Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Speeding - M25, temp speed limit.

Comments

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Clearly we need to go back to the days where the maximum speed was 5mph and a bloke has to walk in front of you with a red flag, the way some people post on here.

I agree, the way some people post on here is ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Not sure that's true Fish. I still think there will remain a huge demand for those who want to have autonomy over a car.

They'll raise taxes and insurance on manually controlled vehicles to a point that very few people will be able to afford to drive them.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Clearly we need to go back to the days where the maximum speed was 5mph and a bloke has to walk in front of you with a red flag, the way some people post on here.

It would be a great source of employment for our benefit class and the obesity epidemic would be drastically curtailed. Good thinking Fiiish.
  • Options

Not sure that's true Fish. I still think there will remain a huge demand for those who want to have autonomy over a car.

They'll raise taxes and insurance on manually controlled vehicles to a point that very few people will be able to afford to drive them.
    To be fair they already do that on the poorest people. I believe they call their self-driving transport "the bus".
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

To be fair they already do that on the poorest people. I believe they call their self-driving transport "the bus".
    Getting a bus through Woolwich provides much more excitement than driving a car a bit too fast.
  • Options

I agree, the demand will be there... but I also expect rules like "Auto-drive only on the M25 until 9pm". And "insurance will cost you 300% more if you want self-drive"
  • Options
    The 20mph thing in my Borough has not really jad any affect on getting places in time and actually made driving about more pleasant in my view. Mind you this is a motorway thread.
    I am intrigued by the term 'plodding along' used in a post above.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Was driving towards Swanley this morning, with signs indicating 50. Thought about this thread, so drove at 50 whilst everbody else went flying past doing 60 plus because there was no queues!
    I just drove in the inside lane and waited for a HGV to go past staring at me! Fortunately this never happened:)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Out of interest how many people have navs that warn them of speed cameras and how many stick to the limit/rely on a keen eye? Personally I use Waze as my nav app and its camera warning feature is a big reason why I like it.
  • Options
    Driving's a pleasure, it's the other dick-eyed tits on the road who are the problem. I reckon if the population had to redo their test under today's standards 2 thirds would fail to pass first time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017

And you'll pay a huge premium for the privilege.

Most accidents are down to driver error. Fully automated "driverless" cars will drastically reduce the number of accidents.

Sticking your head above the parapet and taking full responsibility for driving the car will be caned by insurers.

• Options

And you'll pay a huge premium for the privilege.

Most accidents are down to driver error. Fully automated "driverless" cars will drastically reduce the number of accidents.

Sticking your head above the parapet and taking full responsibility for driving the car will be caned by insurers.

If, and it's a big if in my view, fully autonomous cars are the norm in the foreseeable future then 'proper' cars will be confined to track days. Driverless cars and driver controlled cars will not mix on the same roads.

When we get to the point where the technology allows for safe autonomy then most people will use fully autonomous public transport.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Driving's a pleasure, it's the other dick-eyed tits on the road who are the problem. I reckon if the population had to redo their test under today's standards 2 thirds would fail to pass first time.

Thats the point, people are not taught to drive, they're taught to pass a test, a bit like school kids aren't educated they are taught to pass exams.

Re slower drivers, I was out in Crete a few weeks ago and rented a car, they have great law for the faint hearted, they have a solid white line on main roads, a bit like a hard shoulder, if you are driving along and a faster vehicle comes up behind you, the slower car must move over into and straddle the solid white line, so the car behind can get past, it you dont move over then its a big fine, and its enforced because they have Police on the roads, a lot of police, enforcing the laws.
  • Options
    I don't reckon you could have both on the same road at the same time, the AI/avoidance tech in driverless cars isn't good enough at the moment to avoid obstacles as unpredictable as a human driver. They'd have to stop every time one approached and you'd never get anywhere.

I'd be absolutely fine with a convoy system on motorways, perhaps then the average british driver would see there is no shame driving in the left lane.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Yep, I agree with the later there but not the former. Its a means to end.
    But how many people do you know who would describe themselves as with below average driving skills?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Fiiish said:

Yep, I agree with the later there but not the former. Its a means to end.
    But how many people do you know who would describe themselves as with below average driving skills?
    There seem to be quite a few women who boast about how bad they are at driving and how they don't know how to park or get scared when reversing or go on motorways.

Men on the other hand seem to think they're the best driver in the world. I was in a car with an acquantiance and he was clearly a shit driver. I wouldn't want to get in a car with him again if I can afford to. I wonder if he realises how shit he is when he is a passenger and the driver doesn't perform an emergency stop because he sees a pigeon.

I had a great instructor who most importantly taught principles first and went into great detail over the physics and mechanics of it all. I don't know about other instructors but I imagine quite a few just teach the bare minimum to pass. The driving test is a lot more comprehensive than it was 20 years ago though.
  • Options

I don't reckon you could have both on the same road at the same time, the AI/avoidance tech in driverless cars isn't good enough at the moment to avoid obstacles as unpredictable as a human driver. They'd have to stop every time one approached and you'd never get anywhere.

