Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has there ever been a match at the Valley where the away fans outnumbered the home?

Comments

• Options
    Out of interest, why was Pompey away support so big in mid 70s?

Seems strange many think that was the biggest away following at The Valley, given other opposition
  • Options

Leicester taking the covered end? Not in my lifetime.

Did Norwich take it one year, about 1971?
    Norwich had the covered end half full about r5 minutes before kick off.
    We were all still in the pub.
    By the time the game kicked off it was about 50.50 Charlton and Norwich.
    Defo us on top by the time the game finished.
    Happy days.

Seems strange many think that was the biggest away following at The Valley, given other opposition

The magic of the FA Cup at the time. They had about 300 a month before for the Boxing day league match.
  • Options

From memory it wouldn't of taken many Pompey supporters to outnumber us on that day, Total attendance of 31,000 were at Fratton Park for the reply though.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

From memory it wouldn't of taken many Pompey supporters to outnumber us on that day, Total attendance of 31,000 were at Fratton Park for the reply though.
    And we won- a very happy evening, listening to some crap reception update somewhere on the radio
  • Options

Happy days.
    I think the coach journey home would have been rather cold for the Norwich fans
    unless they managed to get replacement coaches as they were all smashed up
  • Options
    And then , for r5 we took 8 - 10,000 to Wolves, as bb says, magic of the cup at the time, really was
  • Options
    This thread helps me understand why my dad has such a different view of football to me. He virtually stopped going by the end of the 77/78 season and I don't think he realises that the game has changed. When I was going in the 90s he would always be worried about me and couldn't believe it when I took a girl to a game.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

There was 26k for the first game against Pompey at the Valley.

A few weeks earlier for the home league game against Pompey the attendance was 10k. The Sheff Weds round 3 game attracted 12k including a fair few from West Yorkshire.

Based on those figures, its fair to say Pompey probably pipped us that day, they packed the south terrace and never stopped with their Pompey chimes all game. Also remember the huge number of their coaches parked up on just about every street around the Valley.
  • Options

Shrew said:

There was 26k for the first game against Pompey at the Valley.

A few weeks earlier for the home league game against Pompey the attendance was 10k. The Sheff Weds round 3 game attracted 12k including a fair few from West Yorkshire.

Based on those figures, its fair to say Pompey probably pipped us that day, they packed the south terrace and never stopped with their Pompey chimes all game. Also remember the huge number of their coaches parked up on just about every street around the Valley.
    Yes, but I only recall them packing out the south terrace and we had the rest, so I doubt they had more than us, but who knows for certain ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Leuth said:

Probably fair.

And if a load of twats tried to 'take' the Covered End now I'd probably try to defend the people being attacked. Mind you I've never seen anything like it since I started going. I guess there was that one family of Wednesday fans who got kicked out

Being a keeper what's your punching like then :wink:
  • Options
    In the week leading up to the Pompey game, one of the Red Tops had a story about them bringing 10,000 up, the general reaction was yeah, right, but I think they had that and a few more. Still baffles me, it was hardly like Charlton were in the first division, or they hadn’t been there before...the Cup was massive in those days but it was still a big, big turnout. To be fair, if Mike Flanagan hadn’t given the ball away we would have chalked it up as a comfortable 1-0, I still think those who went to the replay deserve a medal.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

In the week leading up to the Pompey game, one of the Red Tops had a story about them bringing 10,000 up, the general reaction was yeah, right, but I think they had that and a few more. Still baffles me, it was hardly like Charlton were in the first division, or they hadn’t been there before...the Cup was massive in those days but it was still a big, big turnout. To be fair, if Mike Flanagan hadn’t given the ball away we would have chalked it up as a comfortable 1-0, I still think those who went to the replay deserve a medal.

True BW , but once we turned them over, we took 000's to Wolves, think the fact that Cup final was only live tv club game of season, build up was all day on the box, just had people dreaming of the twin towers, plus games were very rarely played there, England, Cup Final and LC final was it.
  • Options

Me and a couple of mates went to the replay and for a while it seemed like we were the only ones but by the time the 3rd goal went in it was clear there were others that made the trip. The station afterwards was a bit lively but we were helped by the fact that there were so many charlton and Portsmouth fans trying to get in the station you’d have been hard pressed to squeeze a fart out let alone swing a punch.
  • Options

Given what we were averaging and what you would expect in turnout for big games - e.g. the 24,000 for Preston - I've never been persuaded by the idea we were outnumbered by Chelsea or Spurs. I was there but it's hard to be objective.

Remember we had 33,000 for QPR in the LC - does anyone think they brought, say, 17,000? I think you got a lot more neutrals in those days.

