Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Real Madrid v Tottenham (and other Euro games 18/10)

A terrific result for Spurs in Spain last night as well as Liverpool hitting seven in a ridiculously one sided affair in a supposed 'Champions League'.
Spurs never looked outclassed by the reigning champions, Winks is a developing midfield talent and Kane just gets better and better. It was a very open game with both keepers in top form, the proverbial great advert for European football. Let's have more of the same please.

It would be great this season to see an English club go all the way or at least as far as the final.

Comments

• edited October 2017

A terrific result for Spurs in Spain last night as well as Liverpool hitting seven in a ridiculously one sided affair in a supposed 'Champions League'.
    Spurs never looked outclassed by the reigning champions, Winks is a developing midfield talent and Kane just gets better and better. It was a very open game with both keepers in top form, the proverbial great advert for European football. Let's have more of the same please.

It would be great this season to see an English club go all the way or at least as far as the final.

A great performance no doubt......but “never looked outclassed”?

There was a period in that first half where RM ripped em up for arse’ole paper and could have been out of sight if their forwards hadn’t been temporarily Charltonised.

Spurs definitely deserved he draw over 90 mins though and I hope they do well.
  • Man utd vs Benfica is free on BT showcase tonight for those that are interested
  • cabbles said:

Agreed - I'm also looking forward to seeing Arsenal take on FC Crvena Zvedza tomorrow

easy for you to say ((:>) ..
  • Man City: Top of Group F
    Liverpool: Top of Group E
    Tottenham: Top of Group H
    Man United: Top of Group A
    Chelsea: Top of Group C

Power shift?
  • PSG and Barca also atop their groups. Real only 2nd on goal difference, but early to think anyone can overcome them, especially in the knock out stages
  • Man utd vs Benfica is free on BT showcase tonight for those that are interested

any idea what channel that is on sky?
  • Channel 903 (after 22:00 only).
  • Man City: Top of Group F
    Liverpool: Top of Group E
    Tottenham: Top of Group H
    Man United: Top of Group A
    Chelsea: Top of Group C

Power shift?

We'll have UEFA moaning about the English money again soon!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't see it, but well done Spurs.
  • Spurs would win the league if they still had Modric.
  • The one thing that Pochettino has never been afraid to do is to give English youngsters a chance - and if they aren't good enough (Mason, Caroll, Pritchard etc) then he will off load them but if they are then he will give them a run.

I believe that Chelsea, for example, do not have in their current first team squad (i.e. not out on loan) a single English player who has come through their ranks and started a League match.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Nice post @Lincsaddick and nice to see some unbias praise on here.

Just letting it all sink in tbh. Poch deserves immense credit for what he has done at Spurs.

The first season in charge was a bit of a mess but didnt help with a sh*tload of deadwood to be cleared out but we haven't looked back since.

Yes, Real were good for about 20 mins second half but we had our chances. Any other stadium and game, the Llorente foul 1st half was a pen. Kane would have put us 2 up then.

If anyone was in any doubt about Harry Wink's ability then watch the game back again. He was outstanding again last night and hardly wasted a pass all night long. Its fantastic seieng someone so confident to bring the ball forward and always looking to give and receive.

Special mentions for Lloris and the back 3 and the wing backs. Oustanding, all of them. The pen apart, Vertonghen and Aurier was excellent. Even Sissoko had his best game for us.

Was worried about Llorente starting but perhaps a bit of a masterstroke starting with him as it gave Real something to think about.

Roll on the home return game in 2 weeks. Wembley will be rocking :)

I assume Dele Alli was dropped for this game due to his poor form?

Has been terrible in my fantasy league team so shipped him out!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Just letting it all sink in tbh. Poch deserves immense credit for what he has done at Spurs.

The first season in charge was a bit of a mess but didnt help with a sh*tload of deadwood to be cleared out but we haven't looked back since.

Yes, Real were good for about 20 mins second half but we had our chances. Any other stadium and game, the Llorente foul 1st half was a pen. Kane would have put us 2 up then.

If anyone was in any doubt about Harry Wink's ability then watch the game back again. He was outstanding again last night and hardly wasted a pass all night long. Its fantastic seieng someone so confident to bring the ball forward and always looking to give and receive.

Special mentions for Lloris and the back 3 and the wing backs. Oustanding, all of them. The pen apart, Vertonghen and Aurier was excellent. Even Sissoko had his best game for us.

Was worried about Llorente starting but perhaps a bit of a masterstroke starting with him as it gave Real something to think about.

I assume Dele Alli was dropped for this game due to his poor form?

Has been terrible in my fantasy league team so shipped him out!
    Was his last game of a 3 game suspension after getting a straight red in our last Europa game last season!
  • Think the English teams have certainly closed the gap on the Spanish sides, would be nice just to see an English side competing in the latter stages, really fancy City to do something big this year too
  • The one thing that Pochettino has never been afraid to do is to give English youngsters a chance - and if they aren't good enough (Mason, Caroll, Pritchard etc) then he will off load them but if they are then he will give them a run.

I believe that Chelsea, for example, do not have in their current first team squad (i.e. not out on loan) a single English player who has come through their ranks and started a League match.

Andros Townsend too. Pritchard is probably the one who didn't get much of a run in the first team

Think the English teams have certainly closed the gap on the Spanish sides, would be nice just to see an English side competing in the latter stages, really fancy City to do something big this year too

Having 5 decent sides in the competition reflects the PL at the moment, not quite the top level standard of Real, Barcelona and maybe PSG at the moment, but with great depth

Andros Townsend too. Pritchard is probably the one who didn't get much of a run in the first team

Think the English teams have certainly closed the gap on the Spanish sides, would be nice just to see an English side competing in the latter stages, really fancy City to do something big this year too

Having 5 decent sides in the competition reflects the PL at the moment, not quite the top level standard of Real, Barcelona and maybe PSG at the moment, but with great depth
    Spot on

Think city look very good
  • Aurier is a liability, sometimes looks good but would rather Trippier any day he just loses his head too much and has always been the case. Nice to see Danny Rose coming back even if it CM, was hoping they put him LB moved Vertonghen in the middle and Dier into Midfield but probably too many changes when it was comfortable.

Good performance from Spurs, thought it was going to be very high scoring. Winks does look good, Lloris / Sanchez MOTM for me could have been any of the back 5
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

2 up front .. Robinson, take note
  • JohnBoyUK said:

2 up front .. Robinson, take note
    To be fair, Spurs played 2 up front against one of the weaker teams, they weren't playing Oxford :smile:
  • Really impressed with Spurs last night - took it to Real, which they didn't like. Very interesting to see the two different styles and pace and reminded me of some of the problems Real have had against German teams in the last few years. Also enjoyed seeing Ronaldo getting wound up and hearing the Real fans whistling their own team when things weren't going well - very fickle fans.

Anyone?

Anyone?
    I am watching it through the BT sport website. Channel 433 for sky it seems
  • Not missing much if you're not watching it...
  • Great goalkeeping there.Jesus!
  • not to rub it in .. the Chelsea/Roma game is a cracker .. Chelsea 2 up, now it's 2 all
  • Roma go ahead .. Dzeko, ex Man City gets 2
  • edited October 2017
    Chelsea equalise .. Hazard's second .. 3-3