Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

La Liga 2017-2018

Comments

• cafc4life said:

Levante deserve that equaliser

I am so glad they did, with Villarreal losing Madrid have knly gained 1 point on them.

I know its unlikely and Madrid still have a game in hand, but I would love Villarreal to pip Madrid to 4th

Can u imagine no Real Madrid in the Champions League next season
  • edited February 2018
    Zidane coming in for a lot of stick here for taking Ronaldo off when they were two one up and somewhat bizarrely said after the game that the league title is still not out of reach for them. If Barcelona best Espanyol tonight they will be 21 points in front of Real, the biggest gap for 90 years.

Meanwhile Atletico play their closest rival tonight for second place, Valencia. After a slightly slow start at the new stadium Simeone has got Atletico in gear again and now with Diego Costa back and without the demands of Champions League football they are looking good for a runner-up position and possible Europa League win. Being the top team again in Madrid for the first time since 2014 will mean a lot as Real fans tend to look down on them but arguably Atletico have more actual support in the capital.
  • According to that Gironas is €4.6M
    But they spent €4.5M on 1 playet

Stuani had to be at least €2M as well
    So their entire transfer spend is about the same as what Barca or Real pay Messi/Ronaldo in a few weeks.

So their entire transfer spend is about the same as what Barca or Real pay Messi/Ronaldo in a few weeks.
    Yes but Girona are 12th, they are not near the top are they

No but the fact they're even that high is remarkable given their budget.

Yes but the initial point was there owners are super rich,

They have spent some money and have some decent free loans from Man City.

Yes 12th is good
    But i expect they will spend more again in the summer, give it a few years and like Man City Girona will start competing in Europe
  • edited February 2018

According to that Gironas is €4.6M

Yes 12th is good
    But i expect they will spend more again in the summer, give it a few years and like Man City Girona will start competing in Europe
    I think they will be delighted just to stay up to be honest. Other teams in Catalunya find it very hard to compete with Barcelona dominating the region, and Girona are really a very small team with a small stadium and fanbase.

They would need to make huge progress to get into Europe and in reality the Abu Dhabi ownership will probably see them as being a farm team for Man City rather than European contenders in their own right.

Yes 12th is good
    Genuinely don't see it like that and i'm sure that's not City football group's aim. They've bought Girona as a team playing at a good level to send their best kids too and others like the brazilian they've sent there (whose name i forget) to help him settle into european football.

They're probably not going to go spending tens of millions to try and have them competing for the top 4.
  • Clarence Seedorf announced as the new manager of Deportivo A Coruña, who are really struggling this season.
  • edited February 2018
    Got my tickets for the Real Madrid v Real Sociedad game this Saturday. Not as cheap as I would have liked, but hey ho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got my tickets for the Real Madrid v Real Sociedad game this Saturday. Not as cheap as I would have liked, but hey ho.

How much mate if you don't mind me asking? Think I paid about €85 for this same game last season behind the goal middle tier
  • Got my tickets for the Real Madrid v Real Sociedad game this Saturday. Not as cheap as I would have liked, but hey ho.

Have a great time here in Madrid mate. It has been snowing here today, for the first time in years, but hopefully will warm up a bit for the weekend.

Rayo Vallecano are at home on Sunday this weekend and the team, fans and stadium are pretty much the complete opposite of Real Madrid if you wanted a contrasting experience as well!
  • cafc4life said:

Got my tickets for the Real Madrid v Real Sociedad game this Saturday. Not as cheap as I would have liked, but hey ho.

How much mate if you don't mind me asking? Think I paid about €85 for this same game last season behind the goal middle tier
    €90 a ticket. Middle tier in the corner.
  • edited February 2018

Have a great time here in Madrid mate. It has been snowing here today, for the first time in years, but hopefully will warm up a bit for the weekend.

Rayo Vallecano are at home on Sunday this weekend and the team, fans and stadium are pretty much the complete opposite of Real Madrid if you wanted a contrasting experience as well!
    Cheers. In Amsterdam at the moment, it can’t be any colder in Madrid that’s for sure!

