Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Radio Presenter Suspended

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

I’ll tell you what, mannish, Steve and Leroy would never get caught doing something like this. Shows the difference between the football league show and football league tonight

On a serious note I find this all proper wrong’un behaviour. I would absolutely hate to have a reputation in the workplace as like a sleaze or someone women think creepy or something.

Surely blokes can read when there is a natural attraction versus being a pervert.

Too true, @Candypants
  • Options
    I am a bit shocked that it is somebody relatively young, I expect that back in The 70s and 80s this kind of stuff was rife. In this day and age you hope it is rare.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    cfgs said:

I am a bit shocked that it is somebody relatively young, I expect that back in The 70s and 80s this kind of stuff was rife. In this day and age you hope it is rare.

Agreed, staggered that it's someone that young, who would surely know
    A) it's wrong, and
    B ) you can't get away with that sort of behaviour these days

I bet C5 are glad they dumped him from their football coverage!
  • Options
    Why did Channel 5 dump him?
  • Options
    Have worked in loads of places and never come across this type of behaviour - guy must be a complete bellend if true.
  • Options
    2 men suspended but only 1 named. Why? Is the other guy not known, (as in not on screen talent) or would different accusations bring different rules about being named.
  • Options
    DMGT - the organisation that owns the Daily Mail, the Mail on Sunday and many other newspapers, radio stations and other media properties - must obviously be very, very certain that there are no predatory skeletons lurking in their cupboards. Otherwise there could well be charged of hypocrisy aimed at the company who publishes the world's best-visited news website, which is populated with the fearfully misogynistic "sidebar of shame".

Pots and kettles, anyone?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

DMGT - the organisation that owns the Daily Mail, the Mail on Sunday and many other newspapers, radio stations and other media properties - must obviously be very, very certain that there are no predatory skeletons lurking in their cupboards. Otherwise there could well be charged of hypocrisy aimed at the company who publishes the world's best-visited news website, which is populated with the fearfully misogynistic "sidebar of shame".

To be fair their whole editorial team and journalists have spent the last 20 years trying squeeze as much out of Diana’s death there’s been no time for anything else
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Chizz said:

The Daily Mail sexual objectifies women every day through their side bar of shame, as you point out, and the paps who take all the pictures are tantamount to harassment at times. They also have a massive hardon for any remotely negative story about the BBC because their owner wants it abolished so no surprise they're all over this story.

The areas where sexually abuse has been able to thrive are areas where people a) really want to work or be, and b) have huge competition for their job so are reluctant to rock the boat and lose out on their dream.

Film (Weinstein), TV (Saville), and radio are all work places that fit that bill. Journalism would be another one so I'd be amazed if this sort of thing hasn't been going on at some time at all of the major print houses.
  • Options
    I seem to remember Riley being very holier than thou over the Chris Gayle incident with the female interviewer.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Why did Channel 5 dump him?

To employ Colin Murray.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

We employed a young muslim lad a few years ago, he started off keen and enthusiastic however his attitude changed towards the girls and women in our office as he felt they were beneath him and not as good as him. Looking back it appeared to be a typical view of a muslim male concerning women.

It started to irritate us as bosses but we were aware we had to tread carefully without the PC brigade coming down on us. However he helped us out big time when he approached several girls at the photo copier asking if they would like a "shoulder rub". We monitored this when we were informed and spotted a pattern that he would jump up and go to the copier when certain girls were at the machine.

Job done, we sacked his sorry arse and kicked him out, never heard another word.

Fixed that for you.
    You didn't have to.
  • Options
    The BBC is keeping very quiet about this affair and have not, that I have heard, named Riley as the suspended employee .. you can bet that if the 'accused' worked for Murdoch, Trump, ITV or any other organisation of supposed ill repute, then the 'employee' concerned would have been named on the half hour every half hour in the news bulletins .. (I am sure that I'll be corrected if this is wrong)

Auntie Beeb is in many ways a wonderful organisation, equally it can be far too self righteous and blind to its own faults .. the philosophy seems to be that if the BBC powers that be ignore the problem and give it no publicity, it will either go away or not even exist at all.
    As the major UK provider of news and current affairs reporting, this is just not good enough
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

It’s completely mental that someone can walk around their office putting their hand up skirts. I’ve always worked for law firms so may be that’s why I’ve never heard of complaints like that.

Has anyone else ever heard stories like this in an office environment?

Oh a security guard once got sacked as it was discovered he had drilled a peephole between gents and ladies. Can’t think of anything else in 30 years. Financial wrongdoing yes but not hands up skirts

I've worked for a law firm all my adult life, and only heard stories of the odd dodgy character (usually not a lawyer but someone in business services) but never whilst I've been there. Previous to that had a teenage job as a canvasser for a double glazing company... The salesmen were the creepiest slimiest scummiest stereotypes it is possible to imagine.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

We employed a young muslim lad a few years ago, he started off keen and enthusiastic however his attitude changed towards the girls and women in our office as he felt they were beneath him and not as good as him. Looking back it appeared to be a typical view of a muslim male concerning women.