I'd be absolutely fine with a convoy system on motorways, perhaps then the average british driver would see there is no shame driving in the left lane.

The ultimate test for a self-driving car on a road still with manual cars on it would be if it could complete a circuit of Manchester's ring road, where traffic lights are advisory, indicators and headlights are never used and brake lights only work on every other car, and drivers will change lanes with no warning or reason with a mobile phone in one hand and a Greggs pastry in the other.
  • Options

Oh it's true. That, and more environmental friendly cars, are the 2 certainties of where we will be in 20 to 30 years time. The only doubt is over the timescale.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Thats the point, people are not taught to drive, they're taught to pass a test, a bit like school kids aren't educated they are taught to pass exams.

Re slower drivers, I was out in Crete a few weeks ago and rented a car, they have great law for the faint hearted, they have a solid white line on main roads, a bit like a hard shoulder, if you are driving along and a faster vehicle comes up behind you, the slower car must move over into and straddle the solid white line, so the car behind can get past, it you dont move over then its a big fine, and its enforced because they have Police on the roads, a lot of police, enforcing the laws.

Crete - 70 deaths - population 650,000

UK - 1732 deaths - population 65,000,000

In Crete, deaths per head of population are four times that of the UK

Just sayin ;-)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Just sayin ;-)
    Ah more stats, it was proved earlier that your stats have no relevance.
    anyway the Cretans are always pissed, but they still move the hell over when someone comes along who knows how to drive. (smiley thing)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Just sayin ;-)
    anyway the Cretans are always pissed, but they still move the hell over when someone comes along who knows how to drive. (smiley thing)
    Have I missed something? What is this proof you talk about?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Just sayin ;-)
    Re read the thread mate.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Just sayin ;-)
    Re read the thread mate.
    I did and all I could find from previous figures I quoted was the RoSPA figures on deaths caused by excessive speed. I noted that you disagreed with the relevance - hardly proof.

I'm not going to fall out with you on this, Greenie - it just seems we have a different take on it.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Just sayin ;-)
    Re read the thread mate.
    I did and all I could find from previous figures I quoted was the RoSPA figures on deaths caused by excessive speed. I noted that you disagreed with the relevance - hardly proof.

I'm not going to fall out with you on this, Greenie - it just seems we have a different take on it.
    It was another poster who posted the correct stats.
    Of course we wont fall out mate, I'm right.

Edit - Stats from A-R-T-H-U-R:-

A9) Failed to look properly was the most frequently reported contributory factor and was reported in 42 per cent of all accidents reported to the police in 2016. For fatal accidents the most frequently reported contributory factor was loss of control, which was involved in 30 per cent of fatal accidents.

For accidents where a pedestrian was injured or killed, pedestrian failed to look properly was reported in 54 per cent of accidents, and pedestrian careless, reckless or in a hurry was reported in 25 per cent of accidents.

Exceeding the speed limit was reported as a factor in 5 per cent of all accidents, but these accidents involved 15 per cent of fatalities. At least one of exceeding the speed limit and travelling too fast for the conditions was reported in 11 per cent of all accidents and these accidents accounted for 24 per cent of all fatalities.

65 per cent of fatalities in reported road accidents had driver or rider error or reaction (which includes failing to look properly, loss of control and poor turn or manoeuvre) reported as a contributory factor leading to the accident.

Source: Department for Transport - Contributory Factors for Reported Road Accidents Tables
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Just sayin ;-)
    Re read the thread mate.

A9) Failed to look properly was the most frequently reported contributory factor and was reported in 42 per cent of all accidents reported to the police in 2016. For fatal accidents the most frequently reported contributory factor was loss of control, which was involved in 30 per cent of fatal accidents.

For accidents where a pedestrian was injured or killed, pedestrian failed to look properly was reported in 54 per cent of accidents, and pedestrian careless, reckless or in a hurry was reported in 25 per cent of accidents.

Exceeding the speed limit was reported as a factor in 5 per cent of all accidents, but these accidents involved 15 per cent of fatalities. At least one of exceeding the speed limit and travelling too fast for the conditions was reported in 11 per cent of all accidents and these accidents accounted for 24 per cent of all fatalities.

65 per cent of fatalities in reported road accidents had driver or rider error or reaction (which includes failing to look properly, loss of control and poor turn or manoeuvre) reported as a contributory factor leading to the accident.

Source: Department for Transport - Contributory Factors for Reported Road Accidents Tables
    In that case I should thank A-R-T-H-U-R for confirming my stats.

I said:

In 2015, 222 people were killed in crashes involving someone exceeding the speed limit and a further 167
    people died when someone was traveling too fast for the conditions.

A-R-T-H-U-R said:

In 2016 Exceeding the speed limit was a factor in 15% of fatalities - which is about 250 people.

