn't in the pub i don't know) but in the end plenty of Charlton & plenty of pushing & shoving & a few punches thrown here & there but I don't remember a huge amount of violence. As RayTreacy mentions a bit of a draughty journey home for Norwich as all the windows in their many coaches were put through.
  • Leuth said:

(I am actually intrigued to hear these memories and find them fascinating - please keep it up! Just kind of glad I didn't have to live through it myself)

You'd have been fine, big strapping lad like you, we've all lived to tell the tale :wink:@SoundAsa£ is your man if you want some 60's memories.
  • I'm sure I would have been fine. But it would have crushed my spirit to have had to fill a sock with snooker balls and break a few heads. I would have been like Tony Soprano except twice as tortured
  • Leuth said:

I'm sure I would have been fine. But it would have crushed my spirit to have had to fill a sock with snooker balls and break a few heads. I would have been like Tony Soprano except twice as tortured

No weapons in them days (generally speaking).
  • Leuth said:

I'm sure I would have been fine. But it would have crushed my spirit to have had to fill a sock with snooker balls and break a few heads. I would have been like Tony Soprano except twice as tortured

No weapons in them days (generally speaking).
    Had to dodge the odd bottle and brick away to QPR early 70's on the way back to the tube. Done them 4-1 so naturally they got a bit upset. Happy days :smiley:
  • Early 70s a bit to young. Late 70s early 80s more my era. Unfortunately my memory is shit. Come on Tavern remind me of what we use to get up to.
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember being in the covered end for the West Ham game, it was a bit odd as loads of people had no colours on.
    Then the whole end erupted into i'm forever blowing bubbles.....at the age of 13 it was time to leave.
    I was also in the covered end for the Sheffield Wednesday game when they charged it, one of our lot was shouting "stand your ground, STAND YOUR GROUND" I ran like hell lol. I was also at the Chelsea game with both my parents ....we left early.
  • I am with MrDick on this. I was at at the majority of the games mentioned above and believe Charlton fans were the majority in every case AT THE VALLEY. It might not have seemed it because of the noise and behaviour of large numbers of visiting fans but our fans would also come out in big numbers for these matches. The silent majority are usually just that, although the goals we thumped in against Chelsea and Spurs on those memorable days were well celebrated even if many of our fans were looking over their shoulders when they did so.
  • As regards the Spurs match in 77 it was about 20 Spanners and Charlton that made a lot Spurs fans in the Covered End run- had two mates in that group. We also played West Ham in the league, I think about 1980. Not many in the Covered End wearing scarves, and when we started singing the majority turned on us and the fists started flying - got nicked and "imprisoned" in the hut behind the Covered End until half time; then driven about a mile away by the Old Bill and dumped on a street corner. Let off pretty lightly i thought