Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Philippines

Looking to make a trip to the Philippines next Easter after a few days in Hong Kong. Can't decide where to go currently. Anyone been/have recommendations?

Ideally looking for wildlife, diving, some trekking and relaxation.

Any advice most appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TELTEL
    edited October 2017
    @moutuakilla Ive been to Manila. Overcrowded and very humbling. The people are amazing, so happy yet stricken with poverty. Its without doubt the busiest city I've ever been to. Not much to recommend in Manila unless you want nightlife or shopping, both to be had in abundance. Beaches, head to Cebu, its popular and safe. Samal Garden Island off Davao is beautiful too and a short ferry ride from the port. Chocolate Mountains are supposed to be nice and very wild.I have some friends I can ask who have lived there...Filipinos, so I will get back to you with any other ideas. Is it just you or family?
  • Options
    I've been around a few parts of The Philippines. Palawan is my favourite destination so far. I went to Puerto Princesa and took some trips around Honda Bay which is beautiful. Don't expect luxury 4 or 5 star hotels though - Puerto Princesa itself is an earthy town with a few bars and restaurants which are friendly and decent. Apparently the drive across to El Nido on the other side of Palawan is bumpy but spectacular and worth a visit - that's on my agenda. The most commercial resort in The Philippines is Boracay. I quite like it because it's not ridiculously busy and has a mix of lively and not too lively. Cebu has some nice up market resorts on Mactan Island and other nearby islands. Cebu City itself is a bit mixed and a bit dodgy in places. Alona Beach is a really nice beach area although the hotel I picked there was nice but on a beach full of litter which rather spolit it for me. However, I am sure other beaches aren't like that. Generally, the standard of accommodation is not as good as, say, Thailand, but the people are friendly - and it's dead cheap. Whatever you do, check weather patterns for the month you intend to travel.
  • Options
    Agree with the above. My son works in Manilla, and he told me he couldn't get to work for 3 days last month because of Monsoon and constant thunderstorms - I mean where is that in the Book of Sickies ?!
  • Options

Agree with the above. My son works in Manilla, and he told me he couldn't get to work for 3 days last month because of Monsoon and constant thunderstorms - I mean where is that in the Book of Sickies ?!

Yes, I've seen some of that in Manila. The place just closes down.
  • Options
    Most dangerous city I have ever visited.
    Had a knife put to our throats because we never tipped the taxi driver.
    As for the hotel......
    Only an overnight on the way to somewhere or other, Oz?
    That was 25 years ago though.
  • Options

As for the hotel......

It was certainly a dodgy city in the 80s and early 90s. There's still a lot of parts that you wouldn't walk around late at night, but there's plenty of decent places where you can wander around safely. I really like the city - I just take taxis for even the shortest distances at night if I am in a slightly dodgy area.
  • Options
    We are probably going to go for Palawan or South Luzon. South Luzon for the WhaleSharks and the Mantas but I think my gf is quite taken with Palawan so far. What is transport like over there? Is it very similar to Thailand?
  • Options

We are probably going to go for Palawan or South Luzon. South Luzon for the WhaleSharks and the Mantas but I think my gf is quite taken with Palawan so far. What is transport like over there? Is it very similar to Thailand?

Is that Guy's sister?

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Is that Guy's sister?

Yeah, she's become quite the tourist destination, especially for advanced divers
  • Options

As for the hotel......

Ironically the guys from the bank I work at get chauffeur driven from hotel to office and have been told to avoid taxis and trains at all costs. They tell me you go from commercial business districts like central London to a shanty town within a few blocks so will be interesting when I visit next month.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I kinda liked the Philippines. People are friendly but they live a hard life with all the elements they have to face; tornadoes, earthquakes flooding etc. It has that hint of danger too but I think I was lucky walking around Manila late night on my own.
    I went up to Angelas near where US airbase vacuated due to the volcano eruption. The ash was still falling when I arrived giving the impression of snow on top of huts/houses and side of the road but very hot and humid which mucked my senses. I was strongly advised not to walk anywhere (must use taxis) but never bothered. The bars where empty and the whores were shagged out and depressed as the Americans had left. The area looked more like somewhere in Mexico (Stetson hats were worn) with the phillipinos looking like Mexicans.
    I travelled further north to Baguio where it looked like somewhere out of a scene from Apoclypse Now. Very intimidating so decided not to stay and returned on the overnight back to Manila - for some reason I felt safer in downtown Manila at 4am in the morning that there. But nice scenery.
    Headed down to an island just off south Luzon and the snorkelling was amazing (that’s when I decided on my next travel that I’d go to the Barrier reef to learn scuba).
    Although you have to be careful (and lucky) when travelling around the Philppenos were hospitable. But the thought of eating one of their eggs (Baloo) which is meant to be an aphrodisiac made me feel sick.

Enjoy the xperience.
  • Options
    Bit of an old thread to revive. But im heading out to Cebu next month. My Mrs is from general Santos City. Any good bars or anything in cebu we should see ?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Over 7,000 islands wouldn't know where to start.
  • Options
    Bit of an old thread to revive. But im heading out to Cebu next month. My Mrs is from general Santos City. Any good bars or anything in cebu we should see ?
    A lot of bars disappeared when COVID struck and haven’t resurfaced. The Jokers Arms and a small complex of bars near the Ayala Centre have gone as has the Irish bar near Remedios Circle. I visited the Howling Dogs Sports which is near Ayala. It looks a bit dodgy but has English football and is a well-run, friendly bar serving decent pub food. The Ayala Centre (the outdoor bit not the mall) has a good selection of restaurants and bars. The Social is ok but I’m not keen on Gilligans. Prices are generally much higher in Ayala. 
  • Options
    A lot of bars disappeared when COVID struck and haven’t resurfaced. The Jokers Arms and a small complex of bars near the Ayala Centre have gone as has the Irish bar near Remedios Circle. I visited the Howling Dogs Sports which is near Ayala. It looks a bit dodgy but has English football and is a well-run, friendly bar serving decent pub food. The Ayala Centre (the outdoor bit not the mall) has a good selection of restaurants and bars. The Social is ok but I’m not keen on Gilligans. Prices are generally much higher in Ayala. 
    Thank you for this.