I was staggered that QPR night, only a couple of hundred visible - they were top of the league (Top division)

Was at the Spurs Chelsea 4 goal games, they were in CE but doubt had more in ground than us.

Pompey was biggest away support I can recall at the Valley, in answer to previous poster, probably reason they didn't try to take it was that it was full up at 1.45. Sheff Wed had come rolling into an empty CE at 1.30 the previous round.

Obviously, these are long old memories and not claiming to be spot on, but sure fairly accurate.
    Your'e spot on regarding Pompey, I was caged up with a lot of Pompey Fans by about 2.10 in the old medical hut after getting collared in the Covered end..they ejected me and one other Charlton Fan at about 3.15 at the Covered End entrance and the Pompey fans who outnumbered us by about 10-1(in the hut) at the other end. I waited until just after half time and got back in. The word was put around after the Wednesday game to get in early to avoid getting taken again with no resistance.

Sunderland too had a huge away following...im pretty sure it was televised and Charlton streamed across the pitch at the end of the game to get to the Mackems.

For me I think probably Chelsea had the biggest yob element Ive seen at the Valley, closely followed by West Ham in 76 and Spurs in 77. Notably both Southampton and Cardiff took big numbers but they didnt get anywhere near the Covered end.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Proper times. A man could punch a man and everyone agreed it was ok. You knew where you were with people then. Taking each other's home stands, punching each other, learning how to live. Today's children couldn't even find their way into a stand let alone punch their way through it. Soft.

Impossible to explain what it was like to younger people as the world has changed.
    But it was what it was and I lived through it and I certainly ain't gonna apologise for what happened.
    When football had passion, unlike now.
  • Options
    yeah i just sit and do graphic design. if we win a corner i turn half an eye to the pitch
  • Options
    I was at a Charlton Chelsea match at the Valley around 78-79 which was a relegation season for us and promotion for them, It felt as if the entire ground was Chelsea - our lot in the covered end were stuffed into one corner and where I was on the East terrace was predominantly Chelsea.
  • Options
    Photos of the Spurs game show the size of the crowd
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My work colleague, a Spurs fan, came with me to the Kettering match. I am claiming him as "the one". Not only in the crowd but we have been married for 27 years and now he is an Addick.

But two of my school friends came along and stood in the Kettering end so that makes 8,002 vs 7,999
    But did you marry one or both of them?
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Photos of the Spurs game show the size of the crowd

I was about 10, I remember being in my usual place at the front of the east stand by the half way line. I was used to quite a lot of space around me, on this occasion it really was packed. Such a game from Flash. I had also forgot that this was the match when Mark Penfold broke his leg, such a shame he was playing so well and looked a really good prospect.
  • Options
    I got in the ground at five to three at the Spurs game, walked along the main gangway on the East terrace and the first place I could get in was behind the south east floodlight. If that crowd was 30,000 then Selhurst Park really is a 20 minute bus ride from Charlton:-)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    We got in at 13.30 at the Lansdowne Mews turnstiles and the ground was filling up quickly. It was obvious then that the crowd was going to be huge that day.
  • Options

Happy days.
    My first game in the covered end and me and my Dad stood with a charming Norwich family who had come to the game. From memory this was because it was pissing down with rain before KO rather than any attempt by Norwich to take the CE though I was only 7 so may be wrong. It was Easter and we won though.

• Options

Thats what I was thinking
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

1969, I think. We lost 5-1
    Yes we lost 1-5 mike Kenning at Left back for some bizarre reason. No way did Leicester take the Covered End
  • Options

It was said at the time they brought 15000, I didn't have time to count but they covered the South Terrace not saying they PACKED the south but definately the biggest away support I've seen at Charlton. Believe in the same era they took 12000 to Anfield midweek for a league cup tie
  • Options
    Shrew said:

& we hammered them 3 - 0 in the pouring rain, a bit dodgy after the game :neutral:
  • Options
    The Chelsea match referred to. I think it was an evening match and I remember they started a bonfire in the covered end. Would have stopped the match these days.

The Spurs match when Mark Penfold broke his leg saw the covered end massed with north Londoners but about a dozen Spanners got in amongst them (must have been pre-arranged) and it all kicked off. The Millwall were eased out by stewards but they were picking off Spurs fans in the surrounding roads afterwards. Definitely kept our heads down.

As for the fan who was killed mentioned earlier. He was a Millwall fan who jumped into one of the old enclosed carriages (seats for six of either side) at New Cross Gate after a Millwall v West Ham match. The Hammers fans in the carriage ushered him through and out the other door...into the path of an oncoming train.