I accept my figures were a slight underestimate but it was spanning two years and I would hope you would agree they are of similar order!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

Fiiish said:

Just sayin ;-)
    Re read the thread mate.

In that case I should thank A-R-T-H-U-R for confirming my stats.

I said:

In 2015, 222 people were killed in crashes involving someone exceeding the speed limit and a further 167
    people died when someone was traveling too fast for the conditions.

A-R-T-H-U-R said:

In 2016 Exceeding the speed limit was a factor in 15% of fatalities - which is about 250 people.

I accept my figures were a slight underestimate but it was spanning two years and I would hope you would agree they are of similar order!
    *Shakes head*
  • Options
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

What sexist claptrap.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Fiiish said:

iainment said:

Just obey the limit and then there's no fine, no points, no speed awareness course, no increase in insurance and in nearly all cases hardly any difference in journey time.

That's the point being made though. The government don't want you to obey the limit. If they did then they'd make it a lot easier to do so, they'd make limits consistent and simple. You'd never have to be driving and think to yourself "what is the speed limit here?", it's be obvious. You'd never get arbitrary speed limit changes when road conditions haven't changed, you'd never get 2 seemingly identical roads with different speed limits on them. They want to catch us speeding, that's why they sit on the bridge at the bottom of Blue Bell hill, it's why the north circular on the other side of the Blackwall tunnel drops from 50 to 40 for no reason and they have a camera next to the 40 sign. It's why the A2 suddenly changes from 70 to 50 just past Dartford Heath (and the first average speed camera is hidden just round the bend) when it doesn't enter a built up area for another 2 miles.

If they really cared and wanted greater safety instead simply catching people speeding then they wouldn't need tricks like the above and the focus would be on simplicity and transparency.
    They recently changed a main road that is partially a dual carriageway from a sensible 40 (the road is very wide) to a plodding 30. This road is largely used as a bypass so 95% of people are not stopping or turning off. Completing the length of it at 75% of the original speed adds 2 or 3 minutes to each journey. What a waste of everyone's time.

And why? Not because of any accidents but because the pond life who live in the houses along a bank opposite the road don't want to walk the extra 50 metres to the underpass or the safe crossing at the junction and instead attempt to leg it across, usually with a pram or buggy, across a busy main road as wide as a dual carriageway.

Would have been far more sensible to put a fence up to deter these idiots from placing their and their children's lives in danger. All changing it from 40 to 30 has done has encouraged more of these morons to make this dangerous dash.
    And I would think actually made the road more dangerous. This is my theory: I'd be glad if someone could disprove it. I've used figures for added simplicity.
    Let's say a road has a given volume of free-flowing traffic and is a mile long. If the speed limit was 60mph, and everyone obeys the limit they all take one minute to cover this stretch of road. If the speed limit is reduced to 30 mph, traffic volumes remain the same and everyone still obeys the limit, it takes two minutes to cover the mile.
    So, at any one time there is twice as much traffic on the road, gaps between cars are much reduced and crossing the road safely or exiting a side road becomes nearly impossible. Doesn't it?
    I think this is all part of a boody of research that sadly none of us are party to, and it's a pity it isn't discussed more publicly by governments.

In Germany the default on the autobahn remains two lanes only but unlimited speed. I am fascinated by increasing stretches on such motorways where they expand to three lanes, but impose a speed limit of 120kph. Then it goes back to two lanes after a while and the limit is removed. They obviously have something worked out, cos the Germans are clever like that, but I would love to know what it's about. It may be something related to your point, I feel.

Going back to your interesting remarks on the speedos and tyres, does the speedo reading go up as the tyres become more worn?

And on the same lines, do you know why auto manufacturers seem incapable of building a properly accurate measurement of exactly how much fuel is left in your tank? What's that about?

I freely admit to this sort of stuff doing my head in. But, if I've got it right, - and frankly it's a big if - when the tyres are worn, or inadequately inflated or a combination of those things, that is the diameter is less than they were when new and/or properly inflated, then you are likely to be travelling more slowly than indicated.

Most speedos tend to be a bit optimistic. The worst example I know about was on (older?) Nissan Micras which had notoriously inaccurate, optimistic speedos: reading 35mph when travelling at 30mph. This might be why Micra drivers always seem to be pootling about at well below the speed limit!

My Jeep reads 72mph when I'm doing 70. I think this is a deliberate ploy by the manufacturers so they can't get sued if people pick up a speeding ticket.

So to take an extreme example, if you had 20" tyres on your car, (that's the outside dimension not just the diameter of the wheel obviously) the circumference would be 63.6". If you changed those tyres for 21" then the circumference would be 66.8". So the circumference of your tyre would be approx 5% more. Then a properly calibrated speedo would be reading 60mph but you'd be doing 63mph.
  • Options
    My new-ish motorcycle has a nice feature that allows the rider to set the speedo between 4 mph under and 4 mph over the standard setting. I find on standard it is consistently 10% below the more accurate reading of the on board sat nav.