Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gallbladder Removal

As alluded to on another thread, I picked up an infection in my Gallbladder whilst on holiday and am currently waiting for it to be removed. Apparently I'm unusual in two respects, in that I am in my twenties and that I didn't have gallstones. So it's still under investigation as to the root cause of the infection.

Has anyone had their Gallbladder removed?

The Doctors have been great but keep fobbing me off to speak to a nutritionist about what my diet should looks like post removal. 'Low Fat' seems to be order of the day, but does that mean Saturated fats? Or am I going to keel over if I have an Avocado?

Essentially, I'm hoping the fountain of knowledge of here might be able to give me an idea of their own experiences and what adjustments you've made (if any) following removal of it?

Any advice warmly welcomed!

Comments

• In terms of diet, my only advice would be to speak to a medically trained nutritionist, as advised by your doctors.
  • edited October 2017
    A friend of mine had his removed a couple of years ago (by key hole surgery) - the only thing he has changed is....he eats 5 smaller meals a day rather than 3 larger ones. Other than that, it’s business as usual for him.
  • A friend of mine had his removed a couple of years ago (by key hole surgery) - the only thing he has changed is....he eats 5 smaller meals a day rather than 3 larger ones. Other than that, it’s business as usual for him.

Pretty much the same a my friend...she had hers removed (27-28yrs old)...last time I saw her she was fine and said the Op had made little difference to her.
  • edited October 2017

Your username suggests you'll get through this just fine!!

Unless the I in fittist was meant to be an A.
  • Had mine out back in 2010 - keyhole surgery (just 4 small scars in the belly - quite tidy really). Quite a painless procedure and recovery.. No noticeable problems since tbh. That said I do 'try' to eat healthier and moderate my food intake (always had a very healthy appetite), although still have a beer or three , curry and fry up on occasions.
  • Had my gall bladder removed and really made little difference to my diet, surgery was quick and easy. When the pancreas was removed that made a difference! One wasn't related to the other you'll be glad to know.
  • edited October 2017
    A couple years ago I was talking to a friend when she started having serious stomach pains. I told her it was probably indigestion or a nasty stomach bug and she'd be ok and to just sleep it off and I'd see her the next day at work.

Turns out in the middle of the night she had to go to the hospital to have her gallbladder removed.

Still don't understand why they don't let me practice medicine in this country...

But yeah she has echoed what others have already said. Easy surgery, no real life change. She was 27 when she had hers out.

Good luck to you mate. Sometimes the waiting is the hardest part and you'll feel better after it's done.
  • As alluded to on another thread, I picked up an infection in my Gallbladder whilst on holiday and am currently waiting for it to be removed. Apparently I'm unusual in two respects, in that I am in my twenties and that I didn't have gallstones. So it's still under investigation as to the root cause of the infection.

The Doctors have been great but keep fobbing me off to speak to a nutritionist about what my diet should looks like post removal. 'Low Fat' seems to be order of the day, but does that mean Saturated fats? Or am I going to keel over if I have an Avocado?

Essentially, I'm hoping the fountain of knowledge of here might be able to give me an idea of their own experiences and what adjustments you've made (if any) following removal of it?

Make this Christmas a good one.
  • As alluded to on another thread, I picked up an infection in my Gallbladder whilst on holiday and am currently waiting for it to be removed. Apparently I'm unusual in two respects, in that I am in my twenties and that I didn't have gallstones. So it's still under investigation as to the root cause of the infection.

Defy doctors orders and eat more Avocados because they're fucking delicious and life is too short.
  • Sponsored links:

Lol, the way my missus has handled it I’ll be gone well before that!
  • Had mine out years ago. I don’t remember anyone telling me to change my diet, which is odd, because every time I go to the doctor, that’s always on the list.

Surgery was a quick keyhole. I was home 3 hours after the scheduled start time.
  • Thanks everyone.

I’m aware that I’ll have to be much more conscious around my diet and be more consistent than I’ve been previously, but obviously want to live life and still be able to enjoy myself occasionally.

I’m booked in with the nutritionist on Friday but it’s good to hear it hasn’t impacted others too much on their day to day lives.
  • Had mine removed. Simple keyhole procedure.

Apart from being told to eat a healthy diet (cut down on sausages/burgers/processed food) I did not really change anything as my diet was ok. Before the op I only had to eat 2 sausages and I ended up in agony, bent double and holding onto a chair to avoid collapsing. Been fine since. I still have the stones in a jar as a reminder - surgeon said he rarely sees so many!!