Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Denis Law (Still with us).

Denis Law will today be guest of honour at Huddersfield for the home tie v Man Utd. Law played for Huddersfield under Bill Shankly before moving to Manchester United (via Man City and Torino) - a simply sensational player.

He could head the ball like Matt Tees, but I’m afraid the comparison ends there. Law was also magnificent with the ball at his feet. At 77 he is no fan of the constant stream of statistics associated with the modern game. He is strictly old school, believing in scoring more goals than the opposition through attacking football, as was the edict of Shankly and Busby.

In October 1971 Law was at Huddersfield scoring for Man Utd in a 0 3 win that also saw Best and Charlton’s names on the score sheet - the last time that the ‘holy trinity’ would feature on the same score sheet.

Hope he enjoys his day, he gave so much pleasure to football supporters everywhere, no matter who they may have supported. What a player,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGsqQvJ_xo

Comments

• Options
    I thought he had passed over
  • Options

I thought he had passed over

Thanks NLA edited
  • Options
    did he play against us when we beat huddersfield 7-6?
  • Options
    The same Dennis Law that spent the majority of his career living and playing in England, yet when we won the WC, went out of his way to tell everyone how gutted he was and apparantly threw away the clubs he was using to play golf on the day.

Then said he deliberately went abroad during Euro 96 and would do the same if we had been awarded the WC in 2018.

Wouldn't expect him to want England to win at all but might have thought about keeping his gob shut, considering all the English fans that had paid to watch him over the years.

Great player but a wanker in my eyes.
  • Options
    was my first football hero when a boy.Always played with a smile on his face. Lost a bit of the hero worship after reading in his auto biography that he went to play golf the day of the 1966 World cup as he couldnt face seeing the English win it !
    Didnt he score a back healed goal for Man City against Man U which relegated Utd ?
  • Options
    A great player who I saw many times but as Dave Mehmet says he had an anyone but England complex .
    He was not in the 7-6 game.
  • Options
    johnlambs said:

No but Ray Wilson (England '66) did.

Think a lot of Law's comments re England were said with a sense of mischief and humour.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I did see him play against us at the Valley during my first full season 1959/60 before moving to Man City. Was a stand out animated character during the game which I remember amused the crowd on the East Terrace.
  • Options

johnlambs said:

No but Ray Wilson (England '66) did.

Think a lot of Law's comments re England were said with a sense of mischief and humour.
    What you might call Jockularity. :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Great player

Wonder if Shankly's Huddersfield ever played any memorable games against Charlton

Law was sitting alongside Shankly that day, injured and out of the side. Dennis Law saw it all.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    He was my idol as a kid, or more accurately he was everything I dreamed of being as a footballer. (Edit: except Scottish :smile: )
    Was fortunate enough to see him play half a dozen times when United were in Town, and once from the Stretford End at Old Trafford.
    "The King of the Football League" they called him at United, even with Best and Charlton in the same team
  • Options
    Law was superbly inventive, one of the greatest ever.
  • Options
    Saw Law play at Charlton for Huddersfield in his younger days. Scored one with a strike in-off the post and had another, very clever attempt, ruled out for offside. Hall mark one arm aloft after scoring. One of the great players of our time.
  • Options
    Great player. Some Jocks back then vehemently did not like England. Pat Crerand was another one.
  • Options
    Could be wrong but didnt Dennis Law come down to a Back to The Valley dinner 1994 and give a talk.

Think he replaced Ian St John at short notice.
  • Options

was my first football hero when a boy.Always played with a smile on his face. Lost a bit of the hero worship after reading in his auto biography that he went to play golf the day of the 1966 World cup as he couldnt face seeing the English win it !
    Didnt he score a back healed goal for Man City against Man U which relegated Utd ?

Yes he did...caused a massive pitch invasion after the game (my brother in law was there), didn't take long for MU to return to the top flight though (they went straight back up) and were getting 60,000+ at OT.
  • Options

Yes he did...caused a massive pitch invasion after the game (my brother in law was there), didn't take long for MU to return to the top flight though (they went straight back up) and were getting 60,000+ at OT.
    His goal didn't really send them down, they would have been relegated even if the match had finished and Utd had won it. Results elsewhere confirmed Utd's doom not Law.
    As for his views on the English national side, I have no problem at all with that. I wish todays players would mock Wales and Scotland etc when they fail but you're not allowed these days.