Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Speeding - M25, temp speed limit.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017

Fiiish said:

I didn't realise maths depended on your opinions on speed limits. Can't wait for that to be a GCSE question:

"Donny and Jane leave home at the same time to drive 100 miles. Donny has an average speed of 50mph and Jane an average speed of 30mph. Who arrives first and by how much?"

Answer: "They both arrive at the same time because even if you're going faster you'll go much slower through junctions and hit more traffic lights...for some reason."

(This question is sponsored by the National Association of Unconfident Drivers)

I tell you what, if you can find any journey of 100 miles that has a speed limit of 30mph where you can confidently suggest (not even prove) that it is the drivers discretion to drive at 50mph for the whole 100 miles then I'll withdraw my comment. Slipping in the word 'average' changes the whole statement. I even pointed out that average speed is not the same as top speed.

The point was that exceeding the speed limit will not make many journeys much quicker. Sure if you drive at 140 on the motorway, which might be possible, then you will get there in half the time of sticking to the speed limit - although obviously only if you are driving from one junction to another one.

Once you mention average speed you already remove any implications of junctions and traffic lights so you are not even talking about Dazzler's post any more. But you knew that right? Your normal posts suggest that you are sufficiently intelligent to not have been stupid enough to forget that and obstacles would have been included in the average speed. Thus I can only assume that you are just being an arse.

Let's hope that you don't lose a family member by a driver that was exceeding the speed limit otherwise some of your comments here might haunt you.
    It was clearly tongue in cheek.

This thread isn't about speeding in 30mph areas it's about whether enforced lower limits on controlled motorways impact journey times. You're the one who brought in speeding drivers on 30mph. I haven't seen anyone here advocating that.

I think your last comment is entirely unnecessary. I haven't posted anything that I would regret if I had been affected by a traffic accident and that's a rather rash assumption that I haven't.
  • Options
    The main problem in this country are the roads and poor driving.

If you drive through France or Germany their main motorways are a lot quieter than ours (in France probably because of the tolls). In Germany I would say their driving is better also,

I can drive from the Eurostar to the Nurburgring ring quicker than I can drive to Nottingham from London, yet it’s twice the distance. I do both journeys a number of times a year and despite the continental journey averaging probably 100+ mph compared to the uk one averaging 50/60 mph I know which journey I feel safer on.
  • Options
    Speed limits through roadworks may rise to 60mph.

Highways England suggests change to combat congestion and reduce impact of repairs.

Speed limits could be raised to 60mph through roadworks as Highways England tries to combat congestion and reduce the impact of repairs.

The government-owned company, which has been testing different speed limits since September 2016, found motorists’ heart rates were lower when driving faster through roadworks.

Jim O’Sullivan, the chief executive of Highways England, told the Times newspaper that the 60mph limit was “something that we want to introduce to as many roadworks as possible”. But lower speeds were likely to be maintained in areas with narrow lanes, contraflows or where working was taking place close to the road.

O’Sullivan said: “The volume of roadworks that the network and our users can cope with is probably reaching its peak. If we’re going to have this volume of roadworks, we need to have some serious thought about how we improve the customer experience.”

All sounds great until “customer experience”, very Katrien.
  • Options
    If speed cameras were really there for safety it would be 6 point minimum and no fine.

As it stands - kerching
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I paid this in the end early December after they sent to the wrong address (as its a lease).

I have now got a letter this morning with a Single justice procedure notice?? What is that about? I paid £100 requested.

On the timeline it confirms they have received but notes i didn't send my driving license, i would have if i knew i had too but i dont remember them asking for it. Now i can return form or plead online, likely im going to get another £85 fine for the prosecution. Good job they are out there catching the real criminals like myself hey.
  • Options

I paid this in the end early December after they sent to the wrong address (as its a lease).

I have now got a letter this morning with a Single justice procedure notice?? What is that about? I paid £100 requested.

On the timeline it confirms they have received but notes i didn't send my driving license, i would have if i knew i had too but i dont remember them asking for it. Now i can return form or plead online, likely im going to get another £85 fine for the prosecution. Good job they are out there catching the real criminals like myself hey.

Well let's look at it another way. I am 100% positive it is just an admin body dealing with your case.

Therefore the patrol and response trained police officers are out there already catching the real criminals.

They are stopping those who are currently speeding.

They are responding to others who have crashed as a result of speeding.

and in some cases They are delivering the news that someone who was driving home carefully, without breaking any laws was killed by a reckless driver that was speeding...

Speed limits are there for a reason, it's not just to screw people out of a few quid.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Well let's look at it another way. I am 100% positive it is just an admin body dealing with your case.

Therefore the patrol and response trained police officers are out there already catching the real criminals.

They are stopping those who are currently speeding.

They are responding to others who have crashed as a result of speeding.

and in some cases They are delivering the news that someone who was driving home carefully, without breaking any laws was killed by a reckless driver that was speeding...

Speed limits are there for a reason, it's not just to screw people out of a few quid.
    Then they have you fooled Daz.
  • Options
    As somebody who for many years drove up to 30,000 miles/year I guess I have seen all that is bad about road usage in the UK and agree the standard of driving is pretty poor, although having driven extensively all over Europe we are not the worst by any means. The main issue for me is that there is really a difference between speeding and inappropriate speed meaning that doing 80-90 mph on the motorway when the traffic is relatively light and visibility is good is certainly not as dangerous as driving past a school when the kids are coming out at 35 mph. I also take issue with the idea that the traffic police are out catching the real criminals, in my experience they are rarely around when the genuinely reckless driving is taking place, witness the amount of high speed undertaking on the A2 between Falconwood and Blackfen as an example it makes your blood run cold.

A couple of weeks ago I came down the A20 and outside the Pink Flamingo sports ground was 4 police cars and two motorcycles stopping motorists for speeding, now if that isn't overkill I don't know what is. I don't object to police stopping anyone speeding but I do object to the disproportionate use of officers for such activity.

There are many reasons why we have speed restrictions and by and large they are there for good reason but what I do object to is motorway gantries flashing "40mph Slow down congestion" or some such when there is no congestion at all and can be used to issue tickets for speeding. Regardless of the fact that a lot of these instances are erroneous you have no recourse to appeal and that doesn't make ay sense.
  • Options

A couple of weeks ago I came down the A20 and outside the Pink Flamingo sports ground was 4 police cars and two motorcycles stopping motorists for speeding, now if that isn't overkill I don't know what is. I don't object to police stopping anyone speeding but I do object to the disproportionate use of officers for such activity.

Given that there are speed cameras before and after that point I guess they were nabbing the people who know where the speed cameras are and slow down just for that stretch. Definitely overkill and I suspect a chance for easy revenue generation.