Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bitcoin

Comments

• Options

ads said:

I put £24 in a couple of weeks ago and then when I decided not to hire a hit man I left it in there. Now it's worth £45.

I wish I'd put £24k in now!

£24 for a hitman? What does he do for that? Give him a crank call?
    Bloody Eastern European hitmen undercutting our own hard working assasins. Shame on anyone who employs the filthy scabs.
    Uber Dispute Reconciliation, open the app and choose your victim and a DBS checked partner will administer a leathering
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I’ve cashed out...... which means it’ll rocket! But a profits a profit, very happy.

Fair play, I think it’ll go back down in the next few days and slowly grow again which tends to be the par for bitcoin after an explosion in valuation
  • Options
    ads said:

I put £24 in a couple of weeks ago and then when I decided not to hire a hit man I left it in there. Now it's worth £45.

I wish I'd put £24k in now!

£24 for a hitman? What does he do for that? Give him a crank call?
    It's difficult to find a hitman these days. All the ones I knew are too old now...
  • Options
    I'm clearly a market mover, down 14% today.

It'll be a roller coaster ride I suspect, as always with this type of thing, invest what you can happily afford to lose. I won't dip in again until it's sub 8k USD, that said I can see it sliding much further.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I would summarise my current view why I own some despite massive scepticism as follows - for various reasons there is a very high probability that Bitcoin will ultimately be worthless (govt regulation, no central backer of last resort, hacking risk, competition etc.)

However there is a very small probability that the blockchain technology and limited supply aspects are sufficiently robust that it does indeed become recognised as an alternative store of value - if this occurs it could be worth many times more than the current price.

For example if it ultimately reached a valuation equivalent to say 20% of the current value of all the world's gold (20% x $7.2tn = $1.4tn) then the value of a Bitcoin would be $666k ($1.4tn/21m) or 67x the current $10k price.

Thus if you thought the above scenario had a greater than 1.5% probability ($666k x 1.5% = $10k) then buying Bitcoin today has a positive expected value even though in the vast majority of scenarios you will lose everything.
  • Options
    @newyorkaddick

A most interesting angle, as usual. Would I be impertinent to ask what % of your savings/investments you have put into bitcoin? And do you own any gold, if so, in what form? Actual bars or something else?

I heard a guy on R4 this morning say "it's a commodity, not a currency" which I found helpful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@newyorkaddick

A most interesting angle, as usual. Would I be impertinent to ask what % of your savings/investments you have put into bitcoin? And do you own any gold, if so, in what form? Actual bars or something else?

I heard a guy on R4 this morning say "it's a commodity, not a currency" which I found helpful.

I agree, at this stage consider it as commodity trading.
  • Options

@newyorkaddick

Approx 0.5% in Bitcoin (via the Sweden-listed tracker) and 5% in gold (via ETFs).
  • Options

I would summarise my current view why I own some despite massive scepticism as follows - for various reasons there is a very high probability that Bitcoin will ultimately be worthless (govt regulation, no central backer of last resort, hacking risk, competition etc.)

However there is a very small probability that the blockchain technology and limited supply aspects are sufficiently robust that it does indeed become recognised as an alternative store of value - if this occurs it could be worth many times more than the current price.

For example if it ultimately reached a valuation equivalent to say 20% of the current value of all the world's gold (20% x $7.2tn = $1.4tn) then the value of a Bitcoin would be $666k ($1.4tn/21m) or 67x the current $10k price.

Thus if you thought the above scenario had a greater than 1.5% probability ($666k x 1.5% = $10k) then buying Bitcoin today has a positive expected value even though in the vast majority of scenarios you will lose everything.

Bitcoin cannot be regulated. It’s basically it’s main and ultimately only attraction.

I’d put more resources into ethereum which has more of a functioning future imo.
  • Options

Bitcoin cannot be regulated. It’s basically it’s main and ultimately only attraction.

I’d put more resources into ethereum which has more of a functioning future imo.
    Governments can just make it illegal for its citizens to own Bitcoin
  • Options

Which isn’t regulation. It’s criminalisation. Which seems to be driving the value of bitcoin up even higher.
  • Options

Like they did in China, want to know what the result was, business as normal. I can exchange cash for bitcoins within minutes, whenever I want.
  • Options

Like they did in China, want to know what the result was, business as normal. I can exchange cash for bitcoins within minutes, whenever I want.
    Online gambling is illegal in China also - oh hang on a minute ....
  • Options
    China is also communist. Apparently.
  • Options
    sell them today thats my advice
  • Options
    Does anyone use Coinbase? I have downloaded the app, but I am struggling to find any useful information about the typical charges they apply. Anyone know roughly how much they equate to?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Does anyone use Coinbase? I have downloaded the app, but I am struggling to find any useful information about the typical charges they apply. Anyone know roughly how much they equate to?

They take a small percentage (3-4% iirc) of any transaction you make.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Online gambling is illegal in China also - oh hang on a minute ....
    You bastards closed my account due to suspicious vpn use!!!!!!
  • Options
    I’ve got a whole load of Dutch tulips I’d like to exchange for bitcoin, can I get a good price?
  • Options

China didn't ban it outright, just the trading of it on exchanges and the use of ICOs (initial coin offerings).
  • Options
    14,000 USD...

Seems unsustainable?
  • Options
    Sorry it's actually 14,483 according to Google.
  • Options
    Someone said yesterday that $5000 is minimum investment now. Is that right?

Was looking at historic rates and dreaming of investing £50 back in 2011
  • Options
    I thought that at 10,000. some people saying could go up to anything near 40k
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to get your money from Bitcoin into your UK bank account? seem to need to transfer it into my euro account. Not sure what to do next, a lot of people seem to have problems with it from what I've seen online
  • Options
    I should confess that in the example calculation I posted above, if all of the 21m Bitcoin which will eventually be in circulation become worth 20% of the all of the world's gold then they would be worth approx. $66k each and not $666k (apologies, got confused by all of the zeroes!).

Either way, that's still another 400% from here though the risk/reward attractiveness of owning it here is diminishing by the day.