I’d like to go to the Rayo Vallecano game (saw them play at Barcelona many moons ago) but I highly doubt Mrs Otto will be too keen! I hope to go to Athletico Madrid to do the stadium tour as well.

Is the Vicente Calderon still there, or have they demolished it yet?
  • Yes, the Calderon is still standing but they plan to knock it down in the next year. I think they still have the museum there, which is really interesting. Still haven't been to the new stadium, the Wanda Metropolitano, as it is so far out of town but it looks amazing and hope to get there soon. I mainly get to third division games in Madrid, which is quite fitting for a Charlton fan!
  • edited February 2018

Clarence Seedorf announced as the new manager of Deportivo A Coruña, who are really struggling this season.

As a Depor fan, horrified by this. I cannot see what basis he got the appointment - they needed Warnock or a Spanish equivalent. Difficult to see them coming out of their tailspin and even less so with Mr Seedorf in charge.
  • Malaga lost to 2nd bottom tonight

Incredible to think they are gonna get relegated only 6 years ago or so they had mega money and people thought they woukd challenge at the top of La Liga for years
  • cafc4life said:

Blimey, and people say football is expensive over here!
  • edited February 2018

Malaga lost to 2nd bottom tonight

Incredible to think they are gonna get relegated only 6 years ago or so they had mega money and people thought they woukd challenge at the top of La Liga for years

Malaga are a club with rich owners and lots of investment over the years, so their decline is surprising and also another reminder of the impressive success of clubs like Girona who are doing well without spending much.

If Huesca can stay top of the second division and get into the top league this season it will continue a surprising trend of small clubs punching well above their weight, like Girona, Eibar and Leganes. Some of the historical big names like Real Zaragoza, Racing Santander and Real Valladolid have found themselves left behind despite having much bigger fanbases.
  • cafc4life said:

It's painful to say the least. Particularly when the cost of 3 came out of my pocket. Mrs Otto doesn't even like football FFS!.
  • Sponsored links:

• Real Madrid can be ridiculously expensive, which is why most locals can't afford to go. Atletico is more reasonably priced although their tickets have also gone up since the move to the new stadium.
  • Real Madrid can be ridiculously expensive, which is why most locals can't afford to go. Atletico is more reasonably priced although their tickets have also gone up since the move to the new stadium.

Just back from Madrid after after visiting the missus, she offered up the chance to go take in the Athletico game on Saturday against Valencia, I did the right thing and said no as thought sat and sun would be the only days we'd actually get to spend some time together, turns out she then had the whole of the week off so could have gone - I then got a load of grief as she really wanted to!

Absolutely gutted.

Need to take in a game before next season as I'll be having to watch the Madrid boys from the away end as Huesca WILL be going up :wink:
  • Copa del Rey semi-final second legs today and tomorrow, starting with Sevilla-Leganes which is 1-1 from the first leg then Valencia-Barcelona tomorrow night, with Barca one nil up from the first leg. A Sevilla v Valencia final would be great but just hoping that Barca don't win it again, at least for a bit of variety: they have won the last three finals.
  • cafc4life said:

It's painful to say the least. Particularly when the cost of 3 came out of my pocket. Mrs Otto doesn't even like football FFS!.
    I went to see Napoli for 10 euros and they’re top of the league. Incredible atmosphere and unbelievable football on show.
  • Sevilla v Barcelona in the final, and looks like it will be played at the Wanda Metropolitano.
  • Real Madrid v Real Socieded - 15 mins to K/O
    imageimage
  • 1-0 Vasquez.
  • Eibar up into 6th now after a last gasp winner at Leganes.

Smallest club in the division, average gates of 5k, and they're 5 points off a champions league spot.
  • edited February 2018

Eibar up into 6th now after a last gasp winner at Leganes.

Smallest club in the division, average gates of 5k, and they're 5 points off a champions league spot.

Eibar doing incredibly, and with Marko Dmitrovic in goal as well. To be where they are is amazing.