Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Former Reading FC and Charlton Athletic striker signs for League One club

edited October 2017 in General Charlton
Plymouth Argyle look to have missed out on the chance to sign former Reading and Charlton Athletic striker Simon Church.

The Welsh international had been training with the Pilgrims ahead of a potential move to Home Park.

But Church, 28, has agreed to join Plymouth’s Sky Bet League One rivals Scunthorpe United instead, according to The Sun.

Church, who played six games while on loan at Yeovil Town from Reading in the 2008-09 season, had been without a club since leaving Dutch side Roda JC in the summer.

That is three of our ex-players they have signed this season, be interesting when we play them next month

Comments

• Congratulations Plymouth
    Dodged a bullet there
  • Congratulations Plymouth
    Dodged a bullet there

words from my mouth took the
  • Oh you've jinxed us now. Hat trick for Church in a few weeks
  • ross1 said:

Plymouth Argyle look to have missed out on the chance to sign former Reading and Charlton Athletic striker Simon Church.

The Welsh international had been training with the Pilgrims ahead of a potential move to Home Park.

But Church, 28, has agreed to join Plymouth’s Sky Bet League One rivals Scunthorpe United instead, according to The Sun.

Church, who played six games while on loan at Yeovil Town from Reading in the 2008-09 season, had been without a club since leaving Dutch side Roda JC in the summer.

That is three of our ex-players they have signed this season, be interesting when we play them next month

"The Charlton rejects"

A bit odd why Scunthorpe seem to be such a popular choice for free agents, it seems that Crofts left us of his own accord to go there
  • I didn't realize he was playing in Holland. Credit to him for going abroad.

On that same note, imagine Churchinho playing in Holland...
  • strange signing for Scunthorpe unless the current crop of strikers (except Novak) are looking to move on in January ..
    the Iron is a small club and has to shop around carefully .. strikers of course are in great demand and short supply .. but even so, Church's recent record in England is poor to say the least, he did OK(ish) with Aberdeen though and is still only 28 .. we will see
  • strange signing for Scunthorpe unless the current crop of strikers (except Novak) are looking to move on in January ..
    the Iron is a small club and has to shop around carefully .. strikers of course are in great demand and short supply .. but even so, Church's recent record in England is poor to say the least, he did OK(ish) with Aberdeen though and is still only 28 .. we will see

IF Scunny are unloading in January .. Madden would be a good signing for us .. mind you, I've been saying that for the past 5 years
  • Lot of cows arses and banjo shops breathing a sigh of relief down Plymouth way!
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Church, Novak and Crofts. Hardly the Jamaican relay team there

To be fair; Church isnt the slowest of players... Its just his shot that has the power of an old lady
  • Striker !!! Trade description violation
  • Lot of cows arses and banjo shops breathing a sigh of relief down Plymouth way!

To be fair, Church can hit the cow's arse with a banjo...but the cow wouldn't feel anything...
  • Poor churchy - he was alright
  • He always put in a huge shift
  • edited October 2017
    Churchy didn't exactly connect with us, cupping his ear at the Covered End when he did, eventually, score. Yet other more acclaimed strikers - Vetokele, Ajose, et al - might learn from his willingness to close down and block defenders when they have the ball.
  • Churchy off to a good start with his new club: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41618500
  • Churchy off to a good start with his new club: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41618500

Credit to him as a Professional Footballer... Hasnt had a club all season and slots straight into the bench the week he signs for someone

That isnt a dig at Ben Reeves but can imagine many Footballers at most levels being able to do that, even if it was just a 13min cameo

Credit to him as a Professional Footballer... Hasnt had a club all season and slots straight into the bench the week he signs for someone

That isnt a dig at Ben Reeves but can imagine many Footballers at most levels being able to do that, even if it was just a 13min cameo
    To me that shows how desperate Scunny are more than anything. We didn’t need to rush Reeves back, so didn’t.

To me that shows how desperate Scunny are more than anything. We didn’t need to rush Reeves back, so didn’t.
    True but they're still only four points behind us
  • Sponsored links:

• Church wins a penalty and Novak scores. I'd have him back in a hea....

Nah. Can't do it.

Only we did and he got injured again
  • edited October 2017

Novak getting off to a good start / Church already doing ok - no surprise to me
  • Nothing against either of them. I would’ve kept Novak as he gave Magennis and KAG only. Church just wasn’t good enough but gave his all every game. Good luck to them both. Just not against us.