It started to irritate us as bosses but we were aware we had to tread carefully without the PC brigade coming down on us. However he helped us out big time when he approached several girls at the photo copier asking if they would like a "shoulder rub". We monitored this when we were informed and spotted a pattern that he would jump up and go to the copier when certain girls were at the machine.

Job done, we sacked his sorry arse and kicked him out, never heard another word.

Fixed that for you.
    I'm PC gone mad made flesh, but the original post wasn't wrong. Know several female teachers who particularly get that attitude from young Muslim men. Obviously there are many Muslim men who that doesn't apply to, but there is a particular attitude that's unique
  • Options

The BBC is keeping very quiet about this affair and have not, that I have heard, named Riley as the suspended employee .. you can bet that if the 'accused' worked for Murdoch, Trump, ITV or any other organisation of supposed ill repute, then the 'employee' concerned would have been named on the half hour every half hour in the news bulletins .. (I am sure that I'll be corrected if this is wrong)

Auntie Beeb is in many ways a wonderful organisation, equally it can be far too self righteous and blind to its own faults .. the philosophy seems to be that if the BBC powers that be ignore the problem and give it no publicity, it will either go away or not even exist at all.
    As the major UK provider of news and current affairs reporting, this is just not good enough

I'll correct you then. He was named on the BBC news website before 8:00 this morning and his name has been in several radio bulletins I've caught during the day. Certainly before your post this afternoon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Beeb aint got a very good track record when it comes to sexual deviants and outright nonces though has it?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    not sure about that mate i herd tht the BBC were voted the best company to work for ---------- mind u that was inmates from Belmarsh nonce ward
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Fixed that for you.
    Why did you do that? It didnt need fixing.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I think we can rule out Graham Norton

Not a DJ, and I take exception at your homophobic innuendo.
    Don’t be a tool. There’s zero homophobia there. Purely logical that he thinks we can rule out a gay person from sexually assaulting women.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Riviera said:

Don’t be a tool. There’s zero homophobia there. Purely logical that he thinks we can rule out a gay person from sexually assaulting women.
    You ever watched Gok Wang?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

I'll correct you then. He was named on the BBC news website before 8:00 this morning and his name has been in several radio bulletins I've caught during the day. Certainly before your post this afternoon.
    on what station ? ... and if he was named on the website this morning, there is no mention that I can find now .. can you display the page for me ? .. I've found a little piece which states that the Sunday Times has reported that Riley has been suspended, but the BBC and Riley have refused to comment .. so the BBC is not mentioning that Riley is under investigation, just that the press is reporting that he is under investigation .. obfuscation at its best
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    He was named on a single night time bulletin last night on Five Live. Recently Nicky Campbell has been talking him up on the Breakfast show and he was given extra billing and time.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Riviera said:

Oh for goodness sake!!! World has gone mad, levity is now banned.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Curb_It said:

It’s completely mental that someone can walk around their office putting their hand up skirts. I’ve always worked for law firms so may be that’s why I’ve never heard of complaints like that.

Has anyone else ever heard stories like this in an office environment?

Oh a security guard once got sacked as it was discovered he had drilled a peephole between gents and ladies. Can’t think of anything else in 30 years. Financial wrongdoing yes but not hands up skirts

I've worked for a law firm all my adult life, and only heard stories of the odd dodgy character (usually not a lawyer but someone in business services) but never whilst I've been there. Previous to that had a teenage job as a canvasser for a double glazing company... The salesmen were the creepiest slimiest scummiest stereotypes it is possible to imagine.
    Many people in sales are ‘taught’ how to ‘manipulate’ prospects into parting with their money. A lot of the skills required to make a sale are the same as talking a potential partner into bed. Sadly sometimes success with women leads people to believe that all women must, naturally, fall for their charms.

People with exceptional success with women, including celebrities, seem to be unable to tell the difference between acceptable charm and overstepping the mark. The most frightening thing about this is that these people don’t, actually, realise that what they are doing is wrong - they genuinely believe that their ‘advances’ are always welcome.

I’m not saying that all sales people, or celebrities, assume that they can touch the bodies of any women they like, but some, clearly do. The conversation that Trump got into trouble about when he talked about it being ok to grab a lady’s private parts only scratches the surface of just how many men think that it is ok.

Only by education will these men ever understand, which is why, I imagine, that lawyers tend not to do it - most people in Law firms will be highly educated.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Fixed that for you.
    It did not need fixing thank you. We have plentry of non Muslim guys in the office who respected their female workers a lot more than this guy did and to the best of my knowledge none of those guys demand their wives and girlfriends cover their faces when going out and ban them from entering the places they worship.